Husqvarna Timing Curves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozhoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
With all the discussion recently on timing, I thought I'd do a little research to unravel what these mysterious little black boxes are actually doing.

Current XP models use either a SEM AM50 or a SEMAM50COT. Here's the timing curves for those two.

AM50
AM50.JPG

AM50COT
AM50COT.JPG

Husqvarna (Current) Model Specs

O

Essentially the curve is just to get it started without kick back?

Interesting that the SEM AM7 is so different - it's less advance and not all in until over 7000rpm. What is that used on?

New to the site, my first post, Is Stihl the only company with computer controlled timing (M-Tronic)?

Welcome aboard. Husqvarna uses Walbro MBU's on some of the 4xx series of homeowner saws. The Walbro link above will give you details on it.
There may be other saw manufactures out there using digital ignition as well.

O

Put your cursor over your user name in the top right corner of the screen. A drop down will have a link for your signature (to list your saws and such) and avatar picture/video.

Put your cursor over your user name in the top right corner of the screen. A drop down will have a link for your signature (to list your saws and such) and avatar picture/video.
Hate to bug you, but I got that the "Avatar" is the picture, but I don't see "signature" or any place to enter my saws. Thanks, in advance.

The newer Stihl coils have similar curves (not the -1300 coil on many popular saws). The pics I have are on pages marked as confidential, so I didn't think I should put them on the internet. The M-Tronic units all use variable timing. It appears that "stutter" type rev limiting has gone the way of the DoDo bird, as the new coils all have a substantial retard curve right about redline RPM.

for added performance would shaving 20 though off the key ,or sourcing
another coil work?
Shaving 0.020" all at once is a LOT. Depending on the size of the crank, shaving 0.010" can produce 5 deg change so you should know where the timing is before changing that much. Most stock saws don't get more than 20 deg advance so it would be better to start with less shaving and see if it introduces starter kickback and any noticeable increase in performance.

Interesting that the SEM AM7 is so different - it's less advance and not all in until over 7000rpm.
As the OP said, it's an analog ignition, i.e. the point at which the spark is triggered is analogous to the rpm. The longer it takes the magnets to pass all three poles of the coil former, the greater the delay.

Latest posts

Back