Husqvarna 550XP boat anchor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushbugger

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old Husqvarna 550xp. Worked fine until the Crank Seal went and I discovered the damn thing is designed/manufactured with a plastic Crankshaft Bearing. WTF... pretty much a write-off considering the cost to rebuild it.
I have read on many web sites that this has been an issue with this model of saw and it doesn't look like Husqvarna gives a damn....unless it is under their pathetic warranty.

Has any one ever heard of a class-action lawsuit against the makers of this garbage? If so, let me know.
Lost all faith in husqvarna, can't convince myself to buy a saw with plastic crank bearings. They are basically selling cheap knock-off Chinese garbage and asking premium price for it.
Time for Husqvarna to clean house and send those phoney engineers packing...who the heck expects a plastic bearing to last in a chainsaw!!!
Class-action is the only way they will clean up their mess!!

The bearings are not plastic, the cage is, all they do is center the balls, many saws from many brands use bearings with nylon cages. If everything else on the saw is fine new bearings aren't expensive, a new short block is not much either. A class action over what? It's a $450 chainsaw they don't last forever, and a lot of things can cause bearing failures often the operator. Now yes the 550 had it's troubles, the reason we now have a 550 MK-II.

The bearings are not plastic, the cage is, all they do is center the balls, many saws from many brands use bearings with nylon cages. If everything else on the saw is fine new bearings aren't expensive, a new short block is not much either. A class action over what? It's a $450 chainsaw they don't last forever, and a lot of things can cause bearing failures often the operator. Now yes the 550 had it's troubles, the reason we now have a 550 MK-II.
So I can assume by your comments that you are a Dealer or a Husqvarna employee? Do you even own one of these saws?

So, WOW...blaming the operator!!
Just so happens, I have an Husky XP254 and a 125L weed whacker that are 25 years old and work perfectly....do you suppose I am not "operating" them properly?
I am guessing if I was to pull one of these beauties apart I would find the bearings are steel.

BTW....In Canada, the cost of a new saw (550XP) is $1000 (that's CDN $), cost to have the saw repaired at the dealer is $600 (again CDN$). Would you spend $600 to install plastic caged bearings in anything with a gas motor?

Husqvarna is now putting out cheap crap. If I am reading the posts correctly, Husqvarna is not the only one making crap products.
Don't you think a class action against Husqvarna wouldn't send them all the message that they need to stand by their products?

Not sure if mine is the MK-II, it might be the earlier version...at this point it doesn't matter
If Husqvarna had to come out with a second version, obviously they realize there is problem with the first. But what have they done for the poor suckers like me that bought the crappy version.....nothing.

I suggest that both Versions are crap and in time you will realize that too...if you even have one!!

Attachments

• 254XL-125L.JPG
    254XL-125L.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 550XP.JPG
    550XP.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
So I can assume by your comments that you are a Dealer or a Husqvarna employee? Do you even own one of these saws?

Just so happens, I have an Husky XP254 and a 125L weed whacker that are 25 years old and work perfectly....do you suppose I am not "operating" them properly?
I am guessing if I was to pull one of these beauties apart I would find the bearings are steel.

BTW....In Canada, the cost of a new saw (550XP) is $1000 (that's CDN $), cost to have the saw repaired at the dealer is $600 (again CDN$). Would you spend $600 to install plastic caged bearings in anything with a gas motor?

Husqvarna is now putting out cheap crap. If I am reading the posts correctly, Husqvarna is not the only one making crap products.
Don't you think a class action against Husqvarna wouldn't send them all the message that they need to stand by their products?

Not sure if mine is the MK-II, it might be the earlier version...at this point it doesn't matter
If Husqvarna had to come out with a second version, obviously they realize there is problem with the first. But what have they done for the poor suckers like me that bought the crappy version.....nothing.

I suggest that both Versions are crap and in time you will realize that too...if you even have one!!
Didn't see Andy blaming you pal. I think his comment was a generalization. Have seen many operator errors on saw threads over the years. I think you owe him an apology. You won't get any respect here talking like that on your second post.

