Husqvarna 50 , need some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris moss

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just bought a husqvarna 50 at a yard sale for 20 bucks , as I have use other people saw''s in the past , this would be my first , I could tell right off the compression was low on it by the way it felt when you pull it, it has spark, new plug,fresh gas, etc , will not even fire with starting fluid, I did a compression test and it's reading 60 which I know is low , the tag is missing that has the s/n on it so I don't know the year of the saw, and or which kit to buy to rebuild, is there any other way to find this info out? I did some research so from the looks of the saw its not a special , nor does it have a 300 tag on it , so does it have a 44 or 45 mm piston? I don't want to tear into it and measure the saws piston until I have everything to put it back toget her right then and there because I never took one apart before or built one , so any help ? Oh and it's a black top /cover 50

Take lots of pics of how parts fit. If not a Special, it'll be 44mm. Before I bought any parts, I'd pull jug and examine for scoring. Also, check bore diam. Can jug be cleaned of Al transfer, reused and need only piston kit?
Or need whole top end? Need to learn why top end toasted in the first place and remedy...straight gas? too lean on carb tune? intake air leak? crank seal air leak? cyl/case air leak?
This saw can become a 55, also.

Thanks dougand3 I will do what you suggested, and the more I read the more I'm learning this could be more troubling then first thought , may need a complete teardown and rebuild or maybe just rings , guess I won't be able to tell until I get into , thanks for the info and I'd be interested in making it a 55, big bore kit im Guessing? , I read a lot on theses husky saws and seems to be a good firewood saw , and that's what I need , I will keep you and anyone else posted on what I find , thank's again

When you order your parts, get both crank seals, intake boot, and impulse grommet. There is a special puller to get the oil pump worm drive off. Before I had it, I used a front axle nut off a 93 Honda Accord and a 2 arm puller if I remember correctly. The nut only threaded on a couple threads, but it was enough to get it off. The factory puller doubles as the worm gear driver and installs it in the correct position. You'll have to improvise that as well. That's the only tough part of the saw, that's why I explained it. Be careful with the intake carb threads and be certain the plastic intake is flat where it mounts to the carb. It's my favorite saw and it's worth working on.

https://husqvarna51.shutterfly.com/

Latest posts

Back