Husqvarna X-Cut Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavymachinery2121

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m running the C83 X-Cut chain on my bar and I’m very satisfied with it. When I was trying to find a few more online, I came across S83G chain. To me it looks to be semi-chisel.

Has anyone used this model? What are your thoughts?

Looks like the s83g is semi chisel. safety chain . Heres your c83

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-58...f0&hvadid=80333160033506&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvb

Steve
Thanks Steve. Have you ever run the S83G chain? I ordered 5 of them off Amazon as they were on-sale, but am not sure if I am going to keep them based on anyone's comments.

As I mentioned I'm happy with the full chisel, but have recently been cutting in a dirtier environment which is making me go through chains quickly.

I've been buying the c83 x cut chain as well but have never seen it offered in semi chisel. The chains in your links above are full chisel - too much of an upside down L shape to the cutter. Could be wrong (and would love to be actually) but I don't think Husqvarna makes the c83 x cut in anything but full chisel.
Steve

I've been buying the c83 x cut chain as well but have never seen it offered in semi chisel. The chains in your links above are full chisel - too much of an upside down L shape to the cutter. Could be wrong (and would love to be actually) but I don't think Husqvarna makes the c83 x cut in anything but full chisel.
Steve
This is what I ended up buying. I haven’t opened the packages yet, but from what I found online it is semi chisel. I couldn’t find it on husky’s website though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VDS7TG1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dl_20425F9CAM39NMNHZV2X

That’s looks similar to the Stihl green chain. The stihl stuff isn’t too bad, maybe get a progressive raker gauge and file the rakers for soft wood. I did that to my Stihl chain and it helped

That's awesome. Problem is I run 24" and 28" lengths almost all the time. lol. Have you ever ran across loops in those sizes that are semi chisel? Steve
I have a 24” bar but only have full chisel. Give me a little time and I’ll do some digging for you.

So why is all of this stuff only in .50 gauge?? I have a 20" bar in .58 gauge on my 372 and would like to try this chain but.......

how does it cut as compared to a standard full chisel (Oregon,Stihl, ext..) ?

So why is all of this stuff only in .50 gauge?? I have a 20" bar in .58 gauge on my 372 and would like to try this chain but.......

For a .058 gauge you need to look for C85

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VFKJK7F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0MPH285CRC77XT9CKFEZ

Personally I think it cuts better than Oregon which are most of my chains I run on my Jonsered. I only have one Stihl chain which came with my MS462 and I think it cuts comparable.

These x-cuts are the only thing I buy now. You can’t beat the price for them if you can find them on sale.

I too only run the x cut chain now - can't beat the price for the high quality chain it is. I just bought 4 loops of 28" off ebay for $19.00 a chain which is probably half the price of oregon or stihl in the same size. Yeah, it's full chisel and I know going in cutting that I'm going to wind up with a pile of chains that will need sharpening when I'm done but I sharpen with a Super Jolly grinder anyway so it's not a big deal...

I grabbed a few of the husqy chains last Summer. They are comparable to stihl rs chain as far as durability. Oregon chain hasn't really impressed me as of late. Even their semi chisel chain doesn't stay as sharp as long as full chisel stihl or the new husqy chain. I want super impressed with the first sharpening of the husqy chain as it's a square grind from factory. Took considerably longer to file to a round profile then what I would have liked. Once it was sharpened the first time touch up with a good file has been relatively easy. If I went solely based on price, I will keep getting the husqy chain in full chisel, throw it on the grinder right out of the box and convert to round ground. Will be interesting to see if that stihl hex whatever chain cones to market if thats any better then the current offerings.

Husqvarna x-cut c83 chain is only made in full chisel. C83 x-cut is for .050 bar and Husqvarna also makes a x-cut C85 version which is for .058 bars. It like the best of both worlds. It is full chisel but stays sharp even when cutting dirty wood like a semi chisel.

Back