I have read on many web sites that this has been an issue with this model of saw and it doesn't look like Husqvarna gives a damn....unless it is under their pathetic warranty.

Has any one ever heard of a class-action lawsuit against the makers of this garbage? If so, let me know.
Class-action is the only way they will clean up their mess!!
Have you taken your complaint to the manufacturer and received an unsatisfactory response?
I recommend against using slanderous statements like "cheap knock-off Chinese garbage" and "phoney engineers" which may not go down well with those assessing your case, especially in the unlikely event of personal or class litigation.

You need to seriously pump the brakes cowboy...Andy is probably one of the most qualified people in this group to give advice on any make and model saw...you think 2 or 3 pieced of equipment is of any significance at all, thats laughable.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

We need information on that saw and it is stored on it's software. Number of hours used, started, idled, fuel quality, etc. Running a log wizard? Those saws like to idle or run wide open, no half throttle. An upgrade to 372x-torq was tighter tolerance nylon caged bearings and then used in many.

So I can assume by your comments that you are a Dealer or a Husqvarna employee?
nope.

Do you even own one of these saws?
Yes

The bearing are steel with nylon cages. Nylon is used on the inside of many engines, likely in the car/truck you own.

No, I would do it myself. A new short block is like $150. So clean old parts, put them on short block.

Again a class action over a five year old, form the looks of it a somewhat well used saw, with unknown history? OK good luck with that. The 550 was for the most part a POS, I have threads I started myself with my findings and own issues, all of which I fixed myself. When running correctly, it may just be the best 50cc saw I've had my hands on. Husqvarna makes many awesome products, the 550 and 562 were first of their kind and not thoroughly tested, they learned that lesson and the newest models are rock solid, this type of thing happens to all manufacturers.

You have the first generation saw, the MK-II is a new saw, not just a new version. If you don't want to repair the saw your self, buy a new one, nothing lasts forever.

GM used Nylon on their cam gears for years...the chains wore out before the nylon.

Kohler, briggs, tecumseh..have used a form of plastic on many internal parts, including cam lobes, governor gears, oil pumps, for decades and failures are virtually non-existent.

Didn't see Andy blaming you pal. I think his comment was a generalization. Have seen many operator errors on saw threads over the years. I think you owe him an apology. You won't get any respect here talking like that on your second post.
OK...I should not have been so arrogant to Andy.......My apologies to Andy and anyone else who is upset with my comments. When Andy mentioned Operator errors, I assumed he was making a reference to me not keeping my chain sharp. I was wrong to make that assumption.

Here is my vexation....I am heading to the woods tomorrow with my 20 year old saw, while my 5 year old saw is in 30 pieces in a box in the garage. I realize stuff (most stuff anyway) doesn't last forever.... unless its made by Toyota. To me, Husqvarna was like Toyota...pay a little extra and it lasts a lot longer.
Unfortunately, that's no longer the case.

I read in other responses that many manufacturers are using plastic in their products. I have been around enough engines to know that plastic in a crank bearing will not last. Plastic in any moving part does not last. Plastic will never replace steel, especially when heat is involved. Even Tonka know that!!
As a consumer of these products, it's shameful that we have allowed this to happen. I see comments here where folks are saying that plastic is in everything and I should just get used to it and move on. If you really believe that, then the multinationals have moved the goalposts on you.
Oddly, it seems some are ok with it taking 5 years for your Husqvarna to go to the landfill, rather than the 20 we should (or used to) get... the CEO of Husqvarna and their shareholders are going to make (or continue to make) a mint off that mindset. I have a hard time buying into that.

OK...I should not have been so arrogant to Andy.......My apologies to Andy and anyone else who is upset with my comments. When Andy mentioned Operator errors, I assumed he was making a reference to me not keeping my chain sharp. I was wrong to make that assumption.

Here is my vexation....I am heading to the woods tomorrow with my 20 year old saw, while my 5 year old saw is in 30 pieces in a box in the garage. I realize stuff (most stuff anyway) doesn't last forever.... unless its made by Toyota. To me, Husqvarna was like Toyota...pay a little extra and it lasts a lot longer.
Unfortunately, that's no longer the case.

