Husqvarna 55 value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave P 71801

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently was offered this Husky 55 non Rancher as payment for a repair bill. It is very clean inside and out on the vac test it lost 1 psi in 2 min and on the pressure test it only lost a little more than 1/2 psi maybe 5/8 of a psi in 2 min. Compression is 165 and has a new OEM carburetor & air filter other than that it is all original as far as I can tell. All the plastic has a date stamp of 1995. It also has a new bar and chain. What do you all think its worth? How good of a saw is this? Lastly ive heard some are open port and some are closed port how can I tell the difference?0704200252b.jpg0704200252a.jpg0704200253a.jpg

It is a great, classic firewood saw. Not as hot as the 254/262, which is of similar dimension. Pretty close to the 257. It’s the sort of saw you’d give to your teenage son as his first personally owned saw, knowing it is capable of serious work without being too much saw, and that it is easy to work on.

Think of it as the equivalent to a Stihl 026: not exciting or flashy or the new hip thing to own on the chainsaw forums, but reliable and capable and well built.

The fact that this example is in such good cosmetic shape is an added bonus!

In such clean shape, 200 is fair. Dirty examples will sit on marketplace locally at 150

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Looks like it would work out ok for me since the total shop bill is $160 and I've only put out $110 in parts so I guess I'll probably pick it up just because its so clean and it runs just as strong as my 026 probably better down low. Do they respond well to a muffler mod and timing advance?

Looks like it would work out ok for me since the total shop bill is $160 and I've only put out $110 in parts so I guess I'll probably pick it up just because its so clean and it runs just as strong as my 026 probably better down low. Do they respond well to a muffler mod and timing advance?
hi guys, out here on the west coast i,ve seen 55,s as high as $ 350 but not selling very fast. I bought a straight gased 51 for 80 and put a oem 46mm p/c on it. I now have approx 200 in it. very reliable well built 53cc saw. its as nice as yours so it should last me a long time. gray top 40

Do they respond well to a muffler mod and timing advance?
My dad gave me his 55 Rancher.
"If you can get it running you can have it."
Our an aftermarket carb and a tune up kit on it. Opened up the muffler and tuned the carb. I ran it the other day with him and he said it looked like it was cutting better than when new.
I didn't do any timing advance on it.

I sold a 51 that was clean for 225 recently, got a couple of 51's that I put aftermarket 55 top ends on that are advertised for 250, but I'll take 225, and got a 55 that I've had forever and wouldn't sell unless I was desperate for cash.....nice saws to use and work on...plenty of aftermarket parts.

My Husky 257 is stronger than any Stihl 026 or even my Stihl 026 PRO. I installed a 55 top end on my Husky 51 and now it runs almost even with my 257. My 026 PRO is jealous of both of them. Then again, it's also jealous of my Husky 353.

If I were OP, I would not sell this saw. It looks to be in immaculate condition. a keeper all the way.

My Husky 257 is stronger than any Stihl 026 or even my Stihl 026 PRO. I installed a 55 top end on my Husky 51 and now it runs almost even with my 257. My 026 PRO is jealous of both of them. Then again, it's also jealous of my Husky 353.

If I were OP, I would not sell this saw. It looks to be in immaculate condition. a keeper all the way.
Yes it is in immaculate condition i was checking the value before taking it as payment for a shop bill based on what I was told I did the deal and its my saw now.

I found out I am now only the 2nd owner. The previous owner bought it new in 1996 then it got shelved when he got a 026 because he liked the smaller size of the 026. Then he said he got it back out last year had the fuel tank cleaned, fuel line & filter replaced, carb replaced, and the intake and impulse connector replaced and tried it again over 20 years later and he said he still didn't like the large physical size, so now its mine so far I really like it, but I can tell there is a lot more power there just gotta find it. I think I'm starting with a muff mod and retune. But where do I go next? There are not very many Husqvarnas around here other than box store models so I don't have much experience working on them or modding them.

I'm almost completely Deaf from an incident years ago so I can't hear when I'm tuning at all I have to use a tach does anybody have the tuning specs for the Husqvarna 55 or can somebody tell me how to tach tune this saw

I'm almost completely Deaf from an incident years ago so I can't hear when I'm tuning at all I have to use a tach does anybody have the tuning specs for the Husqvarna 55 or can somebody tell me how to tach tune this saw
I just milled 2 5/16 evenly spaced holes in the upper half of the muffler and i noticed a difference. it also diverted away a % of the exhaust pressure from the clutch brake cover. less burning on the front tip of the cover. if any now. good luck graytop

Back