Husqvarna 455 questions????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I have a stihl ms210 right now. I make dirt bike tracks and trails and clear paths and also cut a good amount of firewood to sell for a little extra cash to have on hand "just incase the bike blows up". So ive been wanting to move up to a bigger saw for a while. I got this saw for my bday when i was 12. I helped my grandfather and cut trails. Now im 16 knowing how to cut better than alot of my neighbors supprisingly alot of people are inexperienced lol. But i was looking and i would love to have a new stihl but there just too expensive. So i looked at the husky rancher. I liked the saw and my grandfather has one that i use when cutting for him. It has a 20 on it and seems kinda sluggish. My questions are would it be better if i put a 16 or 18 on there and did a muffeler mod as i did on my 210 I have been trying to get $ this month by selling my old saw and working so I still have a couple weeks before i get all the cash i need to get a new saw wat are your oppinions are there any stihls i could get for the same price everywhere ive checked there more than the huskys idk wat to do:cry:

sounds like you mind is set on the stihl,so why not...

I have a ms 210 and I would like to se your muffler mod that you have done with yours. thanks

The 455 is a good saw for the money. The saw purists here poo poo anything that isn't an XP or other pro grade saw, but the 455 will definitely eat some wood. Replace the crappy chain it comes with with a good Stihl or WoodlandPRO chain and you'll see what it can do. Also, make sure the muffler bolts stay tight, they are the weak link in this saw.

what do you guys think of a ms310 i kinda wana stick with still the 455 at the shop is 400 and the 310 at a diff shop is 400 witha 16 in bar and thats what i want and plus i can get a discound because im a member of the future farmers of america

Hey man look for you a good used or new 029 Super or 290. It has the same cc engine as the 455 and is a stronger saw with a muffler mod. I've got a bunch of um and they get the crap run out of them all the time. You can get a brand new 290 around here for $359 out the door price. I just used my discount to buy one for a friend. I'm sure you can see buy my sig. I'm mostly a Stihl man. But out of all of these the 026,028's and 029's get the most run time. It will cut what ever you need it to. We probably run ours more in a month than you will in year, and they never let me down. I work on um also and I think they are easier to work on than the Huskies. Good luck and saw safe. All this is just my opinion.:chainsaw:

455 and 460's are boat anchors toss them. go to the pro series like xps or pros from stihl 455's are a waste if time. take one apart You will see what I mean totaly a home owner saw

I have a 455 and I've cut A LOT of wood with it. Never an issue what so ever. Great saw. I've cut through 36"+ white oak logs with it and its done well. For a heavy duty occasional use saw, not sure there's a better deal out there.

Go to Lowes

Go to Lowes and buy the rancher, use it stock until you get used to it and read modding posts. Then drill a couple a half inch holes in the muffler and retune the carb. The rancher modded will smoke a 361 stock. I just saw it this very weekend at a friends house.
Anyway I used one one season to cut firewood to sell. During that time I had a tree fall on the saw, I took it back to Lowes and they gave me a brand new one-no questions. Why spend the extra dough for a overpriced junk Stihl-save it for bike parts. Get the Rancher!

I always hear how those 455's are junk. I have one. I use it for an all around saw from clearing trails (We have 14 miles of horse & motorcycle trails on the farm) to firewood. I use mine weekly. It lives on a quad. It IS a bit heavy for the power it makes. But for what I use it for...its just fine. Is it junk? I don't think so from my time with the saw.

I've posted this before...typical of my firewood.

picture.php

Back