I read in other responses that many manufacturers are using plastic in their products. I have been around enough engines to know that plastic in a crank bearing will not last. Plastic in any moving part does not last. Plastic will never replace steel, especially when heat is involved. Even Tonka know that!!
As a consumer of these products, it's shameful that we have allowed this to happen. I see comments here where folks are saying that plastic is in everything and I should just get used to it and move on. If you really believe that, then the multinationals have moved the goalposts on you.
Oddly, it seems some are ok with it taking 5 years for your Husqvarna to go to the landfill, rather than the 20 we should (or used to) get... the CEO of Husqvarna and their shareholders are going to make (or continue to make) a mint off that mindset. I have a hard time buying into that.

I appreciate the apology.

Plastics can last as long as metal when used in the right place, and not all plastics are created equal. And a lot tools use powder centered metal, which usually isn't a good idea.

Yes a saw in a non everyday use should last much longer than five years. That said they're many things that can cause bearing failures, sometimes it poor design, sometimes it's something the operator did, sometimes things just fail. No saw ever made was designed to last 20 years, most loggers get a year out of a saw. Honestly saws are inexpensive tools in the big picture.

I too am a Toyota guy, but like all manufacturers they've had problems too, 07-08 Camery's had poorly designed pistons and rings, so they burn oil. As long as I keep adding a quart of oil every thousand miles the engine in my 07 will last a long time.

I'm no fan of the 550 and their have been too many failures, and it sure put a bad taste in many people's mouths, but it happens with every manufacturer at some point. And sometimes equipment just goes down. I was cursing my Stihl weed whip today, I shut it down to refill the string and it absolutely would not restart. I've had carb issues with it for a few years now, the new EPA carbs just don't want tune right, I've gone through the damn thing quite a few times now, even vacuum tested, it's just finicky, has been from day one. It's an FS110 which has a nylon cam/gear, it's 14 years old, so really it's time is coming to an end, stihl wouldn't be in business if everything they made lasted forever. Things come up, we have no other choice to deal with it and move on.

I suggest getting a short block and rebuilding the saw, it's not that expensive and you'll gain some experience.

It's hard for many of us to accept engineered obsolescence.

which is pretty much the way of the world now. Sad, very very sad.

there's a distinct generational divide going on in expectation of value.

The "5" series huskies have pretty much been a failure since their inception. To say the 550's weaknesses have been solved with the mkII is premature, to say the least. And the damn thing is now a heavy 50cc saw, instead of a light 50cc saw. It should really be quite an embarrassment for Husky.

I wish more folks would just call a spade a spade.

A pro tool of any kind should last a very long time for a casual user given even the bare minimum of care. Quite possibly a lifetime.

let's not even get into major appliances...as my blood begins to boil. Haha!

The "5" series huskies have pretty much been a failure since their inception. To say the 550's weaknesses have been solved with the mkII is premature, to say the least. And the damn thing is now a heavy 50cc saw, instead of a light 50cc saw. It should really be quite an embarrassment for Husky.

A pro tool of any kind should last a very long time for a casual user given even the bare minimum of care. Quite possibly a lifetime.

Its hard to live up to the likes of the 55R, 272xp, 346xp, 350, 395xp. The older dead reliable saws that really stood the test of time and now we have bulkier, heavier, more expensive and less reliable saws..

For the most part I agree. Yes the first 5 series saws had big problems, and did so from day one! That's normally how it goes if something is really wrong. The latest saws are doing near perfect, far as I can tell, especially the 572. The 572 has been around for a few years now, If it had a major design problem we would know by now. Haven't heard of any issues with the 550 MK-II, but it's only been around a bit over a year, so time will tell, but it's looking good. Yes the saws are heavier, but I see that as a trade off for improved durability, the 572 is stout! the bottom end is that of 90cc saws, that is where the weight comes from.

A-lot of this type of stuff occurs on forums, guys trash this or that even though they really don't know, others are fanboys, and so and so can do no wrong. The facts are always somewhere in the middle. God knows I've been outspoken about the 550 and 562. :cheers:

Back