Husqvarna 555 or 576 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dankman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up a brand new Husqvarna 576 xp (24" bar) for $550 from a friend. I was looking at the Husqvarna 555 and 562 xp originally, as I am going to be using this saw for cutting firewood and cleaning up the woods where I hunt. There are some big oak and elm, so I want to run at least a 20" bar. I do have a Poulan 40cc saw for the smaller stuff and was using my dad's Husqvarna 257 for the last few years (20" bar).

Looking for advice on which saw would be the best fit for my needs, as there is no way for me to try them out before purchase. Is the 576 xp going to be to much saw for cutting firewood. I am 5'11" 210 lbs, so the weight isn't a huge concern.

Thanks,

Dankman

I've never run a stock 576xp but I ran one ported by Stumpy and damn.... it was awesome. The 555 I've run stock only and it's a nice saw, and from what I'm hearing from folks it'll run a 24in b&c pretty well. In a head to head the 555 ate the 362 alive. I'd say that 555 would be plenty for you. A very under rated saw nice feel and solid power for the size.

If you're going to continue using your dad's 257, maybe get the 576xp since the 555 makes only 1/2 hp. more than the 257. Not sure the 555 has the torque to run a 20" bar in hardwood, and may do better overall with an 18" bar; wouldn't hurt to describe the max. size wood you'll be cutting to the dealer and ask for his recommendation.

If you'll be using the Poulan and the 576xp, the displacement difference may leave too big of a gap and neither saw will be happy with a range of medium wood.

I've never run a stock 576xp but I ran one ported by Stumpy and damn.... it was awesome. The 555 I've run stock only and it's a nice saw, and from what I'm hearing from folks it'll run a 24in b&c pretty well. In a head to head the 555 ate the 362 alive. I'd say that 555 would be plenty for you. A very under rated saw nice feel and solid power for the size.

The 555 was my first choice when I started looking. The thing that keeps running through my mind is the msrp on the 576 xp is $889, so I am getting a heckuva deal.

If you're going to continue using your dad's 257, maybe get the 576xp since the 555 makes only 1/2 hp. more than the 257. Not sure the 555 has the torque to run a 20" bar in hardwood, and may do better overall with an 18" bar; wouldn't hurt to describe the max. size wood you'll be cutting to the dealer and ask for his recommendation.

If you'll be using the Poulan and the 576xp, the displacement difference may leave too big of a gap and neither saw will be happy with a range of medium wood.

I just finished cutting up a 30+" white oak this spring that fell down. The 257 had a tough time with it, but got the job done. There are some large diameter oak and elm on the farm.

You'd have to steal my wallet to keep me from buying that 576xp. That's one heck of a price and it would love life wearing a 24" bar. The 555 will pull a 24"er but personally, I couldn't pass on the 576.

Thanks Jake. I was planning on running a 20" bar on the 555, as it would be more of an all around saw.

You have a 40cc saw, so the 20cc separation "rule" would call for a 60cc 555/562...

...but leave room on the shelf for a 390/395. :chainsawguy:

Actually, I prefer a lighter 60cc saw in the woods if it must be one saw to cut up the entire tree. Its lighter weight makes limbing much easier, yet it still can pull a 20" bar in hardwoods. Now if I lived in the PNW, then I'd go with the bigger saw.

576xp. deals dont come to often like that so since you have a smaller saw and you say you have bigger trees to cut the 576 is the way to go.

I just finished cutting up a 30+" white oak this spring that fell down. The 257 had a tough time with it, but got the job done. There are some large diameter oak and elm on the farm.

I can relate. The novelty of struggling though 28" DBH hardwood with a 50cc saw wore off pretty quickly and I found a Stihl MS440 on CL. Big relief. Chances are the 576xp, especially at that price, would do the same for you.

You have a 40cc saw, so the 20cc separation "rule" would call for a 60cc 555/562...

...but leave room on the shelf for a 390/395. :chainsawguy:

Actually, I prefer a lighter 60cc saw in the woods if it must be one saw to cut up the entire tree. Its lighter weight makes limbing much easier, yet it still can pull a 20" bar in hardwoods. Now if I lived in the PNW, then I'd go with the bigger saw.

I originally wanted a 60cc saw as an all around machine, but then this 576 xp fell into my lap and now I am changing my outlook. I really like the 555, but want to make sure it will be plenty of saw with a 20" bar and cutting mostly hardwood.

My brother has a 555 and I can assure you that it will easily pull a 20" in hardwood all day long. It also makes one great all around saw, as it does most everything well. The 576 is positively going to be more pleasing to run and do better in some of those big Elm and Oaks. What diameter trees are we talking? You just need to decide if there will be more all around use or more of the bigger cutting.
Would be super to have both, but I know that isnt always possible.:msp_wink:

Ron

The only time I've really wanted a smaller saw was one time I only had my 576 with 24" bar and had to buck up a whole fallen tree right down to the 1" kindling wood.
It was the waving the 576 as a light saber in the air to cut limbs that was a bit tiring.

But I did cheat and cut that timber long to fix at home later. Used the sawzall for that.

I have now added a 95cc saw to the 40, 60 & 70 collection. :msp_biggrin:

The only time I've really wanted a smaller saw was one time I only had my 576 with 24" bar and had to buck up a whole fallen tree right down to the 1" kindling wood.
It was the waving the 576 as a light saber in the air to cut limbs that was a bit tiring.

But I did cheat and cut that timber long to fix at home later. Used the sawzall for that.

I have now added a 95cc saw to the 40, 60 & 70 collection. :msp_biggrin:

Need to update your sig bro:rock:

Since I bought a 562 my 576 autotune sits in the back of the truck. I like the 562 so much I went out and bought another one with heated handles. Run a 24" bar on the 562 with 72jg chain.

576xp for $550, grab it and don't look back, because when your struggling with some big wood your gonna say to yourself "man I shoulda got the bigger saw".

Need to update your sig bro:rock:

The 95cc is still with the chimp, unless he's shipped it. The 60cc should be in there I agree. And there's a 50cc with Jacob J too.

To the original Q.

Get the 576, if it doesn't suit, you'll get your money back at that price on a saw in good condition. It's like a no risk trial really.

Last edited:
I do have to agree with what others are saying........a576 for $550 is one of those deals that you only dream of. Get the saw and see what you think of it and then determine where to go from there.
BECAUSE THAT, MY FRIEND, IS A GOOD PRICE ON A PROVEN SAW!:blob2:

Ron

Latest posts

Back