Husqvarna T435, T540 XP Rim Sprocket Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

990G

Reaction score
After looking through Oregon's 2014 catalog, I'm surprised that there's no listings of Oregon Power Mate rim sprocket systems for either the Husqvarna T435 or their new T540 XP. I haven't run a spur sprocket, on any of my saws, since the late 60's and don't plan on it now. Have any of you old hands, knowledgeable in Oregon products, converted either of these saws to rim drive in either .375/.050 or .325/.043?

What I can tell you is that there aren't any .325 .043 chain - but the drive sprockets aren't gauge sensitive!

.043 only exist in 3/8" lo-pro.

If there are any rim setups that fit those saws it would have to be .325x7, as only Stihl offers clutch hubs that are small enough to take a 3/8x6 rim.

Maybe the rim setup that comes with the 339xp fits? At least it fits the 338xpt/2139T, but wasn't listed for them since they were top handle saws - and supposed to run 3/8" lo-pro.....

You are going to run a spur if six teeth picco/3/8 low profile is to be kept on the saw as origional. Stihl has 7 and eight tooth mini spline rim sprockets for picco I do have some 7 tooth ones myself.
the 338 parts sheet for this market shows a kit for 0.325 rim set up. It is about $30 and the piston stop another $5 or so. The spur sprockets are different part numbers for 338 vs the ones you list in post 1 I think I checked it out that far in the winter.

@ SawTroll and Franny K: Much appreciation for your replies but it seems I'm SOL for a simple fix. I just got off the phone with Blount/Oregon tech support and they only manufacture consumer spur sprockets for either saw (which explains why pro spurs and rim systems aren't listed for the T435 or T540 XP in the new Oregon catalog).

I'm not calling it quits yet because both saws have 10mm (0.3937) crank journals for the clutch drum needle bearing to run on. A quick glance at the Oregon catalog lists several <2.5 cubic inch Husqvarna's and Echo's that share that 10mm journal diameter. So, tomorrow I'm headed to the local Husqvarna and Echo shops with my mic's and calipers. As the Oregon tech rep put it earlier; "...specific saw model numbers don't matter if the needle bearing journal diameter and length are the same, you're golden". I'll post back with my findings tomorrow evening.

[QUOTE="990G, post: 4887873, member: 123582. As the Oregon tech rep put it earlier; "...specific saw model numbers don't matter if the needle bearing journal diameter and length are the same, you're golden". I'll post back with my findings tomorrow evening.[/QUOTE]

It is important that you are still able to drive the worm gear for the oiler.............so no you may not be golden.

It is important that you are still able to drive the worm gear for the oiler.............so no you may not be golden.

Excellent point hamish, thanks for that insight man! I'm not to concerned so long as the needle bearing and drum fit up to the crank journal. A friend of mine owns a small machine shop near me that I have access to. A new oil pump worm drive wheel (from a piece of Zytel PA bar stock) that mates to the SM 7 splines will only require a lathe, milling machine setup with an indexing head, and about an hour of time.

I did forget to mention that the oil drive piece needs to be obtained in addition to the rim drive kit back in post #3 it was about $3 if I recall With shipping the whole lot was about $50 but I didn't need a new center with the shoes and springs. I think the oil drive piece if similar to mine could be kind of hogged out and filled in with epoxy and kind of molded instead of the machining route.

I might suggest looking at the stihl mini spline kit, the bearing hole would need enlarged and oil drive created , the drum diameter is just a little larger than that of the 338. A seven tooth and the 61pmm might be preferable to 6 tooth on the larger low profile 3/8. It seems to me unless the wider kerf is desired the picco/low profile 6 tooth gets put back on.

Hello I have a husqvarna 540t xp ii n I wanted to get a 7 pin spur but for some reason I can't find any is there anyway I can run a 7 tooth 3/8lp .50 on this thing ??

Latest posts

Back