Husqvarna 61?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lblac36315

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey, I found a Husky 61 for a good price today and need another project. What are your opions of this saw? Everything seems to be in order with saw, starts and runs okay, needs a good cleaning and tune-up. What caught my attention was how much compression it had. Just wondering if it's a good saw design and what the thoughts about muff mod, exhaust port polish & gasket match, would do to help it.
Also thanks to everyone on this site for the help I recieved on my 028 Super. Great Saw!! I piped the exaust, polished port, 16" .325 8T bar & chain combo. This thing screams. Anything under 10" diam is just TOO FUN. After reading all the forums on fuel mixes, I am mixing 40:1 93 octane with a 70/30 MX2T and Castor. Runs great, and smells to boot. Thanks to All, Lee

Husky 61 was a flagship model for Husky about 20 years ago or so...I think I even remember a big write-up in pop mech magazine touting the new technology resulting in better power-to-weight ratio, etc. I think they were still available until about 3 or 4 years ago, so replacement parts shouldn't be any problem.

The basic chassis of the 61 eventually got several different cylinders and at least 3 different bore sizes in both open porting and closed loop port styles...the biggest being the 272 XP. The cyl's interchange as long as you have the correct piston, and carb.

Jonsered 625 is pretty much the same saw, except wears a pretty red dress. I have one of these right now, and I like it a lot. Nice, torquey forgiving firewood saw. Just right with a 20" bar.

lee,
i had two of them i got new for a real good price. we burned them up in a couple of months. i doubt we did too much differant to them. i was running the 365's and 371's and the stihl 044's and 026's with out problems. they may be ok for occasional use. marty

The 61 was a high performance saw for its day. Durable. You have probably noticed its a little hard to crank with that high compression.

I don't see why many feel they have to modify everything. The 61 is a very good saw in stock form.

It is not a screamer so to speak, just a durable torquey saw. Lots of them still running after 15years, so that speaks for itself.

If you want a saw to soup up, find a nice 266 Husky, Jonsey 670, or a 272 Husky. Much better platform, and can be had for great prices now

Back