Hutzl / Farmertec 036/MS360 Vs MS361 Kits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul99

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm not certain either will have me selling my 028 Super (the main reason I've so far held off getting another smaller saw TBH) but I enjoyed putting my MS660 kit together and am very, very happy with the way it runs. With a touch of CAD kicking in I'm curious now, to see now if the smaller kit saws run / can be made to run just as well so started doing a little more reading over the last few days.

I've read broadly positive feedback for both versions but has anyone here played with them both and noticed one kit better than the other as I can't make my mind up as to which to go for.

I'm not certain either will have me selling my 028 Super (the main reason I've so far held off getting another smaller saw TBH) but I enjoyed putting my MS660 kit together and am very, very happy with the way it runs. With a touch of CAD kicking in I'm curious now, to see now if the smaller kit saws run / can be made to run just as well so started doing a little more reading over the last few days.

I've read broadly positive feedback for both versions but has anyone here played with them both and noticed one kit better than the other as I can't make my mind up as to which to go for.

You didn't ask about them, but I built the MS380 version. It went together well and runs well ... now. I had issues with the choke flap in the air filter being sucked closed at wide-open-throttle causing the saw to not run well at all. I have come to learn that this was not uncommon, even in the OEM air filters. A dremel tool applied to the right areas of and around the choke flap, and all is well.

I haven't had a chance yet to run the saw in wood yet, but it seems to really drink the fuel quickly - just in my time playing around in the garage. It's a good size and weight though.

You didn't ask about them, but I built the MS380 version. It went together well and runs well ... now. I had issues with the choke flap in the air filter being sucked closed at wide-open-throttle causing the saw to not run well at all. I have come to learn that this was not uncommon, even in the OEM air filters. A dremel tool applied to the right areas of and around the choke flap, and all is well.

I haven't had a chance yet to run the saw in wood yet, but it seems to really drink the fuel quickly - just in my time playing around in the garage. It's a good size and weight though.

TBH since getting the MS660 I've considered all the kits at one time or another. An 038 / MS380 or perhaps more likely an MS440 really ought to be the next logical saw as it would fit better between the 028S and 660 than a 036/360/361 would but I'm not sure I have enough work for a 70cc saw - at least not enough to put me off using the 660 instead despite the weight penalty. I figured on the 036 / 360 / 361 being of similar weight to the 028S (which isn't exactly lightweight for a 50cc saw) but having a noticeable increase in power and speed - that maybe wishful thinking though...

TBH since getting the MS660 I've considered all the kits at one time or another. An 038 / MS380 or perhaps more likely an MS440 really ought to be the next logical saw as it would fit better between the 028S and 660 than a 036/360/361 would but I'm not sure I have enough work for a 70cc saw - at least not enough to put me off using the 660 instead despite the weight penalty. I figured on the 036 / 360 / 361 being of similar weight to the 028S (which isn't exactly lightweight for a 50cc saw) but having a noticeable increase in power and speed - that maybe wishful thinking though...

Bah! Why are you using good logic to muddy up this decision? :crazy2:

Get the 440 and the 361! These kits are as addictive as potato chips - you can't eat just one!!! :clap:

(for those of you that might flame me for being "funds-available insensitive" ... the above was all "tongue in cheek")

I would steer clear of the ms361 clone. But that's just from what I've seen.
I am not too sure about the 440 either
I Am going to build the 365 husq kit. I have more faith in that for some reason.

I have a real ms361 And I would rather use the ms660. Clone if its too big for my 16 inch 35cc saw being tired is worse than cutting through it fast. But that's just my opinion. I also have a 028 with a duromatic bar on it for dirty stuff.

The 028 the 361. 440 the 660. They are all over that light weight hump.
But then again I use a 34cc brush cutter for a line trimmer around the house and It doesn't bother me.

I would steer clear of the ms361 clone. But that's just from what I've seen.
I am not too sure about the 440 either
I Am going to build the 365 husq kit. I have more faith in that for some reason.

I have a real ms361 And I would rather use the ms660. Clone if its too big for my 16 inch 35cc saw being tired is worse than cutting through it fast. But that's just my opinion. I also have a 028 with a duromatic bar on it for dirty stuff.

The 028 the 361. 440 the 660. They are all over that light weight hump.
But then again I use a 34cc brush cutter for a line trimmer around the house and It doesn't bother me.

I've since come across a few concerns about the 361 cranks failing. It looks like I just need to do a lot more reading as I can't, so far, see if this issue exists with the 360 kits too.

The Husky 365 kit looks interesting and here in the UK at least is the cheapest of the kits they do. Not sure I want to buy into yet another bar mount though hence the leaning towards the Stihl versions.

Your dead right about the weight of them all.... If they did a 240 or 260 kit I'd all ready have got one. 75% of the wood I cut is manageable with a 50cc saw anything bigger I have an old 100cc dolmar and the 660 which are both a joy to use and both likely be picked in preference to any 70cc model. As it is the 360 family seems the next best option if it's actually to get regular use.

What has shipping (US) been running on these?

Not sure about US prices tbh as I'm in the UK guessing it'll be listed on the Huztl or arbourtec site though?

I see a lot of hand-wringing on this board over a few ounces of weight difference between saws. Someone please help me understand this obsession. When I am out cutting wood (I'm 53) the rounds and logs, even the branches I handle are usually FAR heavier than the saw I am using.

For those who are worried about a few ounces heavier on the saw, are those people having someone else handle the rest of the wood cutting chores?

I get that a MS180 weighs less than a MS660, however these saws have different intended uses. But the difference between , say, a 361 and a 380?

