Huztl / Farmertec ms 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone have access to a stihl oem wrist pin. i wonder what the weight difference is with the farmertec.

Yep. It maybe tonight before I can get to weigh it.
9be4c824fefa13e50184e57b8cdf8631.jpg

I can tell from here the one in the kit is to heavy and that would affect the balance. No need to weight it. Wow.

I can tell you oem is thinner and lighter. That's not the vibration problem I've put 460 topends on 440's and w/ no Ill effects. That's 2mm larger piston. A 460 BB on a on a 440 maybe.

OEM Stihl pin is also very slightly tapered at the ends to push the circlips down in the groove.
It is lighter than Farmertec, NWP and Meteor pins, a difference of grams not ounces :)
Is the flywheel set perfectly square on the tapered crankshaft?
This probably wouldn't happen on this model but I have seen a poorly cast captured key cause the flywheel to be seated improperly, vibrated like mad for a second or so till it sheared.
My .02 is on a bad flywheel or crank

Again, you make my point. Chainsaws are not balanced in the manner you suggest.
We are not talking OEM crank. The aftermarket crank could have some questionable bearings, OK likely, and it cause an unexpected issue that all your experience would miss.

You really should be using and holding the same parts as the people you are now preaching too.

We need to watch for differences

I second that. The second they get their feet on the ground I will talk to my contact. Let's give them 24 hrs. He pledged to listen.

I have learned to look for diffences and suspect them first. This must be a larger problem that effects many people as it would.

When it comes to advice, you need to decide why that advise is being given. There are a lot of caring and knowledgeable people on this web site who share their ideas and experience freely without asking for anything in return other than an acknowledgment of that with a thank you. That's what drew me to this website and that's what keeps me here, it took me over 2 years before I felt enough confidence to offer advice from any of my adventures in chainsaw repair. I do chainsaws now cause I heat with wood and I'm retired after a career in construction, in the process I contracted the dreaded CAD and now my garage-shop is overflowing with too many chainsaws to count, I'd estimate at least 30. With help from the guys on AS most of them are runners or on their way to being a runner and I take in saws from friends to repair, rarely for money, usually a 12 pack of my favorite beer and pay for parts will suffice. Along the way I've made a few friends and that part was completely unexpected but welcome. My point is there is a wealth of knowledge here to be shared if you're willing to do the research, these things called chainsaws get under your skin so be careful and make some friends along the way. :cool:;)

I am not paid. I asked for one thing and got something better, access. If you think that's not an asset oh well.

I thought the kits were the greatest before you ever heard of them. Still do.

That notice on their website we are on vacation. Part of my prize. Did that help you?

I will point out the guys pointing out this issue, say, that they have swapped out crank, cylinder, flywheel?

It's so easy to get drawn away from the problem

I am not paid. I asked for one thing and got something better, access. If you think that's not an asset oh well.

I thought the kits were the greatest before you ever heard of them. Still do.

That notice on their website we are on vacation. Part of my prize. Did that help you?
I know not where you come from, don't know if its me or you but you seem to not like to be second guessed. i would bet that Brad and Dave have built more saws in the last month than you have in your life so their experience is invaluable. We all make mistakes, these guys have taken a lot of the guess work out of the process and for that I thank them.

I am not resisting their experience or minimizing it. I made the point that the kit is a different quailty. The parts a copies and that makes a huge difference that must be acknowledged. I just pointed out that the guys troubleshooting this problem eliminated several of the components these guys raised. They exchanged the crank, the flywheel.

I am at least one that replaced the carb that came with the kit. I have had no carburation problems at all with the replacement. Holds a tune and snappy throttle response. I replaced mine because the kit carb had a choke return spring that was too weak to return the choke plate to "open" reliably.

Does your saw seem to have excessive vibration? I'm not sure if anyone else has one running

Latest posts

Back