Huztl / Farmertec ms 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my 52mm cylinder yesterday. I ordered it from Huztl ebay 12/27/16 for $27.00 shipped. There are absolutely no marking on the cylinder anywhere.

The cylinder looks very good. It does not have any machined areas except the bore, sparkplug and decomp holes unlike all of the other huztl cylinders I have purchased (about 15). It does have a noticeable machine mark in the bore between the upper and lower transfer ports. It is perpendicular to the bore and I can feel it with my fingernail. There is also a small amount of porosity in the bore finish in one small area but I think it is below the ring travel. I am going to clean the ports up some. They have a little casting roughness at the port openings that should clean up easily. Some of the port edges looked like they could use a little more chamfering.
The base of the cylinder is very narrow on the sides of the bore on the 52mm. Hopefully this won't create any sealing issues.
I should have time to assemble tonight. I will delete the base gasket if I can. Too bad I don't have the wire throttle linkage to finish it up yet!

Attachments

• 20170123_225514.jpg
    20170123_225514.jpg
    937.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20170123_225527.jpg
    20170123_225527.jpg
    958.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20170123_225540.jpg
    20170123_225540.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • 20170123_225552.jpg
    20170123_225552.jpg
    926.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20170123_225604.jpg
    20170123_225604.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 20170123_225615.jpg
    20170123_225615.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
our jugs are different, mine is branded.

I got the case put together, it took about 20 minutes. It was very simple since the seals are not as tight as on the MS660 build kit, or i just got real lucky non rolled or puckered. I was glad of that. Missing a wire too, dang. I went to put the manifold on the cylinder and my clamp is to small. No way to make it work. The smallest buffer just beat my behind, I never got it in and spent a bunch of time on it, i will come back to it. Getting frustrated is not helpful. i will go at it again tomorrow. i wonder if someone close has a clamp. the gasket was better than my ms660 gasket...i thought, it laid better if there is such a thing.

I did a video of the assembly for first timers, its easy peaszy. Remembering my first, it was not easy for me.

our jugs are different, mine is branded.

I got the case put together, it took about 20 minutes. It was very simple since the seals are not as tight as on the MS660 build kit, or i just got real lucky non rolled or puckered. I was glad of that. Missing a wire too, dang. I went to put the manifold on the cylinder and my clamp is to small. No way to make it work. The smallest buffer just beat my behind, I never got it in and spent a bunch of time on it, i will come back to it. Getting frustrated is not helpful. i will go at it again tomorrow. i wonder if someone close has a clamp. the gasket was better than my ms660 gasket...i thought, it laid better if there is such a thing.

I did a video of the assembly for first timers, its easy peaszy. Remembering my first, it was not easy for me.

Where did you get the 52mm cylinder? After looking at mine in more detail it is very nicely finished. I just finished installing it. It would not work without the base gasket. The piston contacted the top of the cylinder so I used the base gasket.
The squish band is not shaped correctly. The outer diameter of the squish band is 0.038". About 1/4 inch in from the bore diameter the squish is only 0.024". We shall see how it runs.
I thought my carb boot clamp was too small also but I did get it on. I got the boot on then slipped the clamp over afterwards. It seems like the rubber on the 440 kit is more flexible than on my 660 kits. The clamp is beefier than the 660 kit clamp.

Waiting for the missing throttle linkage...

Where did you get the 52mm cylinder? After looking at mine in more detail it is very nicely finished. I just finished installing it. It would not work without the base gasket. The piston contacted the top of the cylinder so I used the base gasket.
The squish band is not shaped correctly. The outer diameter of the squish band is 0.038". About 1/4 inch in from the bore diameter the squish is only 0.024". We shall see how it runs.
I thought my carb boot clamp was too small also but I did get it on. I got the boot on then slipped the clamp over afterwards. It seems like the rubber on the 440 kit is more flexible than on my 660 kits. The clamp is beefier than the 660 kit clamp.

Waiting for the missing throttle linkage...
I have what they put in the box on the 52mm. My clamp was misshapen and I could not make it work because it was just to tight would have cut the rubber over time. You know how this works. The worker puts what's there in the box to ship it. Most of the time it's right. I wonder if the rings are correct size better check that too. This is going be a keeper.

Did you order your wire from stihl or did you ask Huztl to send you one? They said they would send the correct spring and I asked if they would do that first thing when they got started back up.

I may go with a Stihl clamp to move along I been tied up this morning am going to call around now, will ask about wire. Putting it together won't take long.

How did you get the small rubber buffer in the case?

I have what they put in the box on the 52mm. My clamp was misshapen and I could not make it work because it was just to tight would have cut the rubber over time. You know how this works. The worker puts what's there in the box to ship it. Most of the time it's right. I wonder if the rings are correct size better check that too. This is going be a keeper.

Did you order your wire from stihl or did you ask Huztl to send you one? They said they would send the correct spring and I asked if they would do that first thing when they got started back up.

I may go with a Stihl clamp to move along I been tied up this morning am going to call around now, will ask about wire. Putting it together won't take long.

How did you get the small rubber buffer in the case?
My local Stihl dealer did not have the wire in stock so I decided just to wait for Huztl to send me a the linkage and a couple of other missing parts. I am also waiting for a broken pawl on the recoil when the kit arrived at my house. I notified Huztl about the issues on January 6th and after a couple of email correspondences, they agreed to ship the parts. I expect them to arrive anytime now...

I worked the small buffer into it's hole with a small flat blade screwdriver. I have everything complete now except the final installation of the carb/filter assembly and the recoil.

My local dealer had the rod in stock for 4.99$. the tension spring he has to order for 16.99$ and the manifold clip @ 4.49$. I am going to get the tank protector that fits under the handle for 10.20$ he just placed an order this morning so I gotta wait. Gonna keep calling might find one close by. Price should be close.

I found a clip I will p/u tomorrow pm. So it will be getty up after the brake can be last

i just read the manual and it says

"On clamps with spacer sleeve,
tighten the screw until the gap
between the two ends of the clamp
is 5 to 6 mm (0.17 to 0,24 in)."

i was able to re-adjust my clip and got it corrected. but it is so small it closes, but will not close enough. i guess the specs are to give you enough meat so it does not vibrate lose and you end up with an air leak. the gap in my photo is 15mm.

Attachments

• Skitch.png
    Skitch.png
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170125_160019.jpg
    20170125_160019.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 51
You can make your own aluminum foil heat reflector. This tape is real aluminum and is available at Lowes.

051111078129.jpg

Anybody have issues with the oiler? Worm gear?

I have the sleeve greased and installed. I installed and reinstalled the oil pump several times trying to get the worm in place.

Finally pump first as normal and played with worm until it caught.

It's tight as dicks hat band. I looked closely to see if the threads were off but it seems pump it not properly centered around crank and that would bind up the worm. Screws are in but very tight. I wonder if that little pipe is whacked out

I have walked away from it for now

I have no doubt. I wondered if anyone else faced this and if so those type things would make more sense. I will take another look in morning. Fresh eyes.

I did a pressure vac test and its sealed. One step forward one back

My oiler went together okay. I did struggle with getting the drum down in place. The case fitment to the drum is very tight. I do have a spot during rotation of the drum where something is catching. It's probably the worm gear arm hitting the case but I have checked that a couple of times without the drum in place.

I received a package from Huztl today. Hopefully it's the missing parts and I can finish the build.

Do you suspect the drum out of round? Good to hear your placement was OK. I went to pickup my throttle wire today and the guy had the wrong throttle wire for me. But the clamp was at the other dealer. Hope your parts are there.

Latest posts

Back