Husqvarna 455 Rancher project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviez

Reaction score
Picked up a Husky 455 Rancher that was locked up for parts. Broke it free, didn't take much, put gas in it and it fired up. BUT needs a Muffler. went to order the Muffler and because the Piston was scored the dealer wouldn't sell me the muffler. So I did some reading and some compression checks, I have 90+ when cold. I took the cylindr off and above the ports the scoring is minimal. below the ports well, its a little worse. I cleaned up the piston, but it still has some grooves, but the ring flotas freely now.

So the saw overall looks good, but I'm not sure I want to spend the $270 on a new piston/cylinder. I plan to use the saw occasionally but I want to do the work right. what is the opinion of using a ball hone or something similar to clean up the cylinder and put in a new piston/ring combination? scratches above the ports I can barely feel with my finger nail.

Steviez

We were all new here once

Welcome to AS, take a look around and feel free to use the search function. There is a good thread about rebuilding a Stihl 029/MS290, very similar to what you will need with your 455.

Might also consider threads concerning muratic acid.

Back