Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull2five

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying the 455 Rancher 20” 55cc which is a big upgrade compared to the older Poulan 20” 42cc that I have now. I’m doing tree work on the weekends and was wondering if this would be a good saw or if I should spend few hundred dollars more and buy a Husqvarna Pro series that is comparbale in cc’s like the357xp. I already have the Husqvarna 334t for cutting in the tops of trees and needed some advice if I would be better off spending extra on the professional grade saw. I’m leaning to the 455 because they sell it at Lowes and I have a few gift cards saved up. :)
Any comments would be appreciated

The minimum saw I would pick up is a 353 Husqvarna. This is a semi pro saw, and only costs around 30 to 40 dollars more than the 455, AND is much more durable with its Mag. crankcase and aluminum handlebar.

The 455 isn't a bad saw, but...

A 346xp is smaller, lighter and will out cut a 455.

I like the mag (metal) cases and power of the 353, 346xp, 357xp, 359.

Ohh, and I failed to mention that a 353 can be turned into a little hot rod down the road if it needs rebuilt. A 346xp piston and cylinder will bolt right on and add a NON CAT muffler. Just somthing to think about anyways....

The minimum saw I would pick up is a 353 Husqvarna. This is a semi pro saw, and only costs around 30 to 40 dollars more than the 455, AND is much more durable with its Mag. crankcase and aluminum handlebar.

Thanks for the heads up I had no clue about better crankcase and aluminum handlebar.
The saw that really caught my eye on Husqvarna site was the 365. It seems to be great bang for the buck. I posted the link below

HUSQVARNA 365 - Professional chainsaws

The 365 is a killer deal and a lot of saw for the money. If you need one that large...

Oh and you'll need to go to a real saw shop for these better models. Not the big box stores.

The 455 isn't a bad saw, but...

A 346xp is smaller, lighter and will out cut a 455.

I like the mag (metal) cases and power of the 353, 346xp, 357xp, 359.

Do you know anything about the 365? Seems odd that this 70cc saw is so much cheaper than the 372xp.

The 365 is a killer deal and a lot of saw for the money. If you need one that large...

Oh and you'll need to go to a real saw shop for these better models. Not the big box stores.

Yes I can't use my Lowes GC on these bad boys. :msp_mad:
If the professional saw will last longer it's a no brainer for me.:smile2:
Thanks for your help.

What are you saying 455's crankcase is made of? (Some folks allege that some saws have plastic crankcases. Honest. That would work great for retaining bearing races and threaded fasteners. :msp_tongue: )

So, your choices would be aluminum and magnesium, and you've scratched magnesium.

I found a 365 on Ebay and they are calling it a Rancher. Maybe that's why it's less expensive than the 372xp that is also a 70cc but $230 more. I'm going to visit my local Husqvarna shop this week and will keep you posted.

Yes the 455 is built from questionable materials, but I had one for many years and I could not kill it. Always ran perfectly. I left gas in it, used old gas, cheap 2-stroke oil, etc. I sold it last year, but only because I have too many saws. I always ran an 18" bar with 3/8" .050 chain, and it seemed a good size for the saw.

I'm looking at buying the 455 Rancher 20” 55cc which is a big upgrade compared to the older Poulan 20” 42cc that I have now. I’m doing tree work on the weekends and was wondering if this would be a good saw or if I should spend few hundred dollars more and buy a Husqvarna Pro series that is comparbale in cc’s like the357xp. I already have the Husqvarna 334t for cutting in the tops of trees and needed some advice if I would be better off spending extra on the professional grade saw. I’m leaning to the 455 because they sell it at Lowes and I have a few gift cards saved up. :)
Any comments would be appreciated
I own a 455 and bought it new in early 2009. Has worked flawlessly for my firewood cutting, perhaps 10-20 hours per year. Would I buy the same saw again, NO. Today I would get a used pro saw for the lighter weight and more power. Also I now know how to tune a 2-stroke, something I was clueless on 3 years ago.

Lot of knowledgeable folks on this board, give them a better idea what you cut and how often and I'm sure you'll get relevant advice.

Do you know anything about the 365? Seems odd that this 70cc saw is so much cheaper than the 372xp.

The new XT model 365 has the same piston as a 372XT but just has restrictors in the transfer port covers to reduce engine max rpm and thus reducing the paper HP figures. so basicily its a detuned 372XT with a smaller air filter.

Just my opinion and my opinion only, Shy away from the husky 455 rancher. I picked 1 up the other day in a local sears just to see how it felt. What a piece of crap i think. My wife was with me and as I was holding it, she asked "is that what you want ? I said no, I would blow this think up in a week" Bottom line is if you want a husky stay away from the homeowner box store stuff, Get no less then a 346xp or something and cut with it for many years.

Yes the 455 is built from questionable materials, but I had one for many years and I could not kill it. Always ran perfectly. I left gas in it, used old gas, cheap 2-stroke oil, etc. I sold it last year, but only because I have too many saws. I always ran an 18" bar with 3/8" .050 chain, and it seemed a good size for the saw.

Thanks for the info.

I own a 455 and bought it new in early 2009. Has worked flawlessly for my firewood cutting, perhaps 10-20 hours per year. Would I buy the same saw again, NO. Today I would get a used pro saw for the lighter weight and more power. Also I now know how to tune a 2-stroke, something I was clueless on 3 years ago.

Lot of knowledgeable folks on this board, give them a better idea what you cut and how often and I'm sure you'll get relevant advice.

I will be trimming and cutting down mature pines and oak trees on the weekends for as long as I can find work which i hope is every weekend.

The 365XT is a great deal for the price. You will not find a better saw for the price PERIOD. Im not too fond of the new X-torq saws but the 365 does well in this configuration.

Just found out that the local dealer is 2 miles from the house and has two of them in stock with 20". For $10 more he will put on a 24" bar.:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back