Huztl / Farmertec ms 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was talking about waiting, but you are not.
Well sort of.it takes a month or so to get bits out here, sometimes more sometimes less. So I always have more than one project on the go. Haven't split the cases yet, mostly cause I was a bit gutted and I wanted to get over that. Never good to be emotional working on a saw. But it'll come right that's part of the fun of it

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Parts arrived today so I split the cases. Best guess is it started at the big end. It's hard to see in the photos but the big end of the con rod has turned blue and the rollers are all gone, it's just the brass cage in there.that would explain the metal and the damage in the crank mains. I'm pretty certain that I caused it with the piston hitting the top of the cylinder. So I have put it back together with new parts and the 50mm jug and piston, and I'll run it tomorrow. I'm terrible at remembering to take photos as I go but I'll video it if and when it runs tomorrow. My new golden rule. Never assume new parts will just fit together. Measure everything.
7675b06c3a1aa949430ae435a71b0e3b.jpg
1ceb43a966226b298f58e0d46564984d.jpg
80e1acf1210f6c2f9200cc69af8db85e.jpg

It started second pull. Idled well. I warmed it up and then lowered the idle slightly as you would see if I could put the video up like I said I would. I screwed in the high speed jet till it four stroked in the cut and then out another 16th of a turn to make sure it's nice and rich to run in. I run that tank through cutting small stuff and letting it idle heaps. No full revs yet. First impressions are that it doesn't vib as much, and although the throttle response is slower, it has the same power and maybe better top end. Silly to try and make comparisons on a saw with all new bits but it'll be interesting to see how it goes as it breaks in.
I also ran it on it's sides and upside down and the revs never change, and it ran the tank almost dry, although I stopped it before that happened.

Parts arrived today so I split the cases. Best guess is it started at the big end. It's hard to see in the photos but the big end of the con rod has turned blue and the rollers are all gone, it's just the brass cage in there.that would explain the metal and the damage in the crank mains. I'm pretty certain that I caused it with the piston hitting the top of the cylinder. So I have put it back together with new parts and the 50mm jug and piston, and I'll run it tomorrow. I'm terrible at remembering to take photos as I go but I'll video it if and when it runs tomorrow. My new golden rule. Never assume new parts will just fit together. Measure everything.
7675b06c3a1aa949430ae435a71b0e3b.jpg
1ceb43a966226b298f58e0d46564984d.jpg
80e1acf1210f6c2f9200cc69af8db85e.jpg

Nice pics. Interesting failure for sure.

Yep, I made it clear the other two posts. Guess I just got in a hurry. Trying to get the word out so everyone could buy at a big discount before time runs out. Some of us it would not matter we would just buy again. I know someone who bought for this fall when they had more time. Too busy now.

I suspected farmertec made their stuff. HL knows it's good stuff. How does the crank operate in the cross cylinder. Does it bump and move freely?

I recently heard the cylinders will be soon. But I like the screws are labeled on this one. I personally haven't got that far on it yet. But I think I heard something that is did alittle

The Huztl kits are 25-30% off right now on their website. 440 is $135 + ship.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I took the rebuilt 440 out today and cut some big old willow, 25 or 30" stuff, just to give it something soft to work on, and put a few tanks through it. It started well, and idled well and behaved itself very well. It's getting stronger, but I think it will need the big bore to get anywhere near my 048, even though by ear it has more revs. It has lots less weight though and with the 25" bar it's balanced very well, so I'm happy so far.

I took advantage of this sale and ordered the 440 last night. I'll be looking forward to this build and am thankful this thread is here!
There are YouTube videos on assembly of these kits. The models are similar so putting the engine together on a 660 is very similar to 440. The oiler will look different but it goes in the same place. And we are here for you. No question during a build is dumb. Ask and you will get a bunch of help. Share pictures and your experiences we love ever minute of it.

Thank you! I found your videos last night and watch for quite some time. I appreciate you taking the time to put them together.

Most of what I have read points to that the quality is pretty good on these clones. A couple of key parts I have been wondering about. The gaskets (crank case, cylinder, and exhaust), the ignition coil, the rubber hoses (fuel, oil, and impulse), and the bears and bearing seals. How is their quality?

There are YouTube videos on assembly of these kits. The models are similar so putting the engine together on a 660 is very similar to 440. The oiler will look different but it goes in the same place. And we are here for you. No question during a build is dumb. Ask and you will get a bunch of help. Share pictures and your experiences we love ever minute of it.

Thank you! I found your videos last night and watch for quite some time. I appreciate you taking the time to put them together.

Most of what I have read points to that the quality is pretty good on these clones. A couple of key parts I have been wondering about. The gaskets (crank case, cylinder, and exhaust), the ignition coil, the rubber hoses (fuel, oil, and impulse), and the bears and bearing seals. How is their quality?
Yes sir. There are things that depending on the model are changed to oem. Like the decomp valve. For some reason the farmertec pops every pull and a oem pops when it starts. Earlier we suspected everything. Rather than understand what was going on people would run to the OEM store

The fun in these kits is the journey you will wind up way wiser about 2 cycle. I know a guy that built these just so he could show people how to build them and he never actually could start them. Because he was more into the movie star thing. My point is they mean different things to different people. For most of us it's about building our own awesome saw and that's the way it turned out for me.

I would tell you to order extra oil seals and gaskets sets when you order your saw in case you tear it or choose to remove the oil seal and replace it after you install the crank. Get a tube of dirko and some Stihl gear Head grease and some pressure fluid (5$) loctite 243/242 and some 2cycle oil to wipe your jug with after washing it in gas and before inserting your rings

And have some fun.

Betcha can't build just one!

Edit: to do it right

Oh my I forgot. Buy a mityvac before you buy the saw. You have to do the tests don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My saws work and will continue to work. They all were tested

Latest posts

Back