Husqvarna 61 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a 61 Rancher that starts easy cold, idles strong, and cuts great. The only problem I have is that if I shut off for more than two or three minutes when it's hot it's extremely hard to restart. It will fire then immediately die out. I'm pretty new to chainsaws and brand new to this forum. I have a lot of respect for you guys and work on and run saws for a living. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice on this.

try cracking the gas tank filler cap. - my rancher 55 will do this every once in a while. crack the cap and it is good to go.

points to gas tank vent being plugged

You are suffering from vapor lock,meaning that the carb becomes "hot"and the the fuel inside turn to vapor fumes.Adjust your saw richer on the H needle.Also check in the top cover if the small round hole,about 3/4 is blocked with a plastic plug.He has to be there or block it some way.Be sure the cylinder is clean.When you finish to cut to avoid this problem ,let the saw run a few minutes at idle before shutting off to cool her down.

Ha ha - my first thought also, but I dismissed it as "too obvious", and didn't post it - the tank vent is worthy of some attension, if it behaves with the fuel cap off.........:chainsawguy:

lol - just presumed as the dude said he was new to chainsaws. Have had a few tank vent problems myself, that would be the next guess.

Back