Husqvarna muffler fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
Have a 350 with wallered muffler bolt threads. Gonna have to use helicoils. Question is have any of you used the aftermarket brackets on eBay for these saws and more so, do they work?

Thanks
Doug

Been there, done that. My 350 had loose muffler bolts that I had; 1) loctited AND lockwashers.
Then tried 2) drilled the bolt heads and threaded wires. Next, 3) helicoil AND threaded wires.
They STILL came loose until I 4) got a 346/353 bracket AND all of the above.

NOW, after 10 tanks of fuel, the bolts don't fall off nor loosen anymore. I still check them after every cold saw start up.

IOW, do the bracket, AND helicoil AND red loctite on the insert at the same time. For insurance, lockwashers and drill the bolt heads!

Search the forums, there's a lot around on this topic.

Depending how damaged the holes are a helicoil may work if not too bad. If they are real jacked up ill buy a hardware grade bolt the size i can get a good clean tapped hole in the jug then thread it in with green Loctite retaining compound. I think its #660 once set cut off the excess stud flush with the jug flange centerpunch it and drill and tap proper size for muffler bolts. I generally thread it in past the back of the flange to give the bolts extra threads to hold. Once both holes are fixed like this the muffler bracket and some loctite of medium or high strength will stay tight forever. Just get the saw warm and give them the final torque and your all set.

Back