Husqvarna Made in Japan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My uncle bought an 038 Mag to replace his old 038 that basically was barely holding itself together. He told the dealer he wanted a made in Germany saw. It was only after he got it home that he realised his saw was made in Brazil. He went back to the dealer to exchange the saw but they told him that their current stock of the 038 was only coming from Brazil. With a hard decision to make he kept the saw. (Even after i pointed out it was more expensive and heavier than the 372XP)

It outlasted the warranty...just. It was not even close to being as reliable as his old German made 038. It has not seen even 1/3 of the amount of wood his old saw did and it has already had a new coil, new oiler, new tensioner mechanism and a new carb. :rolleyes:

Does the tags say "Husqvarna, Sweden" - or do they say "Husqvarna, made in Sweden"?

There is a big differense in the meaning of those expressions.

Exactly. :clap:

Same with the GB bar and chain saga here in Australia. I am lucky enough to have a small supply of the "GB Made in Australia" bars. Not the newer Chinese made "GB Australia" labelled bars.

I have run the newer Chinese bars and chains. The bars do wear a fair bit quicker, but i actually don't mind the GB EVO II Chinese made chains. I have tried them in many different sizes and styles and they hold their edge well and cut fast for such a cheap chain. Where i get them they are under half the price of the Oregon full chisel chains.

Redmax Zenoah makes a nice hedge trimmer. Probably this based on specs. http://www.redmax.com/products/hedge-trimmers/chtz2460l/#tab-techdata

I've had Redmax, Echo, and Stihl hedge trimmers. Keep the blades lubed & sharp. I like spray silicone, or bar oil every few minutes of run time. Careful as many lubes will burn or brown out your tips. You can touch up the blades with a flat raker file while on the saw. Typically once a season I like to take them apart and inspect the blade surface and lap as needed. Good time to clean and inspect the gear box as needed. Overall the Japanese gearboxes seem better than Stihl, although Stihl blades seem a bit better. It's a wash.

That Redmax motor is their "workhorse" used on everything in their line. Very proven engine that will seemingly run forever on a thimble full of mix. Somewhat notorious for clogging screens with a rich mix. So burn something clean, and or check the screen if it becomes hard to start.

The best blades I have used were the Shindaiwa. I have a Shindaiwa dh230 and dh231. They are heavy however, which gets old quick trimming bushes. The gearbox is outstanding. I have cut way more stuff than they are intended for and they have never given me a problem. Maruyama also made/makes a good one. I have never used the Stihl hedge trimmers to see how their blades are, but I have heard good things. That little Redmax is bullet proof.

Whatever trips your trigger.....
So when a US manufacturer outsources some production to China and it comes back to the US and is sold under the US parent companies name albeight it says made in China or assembled in the US with globally sourced parts, you do not want it.

To each there own. Most people own something made in the last 20 years.

While we are having a civil conversation. Can we all agree that All Stihls regardless of where they are made. Simply are the best OPE in the market???? Once we can all agree on this. We can start working on world peace.

While we are having a civil conversation. Can we all agree that All Stihls regardless of where they are made. Simply are the best OPE in the market???? Once we can all agree on this. We can start working on world peace.
Nah the crap they assemble in the US is just crap, but hey some people are happy with it.

I love the USA (not our government but our country) but I have to admit the best things I own come from Japan and Germany. Something about those two countries in a wide range of products.

That simply isn't true - they have good, bad and indifferent products like the other "better" brands.....;)

The best blades I have used were the Shindaiwa. I have a Shindaiwa dh230 and dh231. They are heavy however, which gets old quick trimming bushes. The gearbox is outstanding. I have cut way more stuff than they are intended for and they have never given me a problem. Maruyama also made/makes a good one. I have never used the Stihl hedge trimmers to see how their blades are, but I have heard good things. That little Redmax is bullet proof.

I do a lot of hedging. I have used many brands over the years and while they are HEAVY the shindaiwa's are the best i have ever used. Stupidly i sold them when i changed jobs, but now wish i never did as i am back doing hedging and saw work.

I currently run a Stihl HS81R with 30" blades. While it gets real heavy after a full day i have been very happy with it as far as engine reliability and blade wear and cutting ability. I have on occasion accidentally cut cold drawn steel strainer wire around 4mm thick that was hidden inside hedges i was cutting. Slices right through and only leaves a tiny dent in the cutting edge. I do not have a problem with the stihl's blade quality.

I also have a M230 Shindaiwa multi tool. Entire machine and attachments are made in Japan. The articulating hedger on that is the best quality pole hedger i have ever used bar none!!

I am not real exited to go back to a unit that is heavier than my Stihl HS81, but if i am honest i would prefer the Shindaiwa hedgers.

BTW i don't know if it is commonly available in the US but i use lanolin spray to lubricate my hedger blades. It is the natural oil that comes from sheep's wool. We have many sheep over here so we had to find another use for it!! :)
I get it either in a hand spray pack or an aerosol can. Lubricates very well and as an added bonus it is also a very good rust preventer.

Latest posts

Back