Husqvarna T536 LiXP Battery powered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that husky electric looked pretty darn good anyway for a battery saw. Yep, spendy, but top of the line new tech is always spendy, no matter whatever that is.
Right out of high school, my first job was as a tree slasher. It was down on the Oregon coast, and we would go out in the woods and cut down all the alder as fast as we possibly could. For the most part, we wouldn't even bother to face cut them because it took too much time. It was dangerous work as alder likes to barber chair, and I almost died on a daily basis until I finally figured out what the heck I was doing. It seems kind of crazy to me when I think back and remember falling maples, up to 4' at the base, along with an endless sea of alder trees, only to purposely burn the unit and plant fir. But that's how they used to do it in the good ol' days (before chipping came into vogue).

Times change, and these new battery saws are the wave of the future as far as homeowner saws are concerned. They will also find their way into many professional applications. Given the current push to increase the limits of battery technology, due to the emergence of electric cars, and the predictions of battery capabilities 10-years out, I see good things coming to chain saw technology.

My wife's mother grew up with Steve Wozniak, who invented the first Apple computer. It wasn't all that impressive by today's standards. But when you stop to realize this guy took on the entire world's engineers single-handedly and out-designed them, it was a pretty impressive feat. Eventually, a new generation rose up with new ideas and pushed the envelope far beyond what the original inventor had initially foresaw. This is the story of technological change and is evident in modern gene therapy, stem cell engineering, nanotechnology, electric cars, and many other technologies. I see no reason why chain saw technology should fail to advance along with the rest of the world just because some people enjoy breathing gasoline fumes and wearing ear plugs.

Last edited:
Here is a very interesting review of Stihl vs Oregon vs Ryobi battery powered saws. It appears the Stihl is top dog. Especially given its larger battery.

Cutting test:

Stihl 10.8 seconds, Oregon 15.9 seconds, and Ryobi 23.3 seconds.

Battery test:

Stihl 43½ cuts, Oregon 22½ cuts, and Ryobi 21½ cuts.

The hands-on source for tool tests, tool technology, and professional tool users l Tools of the Trade Online

Good article, thanks! yes on the Oregon, let the saw chain cut, don't lean on it. It took me several outings with it to finally get in the groove and cut effectively with it. Half is learning the saw, half is learning the powersharp chain..it cuts, just is different. Hard to describe. It needs a real perpendicular to the wood approach, then it grabs in and starts cutting. If it is tilted a little, it wants to skate and not grab.

found a few new videos on the performance

[video=youtube_share;yKHysNHu39A]http://youtu.be/yKHysNHu39A[/video]

2nd

[video=youtube_share;CBr3gc9rzDI]http://youtu.be/CBr3gc9rzDI[/video]

if anyone is interested.

2nd

if anyone is interested.

Good vids, thanks! That electric has plenty of power. I guess the operator was switching between two power modes.

I believe it is safe to say the battery electrics are here to stay now and will only keep getting better.

Just another vid on a small Oak I made yesterday.
Last vid was on soft wood, this is a Quercus robur, hard oak wood and it performs good. Stopped when the wood reached te bar size and finished it of with the Husqvarna 560 XP ;-)

[video=youtube;GNXWCcaiVyo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNXWCcaiVyo[/video]

Just got this brand new saw the other day, check out the youtube links for some insight and action.

[video=youtube;dZwA9JSaUis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZwA9JSaUis[/video]

Cheers

I figured that husky would come out with a pro climbing saw gone electric, it looks cool. You are going to scare some people on this forum with this electronic chainsaw though:msp_w00t:. They are making these saws for emissions reg which is fine, I can understand this because it's going to happen in everything, it's inevitable. The thing is emission suck for the environment but the lithium batteries are a nightmare to dispose of too. Its just interesting how one thing is better than the other, I dont have the answer here I'm just making an observation. I like the idea of the saw if it preforms well and handles being bounced off the tree every now and again while climbing. My question is does it say made in CHINA on it and how does it cost.

Just another vid on a small Oak I made yesterday.
Last vid was on soft wood, this is a Quercus robur, hard oak wood and it performs good. Stopped when the wood reached te bar size and finished it of with the Husqvarna 560 XP ;-)

[video=youtube;GNXWCcaiVyo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNXWCcaiVyo[/video]
You must be making good money with all that fancy gear. Not being a ass, just kinda jealous.

Here is a very interesting review of Stihl vs Oregon vs Ryobi battery powered saws. It appears the Stihl is top dog. Especially given its larger battery.

