Husqvarna 55 closed port project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Trexler

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just picked this guy up two days ago. Super clean saw but smoked top end. Cylinder I think I can save but piston I doubt. My question is there anywhere to find them or am I at the mercy of finding a used one?

Attachments

• 2015-02-25_17-09-14_669.jpg
    2015-02-25_17-09-14_669.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 2015-02-25_17-09-01_163.jpg
    2015-02-25_17-09-01_163.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2015-02-25_17-06-53_175.jpg
    2015-02-25_17-06-53_175.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2015-02-25_17-02-41_878.jpg
    2015-02-25_17-02-41_878.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 2015-02-25_17-02-13_459.jpg
    2015-02-25_17-02-13_459.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 27
The short answer is, NO. The longer version is, there are some options if you want to put some work in, but there is no OEM or aftermarket exact fit available for the closed port, windowed piston version.
Options are:
Husqvarna 254xp piston is close, but the wrist pin size is a different size. If you are handier than the average bear, you could make a bushing for the pin and go to town.
Jonsered 535 aftermarket piston is available and is also a close match. However, the piston height and dimension from the top of piston to pin may be different too. Again, if you are a clever bastid, and had a lathe and other machine tools and knowledge of port timing, squish ect you could most likely make this work.
Probably the easiest option is to use a husqvarna 51 piston, which is the same diameter and dimensions, but is not a windowed piston. Some modification is necessary to the jug but this is dremel modification we are talking about here, not lathe type modification. Pretty simple really. Take a read here, specifically post #16

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/hard-time-finding-the-right-piston-husky55.249742/
That modification is essentially how the new Meteor closed port Husky 55 cylinder kits are made, so its been endorsed by a major cylinder manufacturer.
You can also make your own windowed piston from a husqvarna 51 piston. Some have some concerns over the longevity of this option.

In reality I'm betting I can get away with using the old piston by polishing it up. But I do not plan on keeping this saw as I already have a absolutely mint closed port on the shelf. So for the sake of the buyer of this saw I was looking for a cleaner fix than just polishing it out. I'll get pictures of the cylinder and piston a little later.

Haven't even checked to be honest. I got the saw just like you see if in the last picture in pieces. I kind of suspect blown crank seal or the carb was leaned out too much.
Better check the intake tract closely and do a vac test. Theres all kinds of opportunity for trouble there.

Better check the intake tract closely and do a vac test. Theres all kinds of opportunity for trouble there.

I've been playing with the 460's I bought haven't even really paid any other saws much attention. Just finished this guy today. Cleaned up scoring, polished port, opened up muffler, and deleted base gasket.

Just picked this guy up two days ago. Super clean saw but smoked top end. Cylinder I think I can save but piston I doubt. My question is there anywhere to find them or am I at the mercy of finding a used one?

I bought the husqvarna oem closed port from Baileys a couple of years ago.. It is sitting in my garage on the shelf. Got a 55 open port...rounded up the closed port cylinder..just never switched it out yet. Think piston was 119.00

In reality I'm betting I can get away with using the old piston by polishing it up. But I do not plan on keeping this saw as I already have a absolutely mint closed port on the shelf. So for the sake of the buyer of this saw I was looking for a cleaner fix than just polishing it out. I'll get pictures of the cylinder and piston a little later.
you could send the piston to Calico Coatings and have the piston skirts coated and get some clearance back prob cost less then 50 bucks....

Latest posts

Back