Husqvarna 50 Rancher Closed Port?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a 1985 Husqvarna 50 Rancher - at least the handle inserts say Rancher. The ID plate is silver and has the numbers 5414813 and Husqvarna 50 on it.. The top cover- recoil and chain brake covers could have been replaced at some point. The cylinder appears to be a closed port. The 3 bottom fins are cut out as was indicated as an identification method cited on another thread. I do not see any +++++ on the cyl. and can only make out the numbers 1691-2 on the base as it is still on the saw. There is a blue V on the top of the cylinder - no numbers. I Read on another site that Husqvarna rotated different parts - cylinders- cranks and pistons on this model back in the eighties. The Partner 5000 cyl.and piston and other parts were reportedly also used on some of the early 50 models as well. The CP P5000Plus was also used. Could this saw possibly have the CP 5000 Plus on it?

Last edited:
As I remember it, putting a closed port P5000 top end in that saw was a quite common modification - but I doubt any of them came that way from the factory. I know that some dealers used to do it for a while - so you may have found one of those saws.

The saw is from 1985 week 41, so the original top cover should be dark grey/blackish.

The top cover is dark grey/black and looks like the original. The numbers I can read, without removing the cylinder, is what is confusing. They don't seem to match a Husqvarna cylinder but I could be way off base. Those 3 cut away bottom fins seem to indicate a CP though. Never have seen a blue V on a cylinder before but haven't run a 5000 Partner since the 80's when we were cutting pulp wood for the paper mills.

Hey mainewoods,
See you have a 55 CP on your list. I just purchased one Sunday from Neal on the Tradin' Post. How do you like yours compared to your 55 Rancher? Hope to get some good use out of mine this fall come firewood time.

Not trying to hijack the thread but what,what....the 5000 partner cylinder MIGHT fit in to some husky too ?

if so, then What Models, except for the 50?

Modding mufflers and carb arent an issue, but if theres some common husky or jonsered, that have same stroke and bolt pattern, and could be fitted in to 5000 cylinder with some simple grinding etc, would be nice...

Mainewoods, pull the muffler and look through the exhaust port. You can plainly see the transfers and will be able to tell if it is open port or closed port. No more guessing that way.

I pulled the muffler and it is apparently a CP. I have owned several 50's in the past and they cut really well. This one was exceptional. Now I know why I guess. My question is, why is there a CP in it to begin with and is it a 5000Plus. My understanding is that the 5000Plus is a CP and a direct bolt on. I did buy it used- have cut many cord of wood with it and it still runs strong. Last check it was 165 psi. Unfortunately I got it pinched in a big maple and had to cut it out. In that process the saw dropped out of the cut ( maybe 2 feet) and soon started leaking bar oil - excessively. Perhaps as ST stated I found one that was swapped by a dealer in the 80's. Seemed to be a fairly common practice then because the 5000Plus performed better than the OE stock P/C.

Not trying to hijack the thread but what,what....the 5000 partner cylinder MIGHT fit in to some husky too ?

if so, then What Models, except for the 50?

Modding mufflers and carb arent an issue, but if theres some common husky or jonsered, that have same stroke and bolt pattern, and could be fitted in to 5000 cylinder with some simple grinding etc, would be nice...

As I remember the story, the P5000 cylinder runs even better on the Husky 50 that it does on the P5000 and 490 that it originally came on - and of course better than the original open port one.

I don't think there are more Husky models with both the same stroke and exactly the same bolt pattern, but the bolt pattern for the 50 Special, 51 and 55 is very close (stroke is the same).

The piston and cyl. have no scoring and the ring looks good, but the saw itself has seen a lot of wood and the case sounds like it might be getting a little tired. Doesn't seem like it should have started leaking bar oil that easily.

I have a 1985 Husqvarna 50 Rancher... The cylinder appears to be a closed port. The 3 bottom fins are cut out as was indicated as an identification method cited on another thread....

I have a 51 with a cylinder that has the bottom three fins cut. It was in VG+ condition when I got it, so I doubt that any parts had been swapped/replaced. I haven't looked through the exhaust.

There were a few 50 Specials that had the Partner P5000 cylinder put on them at the distributer in Charlotte, NC. These saws had an addition to the serial number, a letter "M". They were marketed to the dealers as Husky 50 Special Magnums with only the serial number plate being stamped "M" being different on the outside of the saw. I have one, it came with a white top. Not sure if they continued to pump these out in the later models.

I have a 1985 Husqvarna 50 that I bought brand new. It's not a rancher or a special, just a 50. It has the slide choke in the top cover. I don't know the difference between closed and open ports. I just know this was my only saw for 15 years and it has cut alot of wood and it still runs good now.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm sure there were several modified over the years, maybe even by other distributers before being sold new. I wish I could find more of those cylinders......

Latest posts

Back