Huztl / Farmertec ms 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You WERE giving advice and it was wrong.

Bedford, I have been down this road with you before, as have others here. I'm not going to reply to you anymore. You have made some very nice videos to help people with their kits. You have run interference with Huztl on a number of issues. For these things, you are to be commended. But come on man, some self-awareness that you are not God's gift to this cause would sure be nice.

Since you always have to have the last word, I know you'll be along to respond shortly. Don't let me down.

So making helpful videos does not qualify this guy from making statements like test your work? You maybe could not afford the tester and have grown a nice big bin of parts that you can switch around until you find the fault. Fixing a saw has gotta be like building one and a tester is the smart move and should not be a guessing game. Puts you in the drivers seat wondering if that tank vent is working or the seals are leaking, He must use the smoke he his blowing here to test his saws. I have been lurking around and I have yet to see you offer the group anything worth wild. I think more people would speak up if they were not ripped apart and the forum would get better. I appreciate people that help others. You are going to quit responding to him. Oh my god what a threat.lol

There's more history to this story than present in this thread or this site.
There's been an "air" about it that hasn't been as bad recently, but is still very much around. People have every right to critique Bed T and others as it pertains to this topic and his use of tone in posts. Nice of you to defend, but please understand the history.
To your point regarding more people posting info. I agree, but know that the very person you defend is guilty of the same accusation.

There's more history to this story than present in this thread or this site.
There's been an "air" about it that hasn't been as bad recently, but is still very much around. People have every right to critique Bed T and others as it pertains to this topic and his use of tone in posts. Nice of you to defend, but please understand the history.
To your point regarding more people posting info. I agree, but know that the very person you defend is guilty of the same accusation.

I see that he recommended a pressure test and the guy rips him for it. You might be to quick to gang up on a fella. In fact I don't normally shoot my mouth off but sometimes it tough to watch people get bullied and I think that is the case here. I have watched as people have ganged up on him for no reason I can see and I read carefully. I read 10 posts today and had nothing to offer and then I see this. Its disgusting school yard type stuff.

If a pressure and vacuum test was harmful then this type rhetoric might have been called for but it is not. Testing your work is not a bad practice, its smart like doing a site survey. From what I have seen his tone has been low key and defensive because its been one sided. It all caught my eye because he was so intent in sharing these kits with everyone and sharing information, single minded. I have seen him cussed almost over near nothing, from my angle frankly I am impressed he has never been viscous with anyone, he must be Quaker

This is creepy talk, sir don't let this people run you over. It is not right.

Naaa. Not ganging up, just presenting facts. Admittedly there hasn't been much posted here recently, but it was there and definitely is remembered.

Do you frequent other saw forums?

P/v testing is fine to recommend, by the way. Let's not go straw man here.

What I like about this site is that compared to others I've seen, (and yes I've seen the"banter" referred to) this site is friendly and accepting, mostly. I won't judge on past events if I'm not judged. It is easy to take offence through things written and for all I know that might be justified but what if the intention was actually good? I know I irritate the stuffing out of people I don't get along with but I don't actually mean to. Maybe the same is true here? My two cents,

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

AS has some of the most sordid history one can find relating to saws. From some of the original debates with founding members to husky/stihl to port wars, it's been rough.

Tim---I'd like to think that it has run its course at this point, but like any internet forum, there will be conflicts at times. The problem is that this site has more content than all the others combined. I'm a member on other forums but for straight-up learning this is still the place to read.

On a different note, my 440 still goes, and well, but it does now have a very slight hesitation or flat spot off idle. Has anybody else seen that? I've re tuned the carb and it didn't change. There are lots of new bits on the saw. P&C, carb, crank, etc, but to me it feels like the carb is fueling too much or too little when the throttle is opened, it's worse when the throttle is opened fast.

The carb on mine wouldn't tune. So I had a 460 carb laying around I used instead. Does your stumble and puff any smoke when you hit the trigger? I tune my L a little leaner than most probably do.
When warmed up I lean the L out til it's on lean drop off then richen up a little to get a good crips throttle.

My 044 kit had a carb that has a choke plate that binds no matter what I do to correct it. (note to self - I had offered this same information before on this thread - apparently someone didn't go very far back before condemning me as a "non-helper") I ordered a new Chinese carb and have had no problems since. I have heard a lot of spotty problems here with the Chinese knock-off carbs. If you can and want to , order a new one to see if you can solve it quickly - they're pretty inexpensive. OR, you can mess with this one for a while and be HUGELY satisfied when you get it to work right.

I do have a genuine 460 carb I will try. I normally do exactly what you describe to tune I'm just a bit sensitive about this saw because it needed a new crank 5 hours in. I'll get over it but the carb suggestion sounds good, the first carb flooded the engine and didn't function at all.

On the 460 carb it tunes good on the high. And on the Low it'll tune but after about 20sec of idling it'll slowly load up. But my saw never idles that long so it's never noticed.

As soon as I get some good service I'll try to post a Huztl 440 vid with the 460 carb. As far as info and help goes I try to help who ever needs or wants it. I know little about husky's but if it's a Stihl I have the info or can get it.
But on some things I don't mention how I do it because it's not by "the book" and some will criticize that's not the way to do it. As everyone knows there's several ways to do almost anything.
How many are working on a 440 build right now? Here's a real 440 I worked on last week that had a pto seal leaking and the base gasket leak. Well it ended up screwing the topend. A pressure and vacc test showed the faults. I put a BB kit on it.
b51784cd1bccb6e44dcff2a8486144db.jpg
ff01e6b08f64d2cd2e76b5f660eb3d68.jpg
5a43e30fec5a5378fd42036cb696e948.jpg

I have a 440 on the docket in a few weeks. Complete rebuild w a different set of cases and a Meteor. Fyi-- oem piston was $72ish from dealer. Also still waiting on the gasket kit.
That cylinder seem ok?

The BB cylinder was a nwp I got for a good price. It did look pretty good I just touched the port bevels with some 220 grit.

So I went to run the 440 again the other day. Filled it with fuel and oil, checked and adjusted the chain, put a piece of old carpet in the back of the Landcruiser, and put the 440 next to the farmertec 372 I just built. It didn't like that at all, when I got to the wood pile it had filled the cases with fuel again!
So the 372 got more work and the 440 went back on the bench.
And my brain went to work.
Most other chainsaws don't run pressurised tanks as far as I can see,.just good vent systems, and the carb on the Stihl copy obviously doesn't play well with pressure..... So I modified the old tank vent I had so that it doesn't seal either way, but slowly let's air out. Then I put it back together and started it up. Once it was warm I had to retune it but out seems to run better, the dead spot has gone and it transitions better to high rpm. I know it will dribble fuel when it's upside down but that's better than emptying it's guts all the time.
Isn't it?
Will doing this cause any other problems?

Back