Husqvarna vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really didn't realize the ignition modules were as advanced as they are. :laugh:
Based on information that was previously posted, which at best reflected only a sudden increase in advance with RPMs, I think most of us on this site were surprised at how sophisticated the advance curves are in many chainsaws. Wish I had more "specific" information for each make.

That said, M-Tronic seems to be the only program that takes in additional factors such as temperature, altitude, fuel quality, etc. If this statement is not accurate, please let me know. I am on this site to learn, not to cheer lead for any particular make. I also wish I could confirm that Auto Tune has all the bugs out. I know the 562 is a excellent saw, and even looks great with that grey accent. But when I see a Husky Rep respond to a costumer complaint about "needing to train dealers on start up procedures" and properly warming the saw up it scared me. My saws are not just used for making fire wood. I have mountain top property in the Catskills 2 miles in on a 4 wheel drive road and when a fallen tree is blocking my path in the dark I need a saw that will start right up and get the job done. My 044 has never failed me, but I would like a lighter saw that can get the job done. That happens when you are in your 60s.

Luckily, we are living at a period in time when technology helps to keep us feeling young for a little longer. My new bow shoots arrows faster a 60 lbs than the old one did at 70 lbs, my new bike (a Trek Madone Series 7) is lighter, stiffer and faster than my old one, and my 4.6 liter Mustang puts out as much HP as a old "built" 7 liter would produce while getting twice the gas mileage. Now I want a lighter chainsaw that cuts like my 044. Just the way it is.

Hope everyone is having a Happy New Year.

The 362 should serve you well, but that graph shouldn't be the deal-sealer, as it is a graph of the ignition module's timing advance. Almost all modern modules do this, and it is not the m-tronic advancing the timing as it senses a need
You are correct, I responded to the graph which was posted first and made assumptions that seem not to be accurate. That said the information on Stihl's website does state that M-Tronic further refines the process with other factors (not just engine RPM). Wish I had the answer as to how much difference it does or does not make.

Niko, the SawTroll seems to have pretty extensive knowledge of Autotune and m-tronic (albeit thru the view of orange colored glasses). My understanding is that m-tronic is the first generation AT purchased from husky. I'll page him to the thread. Hold on to something

M-Tronic seems to be the only program that takes in additional factors such as temperature, altitude, fuel quality, etc.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that M-Tronic is not the only system that does this. I will be first in line to say the Stihl's system seems to be more refined, and less problematic.

Niko, the SawTroll seems to have pretty extensive knowledge of Autotune and m-tronic (albeit thru the view of orange colored glasses). My understanding is that m-tronic is the first generation AT purchased from husky. I'll page him to the thread. Hold on to something

Husky should have kept it then.....it sure seems to have less issues.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that M-Tronic is not the only system that does this. I will be first in line to say the Stihl's system seems to be more refined, and less problematic.

that's what Im hoping on this 261cm. I never read anything about Mtronic but every other day there is something going on with someone's Autotune.

Per Niko

All i know about that is that Stihl is paying royalties to Husky, that is related to it - but it is a "business secret", that none of them will mention in the open. Basically the EU forced Husky to sell rights to Stihl, to avoid what they feared would be a "monopoly" situation.

Does stihl use a different carb? Many of the early A-T problems seemed to be more carb related than the management hardware/software

I would not have been surprised to hear that Stihl had to pay Husky a fee for what they did on the 441. Stihl's use of "air injection" is more of a grab from Husky than their use of the M-Tronic system.

Several false conclusions are being made in this thread. MTronic does not monitor fuel and all kinds of other variables. It simply monitors RPMs and adjusts fuel accordingly. If the adjustment slows the saw down, it goes the other way. Only by monitoring RPMs is it able to adjust for fuel, temp, humidity, altitude, etc.

Also the graph showing a timing curve is not Mtronic making dynamic changes on the fly. Generally speaking, saws either run at idle or WOT. The coil retards the timing at very low RPMs and then goes to full advance at WOT. Nothing more, nothing less.

Again, to the OP, to make your decision on this question is to make a decision on something that will not only have no affect in use of the saw, but is actually the same on both. Go pick up both saws and buy the one that feels best in your hands. Factor that in with cost and dealer support, and you have your answer.

Last edited:
Several false conclusions are being made in this thread. MTronic does not monitor fuel and all kinds of other variables. It simply monitors RPMs and adjusts fuel accordingly. If the adjustment slows the saw down, it goes the other way. Only by monitoring RPMs is it able to adjust for fuel, temp, humidity, altitude, etc.

Also the graph showing a timing curve is not Mtronic making dynamic changes on the fly. Generally speaking, saws either run at idle or WOT. The coil retards the timing at very low RPMs and then goes to full advance at WOT. Nothing more, nothing less.

Again, to the OP, to make your decision on this question is to make a decision on something that will not only have no affect in use of the saw, but is actually the same on both. Go pick up both saws and buy the one that feels best in your hands. Factor that in with cost and dealer support, and you have your answer.

Finally...some sanity !!!

When I saw that these ignition modules had more going on than just retarded and fully advanced I was surprised.

I read everything in that tech paper posted earlier. It seems that these newer modules have several modes. Starting at one ignition timing setting, idle at another, wot at yet another, and then when overspeed is reached, they either miss a beat, or retard depending on the unit. Much more complex than I thought.

Gen 1 Auto Tune was apart from a basic learning curve, terrific and not prone to issues, regretfully it was released on an unpopular platform. The Gen 2 well I have yet to work on a stock saw where the "problematic" AT specific issues were not rectified by a software update and in one case component replacement.

Still cant even get an M-Tronic locally yet.

Latest posts

Back