Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me oll lady ain't allowed In The garage. Not sure if it's because of the chainsaws or the hookers. Either way that's a no zone. I make sure I always come out greasy dirty and smelling like gas. She dosent want anything to do with anything garage now.

Anybody got the Stihl part number for MS660 chain tensioner? The one I got off net was 1125 007 1021. The spur gear in that one is 14.6mm fits my 361 but not the 660. The one in the 660 is 15.6mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that may be because the manufacture did it wrong. buy the kit from someone else that is using the correct cast. the stihl part number is correct, just go to your stihl dealer kit is likely $10-15. others have used the stihl oem part and it worked perfectly. don't know what stihl region you are in but if you are in the northern part 13.49$ should do it

Well yesterday I noticed on my first kit the chain adjuster wasnt feeling smooth. I tore it down and found there is to much play in the groove for the gear with the threads so the two gears pushes apart to far and tries to strip. For a temp fix I shimmed it towards the gear with the screw driver slot for a tight fit then screw the metal hold down in place. It will probably last like that but I don't want to keep it rigged. Thinking about a small plastic sleeve cut in half.
Someone with a bare case install the adjuster and move it back and forth and you can see the slack. I took my adjuster out of a oem 660 case

Just built one and it runs great. Used my a-frame press to put the cases together. Only thing I replaced was the chain tensioner. Ordered another one with big bore kit and the MS361 with big bore kit. Too early to tell how long it will last. My wife is ready to kill me, got 7 saws and more on the way. Turning into a chainsaw junkie, cannot stop buying parts off eBay.
H E L P!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That HELP!!! wasn't understood by me. Is it you would like more help finding good deals or avoiding further CAD episodes??

Hello all, new member here all because of this thread! I had stumbled across some Youtube vids of these being put together and ended up finding this thread and decided what the hell why not winter's coming up and it'll give me something to do and I'm always up for a challenge! I got the kit ordered yesterday and am doing my research to get anything else I need ordered before it arrives. Sounds like I should get an OEM chain adjuster, oil and fuel caps, probably Caber rings, anything else? Haven't decided if I'll try and heat and chill cases/crank or take it to work and use the press. Still debating the BB kit, worried about reliability and idling? Are there better BB kits other than Huztl? Don't want a finicky saw. Regardless of cylinder I will do some basic cleanup work to the ports, it's been awhile but I used to port motocross bikes back in the day. Anyways thank you to all for the great information and videos that have been shared, I would never have expected to be able to get into such a big saw for so much less than the real deal.

Hello all, new member here all because of this thread! I had stumbled across some Youtube vids of these being put together and ended up finding this thread and decided what the hell why not winter's coming up and it'll give me something to do and I'm always up for a challenge! I got the kit ordered yesterday and am doing my research to get anything else I need ordered before it arrives. Sounds like I should get an OEM chain adjuster, oil and fuel caps, probably Caber rings, anything else? Haven't decided if I'll try and heat and chill cases/crank or take it to work and use the press. Still debating the BB kit, worried about reliability and idling? Are there better BB kits other than Huztl? Don't want a finicky saw. Regardless of cylinder I will do some basic cleanup work to the ports, it's been awhile but I used to port motocross bikes back in the day. Anyways thank you to all for the great information and videos that have been shared, I would never have expected to be able to get into such a big saw for so much less than the real deal.

Go with the 54mm version. Cheap to change to a better 56mm when they are available. 54's are easy to live with. A paint stripper heat gun is all u need for a heat source along with a lazer/non contact thermometer if u take that route. Me? I just use a press and be smart about where and how you stress things. get another pto side seal so you can pluck out the one that is already been installed. Folks seem to be boggled with that and it's real easy to pop the seal in after the cases r together. The intake and transfers will need some touch up.

Good to know, thanks weimedog, your vids are the ones I accidentally stumbled upon that gave me the idea to go ahead and try this! I have the heat gun and NC thermometer so may give that a try, using the press at work may not be the ideal circumstances, very busy and not a good place to concentrate unless I go in on a weekend. I will probably visit the Stihl dealer this weekend, should I just order the OEM seal?

Good to know, thanks weimedog, your vids are the ones I accidentally stumbled upon that gave me the idea to go ahead and try this! I have the heat gun and NC thermometer so may give that a try, using the press at work may not be the ideal circumstances, very busy and not a good place to concentrate unless I go in on a weekend. I will probably visit the Stihl dealer this weekend, should I just order the OEM seal?

Any thing OEM is an upgrade, especially seals so yes, a good idea. The press is a lot less effen around ;) prefer that approach on those 660's myself. But heat will help. Issue is the pro bearing is a nylon caged deal so have to get enough heat...to tap things. Don't thing you want enough to slide the bearing onto the crank. And remember the bearings and seals are pre installed ( I still think you might want to pop out the pto side )

Oem Seals and wrist pin bearing ..... think I read about a 066 jug that was cast as a copy of a masterminded jug

Back