Husqvarna 550XP boat anchor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 572 must be awesome. That's why the 372 is still around..

The 572 may very well be awesome. But nobody trusts a "5" series saw, so the 372 still exists in order to maintain some market share.

Imo.

The last 372's are being sold now, it's run is done. The 572 has already gained a fallowing.

I just saw a rumour on another site from a long time husky dealer of good repute...I hope he's right.

If only to maintain a saw "look" that I like, as opposed to the new-ish, zooty look with all nooks and crannys and swoops and swooshes. I've always liked boxy, smooth saws that don't hold dirt and debris in a million nooks and crannys.

anyway, I have no real info, I just yesterday read a sentence in a recent thread over there...

Karen. Hahahaha!

Not everyone has had problems with 550xp's or 562xp-el46 saws. Again, plug it in and let us see how many hours are on saw and a slew of other pertinent information. As stated by Andy more than once, Husqvarna knows there where issues with early 550's and 562's, reason for complete bottom ends being sold at a discounted price. Once purchased a 2004 F-350 lariat 4x4 6.0 diesel, now that was something to complain about.

If only to maintain a saw "look" that I like, as opposed to the new-ish, zooty look with all nooks and crannys and swoops and swooshes. I've always liked boxy smooth saws that don't hold dirt and debris in a million nooks and crannys.
So, I take it you have not worked on any boxy, neglected, dirty as crap saws people never maintained. Grab a 572 and go cutting for days, that air filter will probably still be clean.

My 1986 and 1987 jonny 590's stay clean for a long time too...my 1990 262xp not bad either.

Some of my modern saws are far worse in that regard.

Ps, i only work on my own saws. I buy good runners and keep them running. I only have a few.

There has been no improvement in saws, other than perhaps antivibe. And that only in some cases.

I rebuild a lot of 3 series saws from about 365 and bigger,- my customers are mostly fallers, arborists and serious production firewood guys and so you get the real hands on feedback on what they prefer - in the case of Stihl its the 461 or 660 era, I do find that in the case of the 372 that the nylon cage bearings on the clutch side is quite often the problem so well I have them down I replace the bearing with a SKF full metal bearing and go from there,- I don't seem to find that problem very often in the older models that didn't use them. As for the 5 series saws and M tronic IMO well, lets just say they are a sign of the times and I don't bother with them nor do I have the equipment to do so.

My 1986 and 1987 jonny 590's stay clean for a long time too...my 1990 262xp not bad either.

Some of my modern saws are far worse in that regard.

Ps, i only work on my own saws. I buy good runners and keep them running. I only have a few.

There has been no improvement in saws, other than perhaps antivibe. And that only in some cases.
I understand you now. I myself like Auto-tune, better av mounts, better air filtration, better bearing, improved parts. Have owned many 262xp's and they all needed cleaning after a days cutting. Everyone has opinions and I am not buying what you are selling. Carry on.

I have a 5 year old Husqvarna 550xp. Worked fine until the Crank Seal went and I discovered the damn thing is designed/manufactured with a plastic Crankshaft Bearing. WTF... pretty much a write-off considering the cost to rebuild it.
I have read on many web sites that this has been an issue with this model of saw and it doesn't look like Husqvarna gives a damn....unless it is under their pathetic warranty.

Has any one ever heard of a class-action lawsuit against the makers of this garbage? If so, let me know.
Lost all faith in husqvarna, can't convince myself to buy a saw with plastic crank bearings. They are basically selling cheap knock-off Chinese garbage and asking premium price for it.
Time for Husqvarna to clean house and send those phoney engineers packing...who the heck expects a plastic bearing to last in a chainsaw!!!
Class-action is the only way they will clean up their mess!!
I understand you, plastic in the bearing cage was a dumb penny pinching exercise,
them saws were not designed or even built well, not like the older versions,
though some of them had the plastic bearing cage too.
If you need another saw, keep an eye out for people selling on here, you might even
get a new Echo chainsaw for what it would cost to fix the Husky.

For the most part I agree. Yes the first 5 series saws had big problems, and did so from day one! That's normally how it goes if something is really wrong. The latest saws are doing near perfect, far as I can tell, especially the 572. The 572 has been around for a few years now, If it had a major design problem we would know by now. Haven't heard of any issues with the 550 MK-II, but it's only been around a bit over a year, so time will tell, but it's looking good. Yes the saws are heavier, but I see that as a trade off for improved durability, the 572 is stout! the bottom end is that of 90cc saws, that is where the weight comes from.

A-lot of this type of stuff occurs on forums, guys trash this or that even though they really don't know, others are fanboys, and so and so can do no wrong. The facts are always somewhere in the middle. God knows I've been outspoken about the 550 and 562. :cheers:
I wouldnt like it if Husqvarna were building anything critical, with their attitude to
solving the disgraceful engineering shambles they made with the 550 and to some
extent the 562.
I agree the 572 and the new 550 are very different saws,
I also think people have themselves to blame for choosing the
then unproven tech, there were other choices, still are.

Makes me wonder how other manufacturers don’t need AT or MT to
pass emissions regulations.
Was looking at the Echo 7310sx design, nice saw, with a plain carb,
I think Echo have come very close to competing with the big boys with this saw.

The 572 must be awesome. That's why the 372 is still around..

The 572 may very well be awesome. But nobody trusts a "5" series saw, so the 372 still exists in order to maintain some market share.

Imo.
As far as I know, only a percentage of saws with higher emissions
are allowed into the EU, the 372 does appear from time to time on
the shelves but they sell out quick, people are afraid to touch the AT MT
saws because they all know someone who had a nightmare with them,
I won’t buy one unless there is no other option.

Latest posts

Back