Cutting test:

Stihl 10.8 seconds, Oregon 15.9 seconds, and Ryobi 23.3 seconds.

Battery test:

Stihl 43½ cuts, Oregon 22½ cuts, and Ryobi 21½ cuts.

The hands-on source for tool tests, tool technology, and professional tool users l Tools of the Trade Online

Something else to consider with that test, the oregon saw has thermal overload protection and it is quite sensitive. It absolutely will shut it self down, to avoid damaging any circuitry, but will leave whatever battery charge is left. There's been several times I thought the battery was dead and needed recharging, but it didnt, just needed to cool off for like ten to fiteen minutes. Eventually you learn how hard to push it so this doesn't happen.

You must be making good money with all that fancy gear. Not being a ass, just kinda jealous.

Just making medium money, not even whatever is considered good, the cost of any of these new saws, battery or gas, is negligible spread out over many jobs during the year. Two or three bucks a day, something like that, to own the saw? Plus it is a working tax deduction? Ya, you need it all up front, but dang, then, not bad.

Once you actually start making money with your tools, they get cheaper. Hobby, no, expensive, for work, hauling in your check, with a tax write off, different story. Sort of relative to your cutting situation.

Just making medium money, not even whatever is considered good, the cost of any of these new saws, battery or gas, is negligible spread out over many jobs during the year. Two or three bucks a day, something like that, to own the saw? Plus it is a working tax deduction? Ya, you need it all up front, but dang, then, not bad.

Once you actually start making money with your tools, they get cheaper. Hobby, no, expensive, for work, hauling in your check, with a tax write off, different story. Sort of relative to your cutting situation.

I understand I do tree work but any day I spend five hundred or more on a tool It still seems to be exspensive. Now a days If I can save, I save I don't spend on gear that is not going to get the job done or needed. I keep my safety gear up to date but when a saw gets ripped out of you hands at 30-60 feet high in a tree or smashed by a neglagent co-work it still makes one cringe no matter how much money your making. That life shlt happens. I kinda ment the fancy arborist pants and helmet and the fact that I dont have them or a new electric saw. I bought a t435 to save a little coin and I have to say I like the thing. A friend of mine who is a certified arborist and is a long time husky guy told me he is going to climb with echos now just because there cheaper and they run good. He manages the transmission lines for a large electric company so he does tree work on the side. Having children he trys to save all that he can you know what I mean.

I understand I do tree work but any day I spend five hundred or more on a tool It still seems to be exspensive. Now a days If I can save, I save I don't spend on gear that is not going to get the job done or needed. I keep my safety gear up to date but when a saw gets ripped out of you hands at 30-60 feet high in a tree or smashed by a neglagent co-work it still makes one cringe no matter how much money your making. That life shlt happens. I kinda ment the fancy arborist pants and helmet and the fact that I dont have them or a new electric saw. I bought a t435 to save a little coin and I have to say I like the thing. A friend of mine who is a certified arborist and is a long time husky guy told me he is going to climb with echos now just because there cheaper and they run good. He manages the transmission lines for a large electric company so he does tree work on the side. Having children he trys to save all that he can you know what I mean.

ya man, know what you mean. I dont make a penny from saws really, they just cost me, along with the PPE and etc. ya, I get my firewood, but technically I can burn propane..I just like it. The whole wood scene I mean, all fun to me.

Now I have made money from tools, and I always paid my tools first, before I got paid. Paid the tools, paid the truck, paid the gasoline bill, the insurance, etc..all first, even before rent and food and utility bills. No good working tools, you go broke fast..so they get paid first. Not top of the line anything but good enough and no junk. So about the same as you are doing with arborist work I guess. Treated the tools as hired help, and you pay the help first. Better help just cost more money, any trade out there.

I was thinking about the economics of running a battery saw over a gas saw, given the battery saw would cut adequately, was suitable for the task. I think it would be a lot cheaper long range. Much less maintenance (as in time is money), no consumables other than bar oil and occassionally a new battery. Throw a quarter a day into a can, when the battery needs replaced, youll have way more than enough for a new one..so long range that isnt very expensive either. Recharging them is so cheap it falls into the minimal pocket change per charge area, a lot less than running mix. Probably be covered with that same exact quarter a day into the can. Bar oil is a wash, and chains are a wash. Upfront cost, similar to what is considered the industry standard top of the line gasser, the 200T or now 201T.

So..dunno..but I am glad they are here and we are getting more competition and the saws are getting better. I am more than impressed with my oregon battery saw, it is right up there in my saws as the last saw I would sell off or get rid of. I can replace any of my gas saws with used/cheaper than new price versions, not so with my battery saw. Not that particular one anyway.

