Husqvarna roller file guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do.
Different hardness metal on the same chain ? That's what it feels like, but it seems unlikely to me ? Just asking.

The cutters often develop localized hard spots. I don't know for sure but I think it's work hardening. Plus if you "rock" a chain you'll embed grit in the tooth that you have to cut away. A sharp file will cut through it. Sometimes you'll get a chain real hot and set it in the snow and it hardens the chain, at least the outer surface. A grinder is sometimes required to straighten that out. Of course if you don't cut filthy, gummy wood you may not have that problem.

I really like the roller guides. I have a few of the originals (Pferd I think) from the early 80's that used a hardened steel roller. The new types are a lot easier on files but wear after some time. I just pick up a new one and am a happy camper again.

The front notch is for the small ramps in front of the rakers on LP, VP, BP etc chain.
I just got a .325 roller guide to use on my 024 AVS. FYI, the guide doesn't fit on the Stihl brand safety chain that's on the saw.

I have to agree get yourself one of those husky guides they work very well, very easy to use and the ones with the raker guage are very handy in the woods for touch up.

$200 smackers for a handfile guage!! I hope it comes with a Chinamen to do the filing for you, Man I'd put that kind of money towards a grinder instead if it was up to me.:cheers:

New question.
On some teeth the file seems to have a nice crisp "rip" feel, like slicing paper with a sharp knife. Other teeth will feel like I'm kinda grinding them.
Which is better and why don't they all have the same feel ? Most of them have the "grinding" feel. They are all in good shape and look identical to my eye. I've measured their length with a caliper and they're all pretty close. I've been pushing the guide in the direction of filing before filing to try to add some consistency, fwiw. Files are by Pferd. The chain has been cutting great, and holding an edge well, but if there's a lesson to be learned I'd like to have it.

I use the roller guide and for me it works much better than any other file guides I've tried.

Brian:
May be a dumb question, but do you twist the file in the holder every 2 or 3 teeth? When I'm sharpening, and I come to a tooth that doesn't yield to the file like previous ones, I tap the file on something hard and twist it in the holder to expose a different cutting surface.

I used to push the file into the tooth, but when I started using the roller guide, I started pushing the file towards the front of the teeth, and found it worked much better. I also finally learned that 2 or 3 stokes is enough, unless there is some damage.

...do you twist the file in the holder every 2 or 3 teeth?
I twist the file a bit between each stroke. I brush it off when switching sides. I often file 2 teeth that feel like I'm grinding and the next will feel like a "ripper". The next might feel like a "grinder" and I'll try to figure out why but I haven't been able to. I'll clean the file and go back and forth between the 2 teeth and can't get the same feel. :dizzy:

It is one of the few (may be the only, not sure) square guide on the market.

That makes better sense!, but still it better come with chinamen to do the sharpening! That's pricey! What's a new square ground chain worth? say 16" How much would a dealer charge to sharpen?

Excuse my ignorance never used or bought square ground before. What purpose does it serve over round ground?

Last edited:
I rotate my file after every stroke so that I'm not wearing the file out in the same place every pass, I've had good sucess doing it that way. Unless the tooth is very bad 3-4 passes is usually plenty IMO.:cheers:

That makes better sense!, but still it better come with chinamen to do the sharpening! That's pricey! What's a new square ground chain worth? say 16" How much would a dealer charge to sharpen?

Excuse my ignorance never used or bought square ground before. What purpose does it serve over round ground?

The square grinders start around $1000. There isn't a dealer in my area that has a square grinder. They don't even carry the square chain for that matter. To be able to effectively file this type of chain takes a lot of practice & some people just can't get the knack of it. I order my Stihl square grind from a saw shop out west. Cost is $1 per inch of chain. I hand file them with the double beveled files from Bailey's.

Back