Husqvarna 460 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I return the Husky 460?

• Yes

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters
Bad thing is...I only have a little shed to put them in...lol. Plan is to build a 24x24 garage next year.
Send some of them bad boys my way...I'll show'em the respect they deserve sitting on my shelves and bench tops...and lie like a rug...'You damn right all them saws are mine, they sittin in my damn shop ain't they?' Lol

They cannot complain about my comment unless the world of fantasy has taken over. I've ran both saws and neither of them were tired or wrong. I even think the 455 rancher is about equal to the 590 in the wood.

I'm not saying echo sucks or anything like that. I'm talking about the 590.

Every time someone makes a statement like yours, I think of Andre's vid of his MM'd 590 (new) cutting close to his ported 361 (broke in). I guess owning a Rancher is almost like owning a Stihl...hahaha:):

Every time someone makes a statement like yours, I think of Andre's vid of his MM'd 590 (new) cutting close to his ported 361 (broke in). I guess owning a Rancher is almost like owning a Stihl...hahaha:):

I think he was cuttin up Idaho more than anything...the 590 Timberwolf is a fine 60cc saw. And for around $360, I can get'em out the door, they're a damn good saw. I still think think the best bang for the buck...minus the power head weight. Little heavy for most folks I 'spose...maybe need a subscription to Planet Fitness, lol. I ain't bustin no saw mfg when it comes down to it, like I've always said, check out that box store **** I got...but Echo is a real deal player in the saw world. We all can say what we want, but what we want brand-wise, the fact remains...Echo is a strong saw choice. That little CS-370 I got, ain't missed a beat in the 5 yrs I've run that thing. Just sayin...

I'll eat my words when I go down to the hardware store and see a MM'd cs-590 sitting on the shelf for sale as a standard model.

I have too many saws of every brand to be biased, and I happen to like echo and shindaiwa o_O

Thanks guys for the feedback. I will be keeping the 460 Rancher for now and if I have any issues, next time I will buy a "real" chainsaw. Already got the Carlton Speedtip 18" bar on order from Amazon and will be getting few additional parts from Bailey's. Any suggestions on "must have" accessories for this saw? (or general accessories other than safety clothing/equipment?)

Right now the 460 rancher is my only saw. I use it to cut both soft and hard woods up to about 20-25" dbh trees. I have had mine two years now bought it new and the only issue I have had with it is the oiler leaks a little other then that It cuts everything I have given it. The 24" bar is a bit long for it if your getting into hard woods. Go with an 18 or 20" *i run the 20" bar* it likely comes with the safety chain might as well throw that in the garbage can and get a couple loops of Oregon lgx. It's a good dependable saw for falling my east coast little trees, limbing them and bucking them down. Just make sure you tune it for your elevation *asjust the mixture screws*. If your chains are filed as. Aggressive as mine then you only need a light touch going through the wood to pull big chips as a heavy hand will bog it. :) I use mine everyday 5-7 hours a day this time of year
Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Ha! After reading about chains, I had the LGX on my list and at the end ended up ordering the "green" husky chain just because the manufacturer recommended that chain :) Will get the LGX next time for sure.

I recommend swapping out the single little spike for the dual felling spikes from a 357/359xp part number 544283801, bailey's has them for around $4. They help keep the case off the trees

Thanks for the suggestion! Just added the part to my "cart" on Bailey's.

I'll eat my words when I go down to the hardware store and see a MM'd cs-590 sitting on the shelf for sale as a standard model.

Hey, I know what ya mean...The five minutes it takes to cut the 90* deflector out is just too much for some. After reading the OP's dilemma (if that's what it's called), I'm pretty sure he is the type that might struggle with this difficult mod as well. Probably a good choice to stick with the Rancher.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I will be keeping the 460 Rancher for now and if I have any issues, next time I will buy a "real" chainsaw. Already got the Carlton Speedtip 18" bar on order from Amazon and will be getting few additional parts from Bailey's. Any suggestions on "must have" accessories for this saw? (or general accessories other than safety clothing/equipment?)