Thanks guys for posting the videos and the links. I have been following (or starting!) some of the other battery saw threads but missed this one.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/183354.htm
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/203609.htm
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/177392.htm
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/179262.htm
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/177700.htm

Nothing like comparing them side-by-side, but the videos are helpful to see the saws in action. I have had the opportunity to run the Oregon for some time now, and have posted my comments in the threads above. Only tried the STIHL at a demo, making a few, 4 inch diameter cookies, and was not impressed. So I have to wonder about the Tools-Of-The-Trade (TOTT) test. I normally like their reviews of contractor tools, although, I did not necessarily agree with their review (by the same guy) of corded electric chainsaws a few years back.

Electric Chainsaws

Obviously, I would like to get my hands on one of the Husqvarnas and try it side-by-side with the STIHL and Oregon saws. Maybe we need someone to sponsor a Battery Powered GTG! We could each toss in all of our A.S. points to make it happen?

One of the big things I would like to try at that B-P-G-T-G is running the same chain on each saw. The STIHL comes with 1/4" pitch chain; the Oregon with their 3/8" low-pro PowerSharp chain; the Husqvarna UK website seems to say that their saws come with either 1/4" or 3/8" lo-pro chain. I posted an informal comparison of the Oregon saw running PowerSharp and conventional 3/8 low-pro chain and was surprised that the PowerSharp cut faster. It is a fairly aggressive chain, but I assume takes more power to drive than 1/4" pitch. Not sure if the sprockets, etc. are available to test each chain on each saw.

What chain pitch are you running in those videos Wouter?

Thanks again for the videos and your comments.

Philbert

The husqvarna in my vid runs with a 3/8 chain and wide of 1.1 mm.

Now about testing them, we already did some tests over here. Last test I did with a colleague was about running the new Stihl 150 tophandle saw VS the Battery powered Husqvarna.

There was absolutely no fun in that, the 150 was about half the log when the battery powered sáw was finished. We didn't even bother to make a vid about it. Same with the Echo 260 TES, can't beat the battery powered T536 LiXP. It was just like comparing a 562 with a handsaw ;-)

We have run some other battery powered saws, but the chainspeed and torque is just not enough to make it a fair test.

The nice thing about this new husqvarna is that other manufacturers will def try to upgrade and improve their battery powered tools and in some years there will be some real competition.

For now, just stick to the best money can buy. And about the high price, never ever regretted a expensive saw as it makes my work easier and for the customer a arborist with the newest and clean saws is a big plus !

Climb safe

Nice vids, Wouter.

I am pretty impressed with the power of that electric Husqvarna to be honoust. I see a lot of advantages for this saw being used in dense populated areas, as is the case in Holland.

An electric saw doesn't attract an undesired public either, being it curious neighbours or tree huggers that will make a quick call to the police enquiring about weather you have a permit or not. May sound ridiculous to many, but unfortunately, that's how folks behave over here in europe.

This saw might not be ideal for the occasional user, but if I were an arborist, I would own one already.

Now about testing them, we already did some tests over here.

Yeah, but we want to play, I mean, 'try' them too! Thanks again for the videos and input.

I see a lot of advantages for this saw being used in dense populated areas, as is the case in Holland. . . .This saw might not be ideal for the occasional user, but if I were an arborist, I would own one already.

There are definitely niches where a battery powered saw fits in. I like my corded electric chainsaws for cutting brush and firewood in the city, but not something that you would take up into a tree. The battery saws are also nice for small jobs, where you don't want to run an extension cord, or mix up some gas, etc. (when I run my gas saws 'occasionally', I like to use fresh mix and run them dry afterwards to minimize fuel problems).

Philbert

Snow is no problem at all, have had lots of snow out here lately and performs great. Keep in mind to protect the batteries from freezing cold, they wont charge when too cold. -5 degrees for all I found out. Put them indoors for charging and you'll be fine.

The rain is another issue, did some work in light rain but when the day went on and heaps and heaps of rain fall out the skye I just stopped using the battery saw and switched over to the 200T.

Electronics and water are a poor match...but little rain doesn't affect it in any way as I have found out myself. But when the rain gets seriously..it could cause problems for the saw, and obvious as wel, for the arborist up the tree ;-)

Climb safe

allrighty then! as Mr jim carrey would have said! what is " little rain doesn't affect it in any way " how much rain is that? snow on a warm saw will be water right?....should we agree that this is not a saw for "wet" weather!?

Latest posts

Back