Husqvarna 55/closed port ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tapping in to an old thread here. I'm refurbishing a lean-run husqvarna 55 from 1998. It's got the aluminum streaks etc, but nothing too bad. It's a closed port (++++++ on the cylinder, hollowed out piston) that seems to measure close to 44mm but I don't have a great measuring device. The problem is that I'm having the darndedst time figuring out what size ring to use. Anytime I look up specs/part numbers I wind up with something different - 55mm, 46mm, etc. Finally I called baileys and they recommended me a 46x1.5mm ring. Does anyone know the answer for sure, or have a foolproof way of finding out what size ring to use?
I'd be appreciative.

Well… It sounds like Bailey's gave you some mis-information.

It is possible it could be a 44 mm; more than likely a 45 mm; and very rare cases it may be 46 mm… But those closed port 46 MM top ends were only put on one or two early 90s saws that are pretty rare to begin with.

You need to accurately measure of the bore diameter. A pair of inexpensive 6 inch calipers would do the trick. Not to mention the fact, you would find yourself using them more often than you would think you would

Thanks, Sawgarage, you are probably right about using the calipers more than I would expect. Growing up building forts by eye with an axe, I am still amazed at the power of measuring tools! Just for the sake of clarity, once I determine the bore diameter, is that the measurement of the ring as well? (i.e. 45mm diameter bore = 45mm ring?)
To Svk, There are no blue or black ink stamps on the top. Pretty sure I checked, but I'll check again. At the base of the cylinder though, cast into the aluminum, is "mahle44n15" and some other digits and numerals I cannot recall in other areas. Don't know if that helps.

Latest posts

Back