Husqvarna 445 worm gear oiler dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennsywoodburnr

supreme scrounger
Reaction score
I'm writing this for my next door neighbor who has a husky 445 saw he uses. Almost since day one, he's had problems with the bar and chain not getting enough oil to the point where the sprocket on the bar nose locks up with sawdust and seizes the chain. He'll clean everything all up, free up whatever was seized, then go back to cutting. After a little bit, the same problem will come back. On a recent call to bailey's while placing an order, I talked with the guy about it and he said there were plastic parts in the oiler that were prone to breaking and that husky had a new part for it that was more durable and could be retrofitted in his saw. He got the saw as a father's day present not last year, but the year before. I would guess it's still under the 2 year warranty? Any help is appreciated.

I not sure if the 455 shares the same oiling system as the 240, but I wouldn't be surprised. I had the same oiling problem and after changing out the oil pump, and pickup, it still wouldn't oil! The problem was the rubber piece carrying the oil up to the bar closing up when the bar was tightened up. I used my Dremel to open up the channel in it and that fixed the problem. It worked on the 240, may be the answer on the 455.

Thanks spike, much appreciated. But is the new part upgraded to make sure it doesn't do it again?

Yes. The new part number is 540057901, the plastic gear on the pump piston being improved. (original part number was 503932101)

A little explanation on this system though: This is the same set up that was used on the earlier 340/345 and carried over to the 445/450. In this case the gear on the piston is plastic, while the oil drive gear has a metal spiral on it. So, in effect the Pump piston is supposed to fail ahead of the oil gear. In most cases, the reverse is true with an all plastic oil gear turning an all metal pump piston.

Back