Husqvarna 50 to 55 carb for best performance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I recently put a 55 big bore kit on a 50 Husqvarna and it runs well, but Im thinking it's under carbureted now. I have a 13.5 mm Zama c1 without the choke butterfly that I could do a swap with and retain the 50 style choke, but I feel this old choke setup is kind of Mikey mouse compared to the 51-55 style.
Would I gain better flow going with the later style choke and filter, or is it more dependant on swapping out a bigger carb.
I'm concerned the close proximity of the 50's filter mounted choke flap to the air horn it seals against will negate any increase in airflow I may have with a bigger carb.
Anyone know the best combo for performance?

I recently put a 55 big bore kit on a 50 Husqvarna and it runs well, but Im thinking it's under carbureted now. I have a 13.5 mm Zama c1 without the choke butterfly that I could do a swap with and retain the 50 style choke, but I feel this old choke setup is kind of Mikey mouse compared to the 51-55 style.
Would I gain better flow going with the later style choke and filter, or is it more dependant on swapping out a bigger carb.
I'm concerned the close proximity of the 50's filter mounted choke flap to the air horn it seals against will negate any increase in airflow I may have with a bigger carb.
Anyone know the best combo for performance?
I doubt there's much, if any, performance to be gained by using a carb with a larger bore and/or jetting, or updating the air intake. Adequate fuel/air supply for the extra 4cc displacement should be achieved by adjusting the mixture screws.
My recollection (which may be incomplete) is that the relocation of the choke and other intake changes were made for the following reasons.
1. To enable use of flokked airfilter material.
2. To eliminate airfilter collapse or loosening due to choke operation causing fatigue of the filter's plastic spars.
3. In order to implement "air injection".

The most important performance element is the tuned intake extension or "air horn" on the filter mount which effectively lengthens the intake air column.

Latest posts

Back