Husqvarna 550XP with 3/8" pitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Considering a 550XP. Read several of the threads about changing it from .325" to 3/8" pitch (18" and .050). I would do that - mostly to make it match the other saws I have so I can reduce the # of different chains I have.

Is it reasonable to ask a local dealer to change out the sprocket/bar/chain for less than the cost of those actual products? My assumption is that if they take the stock parts off of out of the box they can still sell those as new to somebody else. If not, then I'll just do it and sell them on my own.

Considering a 550XP. Read several of the threads about changing it from .325" to 3/8" pitch (18" and .050). I would do that - mostly to make it match the other saws I have so I can reduce the # of different chains I have.

Is it reasonable to ask a local dealer to change out the sprocket/bar/chain for less than the cost of those actual products? My assumption is that if they take the stock parts off of out of the box they can still sell those as new to somebody else. If not, then I'll just do it and sell them on my own.
Yes, dealer in my area will.

Imo if they don’t carry small spline 3/8 rims they are not a very reputable dealer...
I went to 3/8 then went back to .325... I was even recommending how much better .325 felt balance wise. Now I’m back to 3/8 again running a 20” Oregon pro lite.
After break in the saw will handle it just fine in softwood.

I have found that carrying one size file is just that much easier, I have also found that the 3/8 chain has more tooth to sharpen and most importantly the 3/8 bars are holding up better.
Just my opinion

They'll have 3/8"...but it is not stock on the saw so it will take a little labor to make the switch. I don't mind paying that. I just don't want to defacto buy 2 sizes of bars/chains to bring home 1. If they essentially give be most of the value of the parts to make the switch I'll be good. If they won't, like I said, I'll just buy the parts, make the switch and sell the .325 parts.

Since .325 is stock, I just wanted to make sure I am not asking for something unreasonable.

They'll have 3/8"...but it is not stock on the saw so it will take a little labor to make the switch. I don't mind paying that. I just don't want to defacto buy 2 sizes of bars/chains to bring home 1. If they essentially give be most of the value of the parts to make the switch I'll be good. If they won't, like I said, I'll just buy the parts, make the switch and sell the .325 parts.

Since .325 is stock, I just wanted to make sure I am not asking for something unreasonable.
What your asking is totally reasonable :)

If they play dumb you can always point to a rancher model and ask for that bar and chain. It uses the same bar mount, the only thing you really need to have them do is put the 3/8 rim on. Older 50cc saws of husky models used 3/8 rims that supports small splines which is why they should have stock on that.

They will have to spin the clutch off with a tool to get that rim changed, but for pro saw money they can do that :)
If your left with a no and have to do it yourself, baileys sells a clutch removal tool which is a great thing to have for a 550 anyways :)

Good luck!

Not that difficult to make one with an angle grinder, cut off wheel and old socket. Impact wrench and good to go.

They will have to spin the clutch off with a tool to get that rim changed, but for pro saw money they can do that :)
If your left with a no and have to do it yourself, baileys sells a clutch removal tool which is a great thing to have for a 550 anyways :)

Good luck!
Thanks! I have a couple of clutch removal tools, so no concerns about making it work. There are a couple of real Husqvarna shops I've dealt with on occasion (besides the big boxes...) about equal distance but opposite directions. If #1 won't play, I'll try #2.

Is it reasonable to ask a local dealer to change out the sprocket/bar/chain for less than the cost of those actual products? .....
Just don't ask MY dealer to do it.:eek: "it can't be done". :laughing:
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...ot-run-it-with-3-8-pitch-setup-no-way.255115/

I run all 3/8 (.58) on my 550XP and it works good for me (when the saw will actually run, which is hardly ever).:(
Hope you're gonna get the Mark 2.

Just don't ask MY dealer to do it.:eek: "it can't be done". :laughing:
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...ot-run-it-with-3-8-pitch-setup-no-way.255115/

I run all 3/8 (.58) on my 550XP and it works good for me (when the saw will actually run, which is hardly ever).:(
Hope you're gonna get the Mark 2.
+1

Yes get the mk 2 I do not like my mk1 at all. It works but it’s finicky and needs time to warm up in order to actually start cutting. Bogs like an sob until after a few minutes of sensitive trigger blips lol

I run three different size chains, 325”, 3/8”, 404”, some are semi chisel, full chisel, Skip chisel. I try to have everything in-house when it’s needed. I don’t like to change from 325 to 3/8” mainly because of the smaller powerhead cc’s. But I do run a 8 or 9 pin rim with the 325 saws with 16” bars for limboing and cutting smaller tops.

I use a impact gun to take the clutches off.

Latest posts

Back