Ha! After reading about chains, I had the LGX on my list and at the end ended up ordering the "green" husky chain just because the manufacturer recommended that chain :) Will get the LGX next time for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion! Just added the part to my "cart" on Bailey's.
When you get the spikes the outer spike will need a bit of shaping along the top of where it bolts on using the bar bolts. It's just a hair to big to fit into the recess of the 460 but 10 seconds with a bench grinder shaves it down enough to fit

If you zoom in a bit you can see where I had to clearance a bit above the front bolt to fit in the recess and below it as well to clear the chain adjuster
d52940140a6b2b533da2b3cf9fa95cbd.jpg

When you get the spikes the outer spike will need a bit of shaping along the top of where it bolts on using the bar bolts. It's just a hair to big to fit into the recess of the 460 but 10 seconds with a bench grinder shaves it down enough to fit

If you zoom in a bit you can see where I had to clearance a bit above the front bolt to fit in the recess and below it as well to clear the chain adjuster
d52940140a6b2b533da2b3cf9fa95cbd.jpg
Nice mod to get the dual dogs. Liking that.

I always like pics no matter what the saw. Post some when u get the new bar and spike. That's a good saw for your needs and should suit you very well. Make sure to clean out built up oily sawdust every once in a while and keep the chain sharp and air filter clean!! Good luck and be safe
I like that post...it don't make a damn what mfg'er saw we have...I think the best thing to bet on when buying saws is our own finances, where we are in life, kids in college expenses, older folks to take care of, etc.. What we can and can't afford at any given time...I want nothing more to have the saws that 99% folks here have. One day maybe I can do it...but I sure as hell ain't ashame to post up my box store **** in my sig and let it roll...one day I'll start adding/taking away from the saws, gettin better saws...My stuff cuts good, I take care of my saws, they afford and pay me back the same...I gots what little I gots fellas, nothing more...nothing less.

OP...best of luck with your saw, I think it'll serve ya well.

I just rebuilt a 455 and own a pre 2012 Echo CS600p (basically a 590 with a different drive system) and honestly for wood up to 14-16" the 455 would be ok but really for the same price is not cheaper the 590 would be way more versatile... And if you ver wanted to (esp at 7,000 ASL) you would muffler mod and put thebase gasket on the 590 to get a little more umph! :)

Thanks guys for the feedback. Much appreciated!

While I'm planning on placing an order from Baileys, I was wondering if there are some recommendations on what parts are a "good buy" from them?

The reason I ask, (in addition to my limited budget) is that I have noticed that their prices are significantly higher than Amazon and in some cases even above the MSRP. While I always try to support small businesses, I can't really afford to pay high prices and expensive shipping.

Do you really buy from them your regular saw parts or do you only buy items that you can't get from Amazon or your local dealership?

Amazon is tough to beat. I will often get chains from there when I see them priced well. Otherwise loggerchain.com has great deals on chains if you buy a couple at once to amortize the shipping cost.

I got a nice 20" bar from Baileys for about $22 on sale this fall. I just watch around for sales like this. There are lots of good deals that come across the trading post here as well.

If you need actual saw parts there are a few sponsors here or Ebay is a good place to look also.

From browsing Bailey's online they have some great prices in some cases a fraction of what us northerners pay, but like a lot of us retailers including amazon cost of shipping has become a major drawback for us canucks.

Don't forget to check LeftCoast supply, they have a great deal on chains!

I was looking at new saws today, the 555 is a LOT more than the 460. I've been thinking of buying a 460 my self...

SR
I have a 460 i just bought a month or 2 ago and im dropping 28"-32"ish red oaks with with no issues so far... i wanted to go with a "xp" line but i just couldn't swing that price at the moment.

I gave my son a new 460 rancher with a 24” bar. I got him a 24” skip tooth chain and a 18” bar with a skip tooth chain too. Yesterday I gave him a Husqvarna 570 xtorque. He has some bigger trees to cut.

I’m thinking the husky rancher 460 is one of the better selling rancher models.

It won,t out cut my 576xp or MS-660 but it,s a good reliable all around saw . Came with a 18" bar that the dealer upgraded with a new 20 " bar and Oregon chain at no extra cost . 8 yrs old no issues !

Latest posts

Back