I don't get it.

I dunno, maybe it's the same type of obsession that drives one to modify a saw to get a 1 second less time through a "cookie"?

Fast forward a few busy months and I'm still deliberating on the next kit saw.

Having read just about all I can find on the net I'm actually left wondering if there is really is a problem with the 361 cranks?... I may have just missed it but I have yet to come across any postings / photos / videos, direct from the horses mouth, describing a broken crank let alone a series of them... there seems to be no shortage of "I heard, saw, read" type rumours / Chinese whispers on the subject which may just be blowing the issue well out of proportion?

In case I have failed to look hard enough does anyone have any links highlighting the problem or has experienced this problem themselves? Or conversely for those that have built one is your ms360 / 361 clone still running as intended?

The 360/036 would be an easier saw to build (similar to the 660 you built). My old man has a real MS361 and it's a sweet saw. It's the only saw he runs. Probably the best all around saw out there. Sorry can't help between the 2 Hutzl versions.

Probably an old post, but I just built a MS360. It was missing the carb grommet for the compensating snorkel, the grommet where the kill wires pass through the frame, brake band was missing pin, brake spring hook on back (carb side) was wrong (on the side instead of middle of coil). Came with crank seals installed. Pto side seal wouldn't go around crank while it was pressed in and had ti be removed and replaced. Worst part was when the decompression valve partially blew out the threads on inital start-up and sucked pieces of aluminum threads into the cylinder.

All said, it was cheap, and a good puzzle. But I've had to sink an extra 60 into it for parts. So still roughly half price. And It did start up on the first few tries.

Probably an old post, but I just built a MS360. It was missing the carb grommet for the compensating snorkel, the grommet where the kill wires pass through the frame, brake band was missing pin, brake spring hook on back (carb side) was wrong (on the side instead of middle of coil). Came with crank seals installed. Pto side seal wouldn't go around crank while it was pressed in and had ti be removed and replaced. Worst part was when the decompression valve partially blew out the threads on inital start-up and sucked pieces of aluminum threads into the cylinder.

All said, it was cheap, and a good puzzle. But I've had to sink an extra 60 into it for parts. So still roughly half price. And It did start up on the first few tries.

Old post but not obsolete... I never did come to a decision on 360 vs 361 kit saw kept changing my mind, putting off making an order and then kind of forgot all about the idea. I kept reading about the various kits but then, by chance, came across a knackered oem 038 Super locally for cheap which I bought and restored / converted to an 038 magnum.

This scratched the CAD itch and satisfied some of my curiosity about restoring oem vs building Chinese kits but ironically the 038 / ms380 was the least interesting to me as far as the kits go. Having worked on this model and run it a little I can, now, see more appeal in it.

I also should also say that I've still yet to come across any first hand accounts of failing cranks on either 360 or 361 kit saws... and likely one or the other will still be my next saw build (barring any more spares or repairs saws appearing locally). This is unlikely to be for quite a while though as other projects will likely be taking up a lot of my free time if they materialise.

I built one of the 361 kits last winter over christmas and really liked it when it ran... the soft parts you should just figure out on replacing such as the fuel/oil lines and the carb boot. The boot has given me such a headache the last couple of months with not sealing. Thought it was the carb so I got a used oem and rebuilt it, didn't help so I pressure/vac tested again and came to the conclusion that i had an air leak between the carb and the boot. Cut a cork gasket and it's worked fine ever since. I will be replacing the boot at some point, but the cork gasket works for the interim. Their rubber stuff is very inflexible to begin with, but the freezing temps we get up in MN make it downright impossible to use. Other than that complaint, it is a wonderful saw and a joy to run. Got somewhere around 20+ tanks on it now with most on a chainsaw mill. Good antivibe and excellent power after the muffler mod. Currently it's my go to modern saw with a 20'' on it.

Old post but not obsolete... I never did come to a decision on 360 vs 361 kit saw kept changing my mind, putting off making an order and then kind of forgot all about the idea. I kept reading about the various kits but then, by chance, came across a knackered oem 038 Super locally for cheap which I bought and restored / converted to an 038 magnum.

This scratched the CAD itch and satisfied some of my curiosity about restoring oem vs building Chinese kits but ironically the 038 / ms380 was the least interesting to me as far as the kits go. Having worked on this model and run it a little I can, now, see more appeal in it.

I also should also say that I've still yet to come across any first hand accounts of failing cranks on either 360 or 361 kit saws... and likely one or the other will still be my next saw build (barring any more spares or repairs saws appearing locally). This is unlikely to be for quite a while though as other projects will likely be taking up a lot of my free time if they materialise.

To be fair, it's quite easy to pull the jug and replace. But I'm like a kid with the kit. Excited, then have to stop and wait for a missing part, then start again and have to stop and wait. But there isn't any travesty about putting a chinese p&c on it.

For what it's worth, I got mine off Ebay from HLsupply. I ordered a new cylinder and still got a 044/440 kit from huztl. It wasn't unexpected at any rate.

Saw did go together really well, and started up without any mysterious no start issues. Carb got it to idle well. If you have the extra $ and time it's a decent puzzle. I've rebuilt multiple 026s and it seems like a bigger version of it.

I did notice the intake boot is stiffer than all other oem ones, ebay has cheap used oem ones. But go ahead and order a stihl oil like kit for this saw. Line from pump to bar. The brass insert isn't on an ipl, so the chinese don't make it. Plus try explaining to them they are mussins a part that doesn't show on the ipl. Talk about circle talk. I just bought the line.

Latest posts

Back