Husqvarna 455 Rancher Oil problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtg

Reaction score
My saw puts out too much oil. It drips from the clutch area about 1 drip every 5 seconds when running. It is 2yrs old. It is set on the lowest setting. I have replaced the oil pump, both hoses, cleaned every passageway. The oil appears to come from the oil pump output area on the pump body, but it's hard to tell since it gets all around the clutch area. The chain and bar are getting more oil than necessary in addition to the mess around the clutch. The vent hole stays clean and dry. The filter in the tank is clean and so is the tank. Im using Stihl Bioplus, but tried Echo oil at Home Depot a few weeks ago and no improvement. They say it's 30 Wt, but it says "all season". Replaced the outer hose yesterday after a thunderstorm so it was around 70 deg outside, no improvement. If there's a case crack I can't see it. Have asked around a lot a nobody's got a clue. Just bought an Echo CS-450 15 min ago so i can get back to my firewood pile. If nobody can help me I'm going to modify the Husky intake hose so it can't flow so much volume. Help! Please. Oh yeah, it does drip when off sometimes, but not consistently.

Thanks.

I don't know the viscosity of the Stihl Bio...but the Echo (or any) that is
30 wt viscosity is waaay too thin especially in the hot summer temps!!

Get some Stihl or Husky regular bar oil (thick as molasses almost) and see
if that corrects the leak problem. Give it a few minutes to flush out the thin oil.
(This is of course after draining the thin oil out and replacing with the thicker oil)
Hope this works for ya!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Just switch to a heavier weight bar oil, plain and simple, 70 degrees loosens lots up

When you said it drips x number of oil when running is that at idle? If so you have a problem with your pump, it should only oil when the clutch is engaged.

Thanks all! I thought 30 wt was summer oil. No? Anyway it is not likely a summer temp issue, up here in Vermont it is pretty cool in the mornings and evenings and I don't use it when it warms up mid day. I will try the thicker oil to be sure, but I thought everybody's summer oil was 30 wt.

By the way I returned the Echo right away, ran so hot the top cover stung my fingers and the chain wasn't oiling enough, ironic huh?

Any suggestions on a second saw to buy, around 40-50cc? I want as much metal as possible, no more plastic crank cases.

455 Oiler not working

Anyone have a fix or upgrade for a 455 rancher oiler not working? I only use it as a limbing saw but still eats up a bar and chain with out oiling. Ive tore it down and cleaned the oiling system with compressed air and it seems to work for a min and then it quits.

I think they was some discussion somwhere on this site and was talking about a upgrade kit to make it oil better. Mine does not oil enough either. Seems to be a little flaw in the design.

The 357XP-359-455-460 all use the same OP. The only difference is the 2009 and newer use a different PN pump piston. 2009-2010 use PN: 537-0693-02 2008 and older use PN: 537-0693-01. There may be a difference in the oil volume. My 2005 455 and my 359's 20" bar put out plenty of oil. Have you checked the tank vent PN: 530-0261-19 duckbill and 537-4035-01 Plug and or replaced it? The IPL shows a non adjustable and an adjustable pump they both use the same piston PN: 537-0693-01????
Shep

Latest posts

Back