Husqvarna Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one will be getting new seals. Poured mix in the crank area to rinse it. Drained right out the fly wheel side seal. Good thing is bearings feel tight and p&c look fine ring is just a little stuck on one side. Probably will replace it.

Brian

This one will be getting new seals. Poured mix in the crank area to rinse it. Drained right out the fly wheel side seal. Good thing is bearings feel tight and p&c look fine ring is just a little stuck on one side. Probably will replace it.

Brian
That always loosens up grit that gets in the ball bearings. Numerous rinse cycles and shop air from a blow gun will get it out.
Just did a J-Red. Had to split the case to get the trash out of the bearings. Turned out fine.

Once you get it turning smooth, squirt some mix oil on them.

Here is why the ring was stuck. A little carbon scoring folded into the groove.

uploadfromtaptalk1436316651923.jpg

Brian

Down to the splitting of the case. I did this on my 65 but I can't recall how. There are three small unused threaded holes around the flywheel side of the crank. I could use a flywheel puller if I procure the correct screws. I can't recall how I split the case on the 65 without the puller they show in the shop manual.

Any tricks?

So I started poking around fleebay to see what some of the missing parts are going for. I start to notice the 166 and 266 mentioned along with the 268 in descriptions especially for crank case items. It seems (even though the many IPLS I have now don't indicate) that all three models are 66 cc and 50 mm bore. In fact maybe all the crank cases are the same. My new plan may be pull all 4 down and make 2 or 3 working saws from the parts. The crank case on the 268 is a little worse for the wear which is what got me to digging.

Brian

Here's my Husqvarna 445. I modded the muffler slightly by opening up the exit port and removing the spark arrestor. This saw serves me well! Very powerful for its size and nothing but reliable.

Attachments

• 20150425_104911.jpg
    20150425_104911.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 36
I split the case but how do I get the crank out of the other case half?

Brian

Texas must have some wierd critters. Never mind the muffler mod on the 162 but because of it you can look directly into the exhaust port. Completely filled with what appears to be white caulk bur of course is not. One of the air intakes on the 268 had the same thing but it cleaned out.

eb6a61c087a2921e112ae4362d159401.jpg

Dug into the worse of the two 266s. This one may be a case donor to the 268 or it will get the 268 top end. Piston looks roasted from this view [emoji22]

122f7be519682175e77ac8a62583ee51.jpg

Brian

I might take you up on that. I think all 4 mufflers are toast, rusted out

Brian

Down to the splitting of the case. I did this on my 65 but I can't recall how. There are three small unused threaded holes around the flywheel side of the crank. I could use a flywheel puller if I procure the correct screws. I can't recall how I split the case on the 65 without the puller they show in the shop manual.

Any tricks?
easy put a roll bar behind the flywheel against the block Loosen the nut until it is flush with the end of the crankshaft, give the end of the crank a tap with a hammer while putting pressure on the bar, that will pop the flywheel off the taper Any flywheel held with a taper will do the same, I have done heaps of B/S engines the same way

162 SE ready for degreaser. Too rainy right now. Then I will split case right away because clutch side bearing is exposed when oiler is removed.

6c65ad0d84c4d2a17de1a7072107e11a.jpg

Brian

On the filthy ones, I plastic Baggie the air filter, remove top, clutch and rewind covers. Dig most of the crap off with mineral spirits and parts brush. Spray it down with foaming engine degreaser and hose them off with hot water from the laundry room.

Saves getting crap in the crankcase when I pull the top end.

phone pics 145.JPG phone pics 144.JPG
Got this one at a local pawn shop,would not turn over and filthy.
After inspection ,ring was broken and crank bearings locked up.
P&C looked good. completly tore it down,cleaned,new caber ring,crank bearings and seals,new av mounts,and modded the muffler.
looks like new,cant believe how the plastic is not faded,like most u see.
needs some fine tunin yet,will make someone a nice saw.

Back