Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started another 660 build tonight. I just buttoned up the the cylinder. For the first build I got a OEM decompression valve I just installed the one that came with the kit on this one I tried pulling the black button off and it seems pretty secure. If it does come off what is the worst thing that happens does The valve actually drop down into the cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My plastic button was very secure too...pulled hard as I could with two fingers on it and it stayed put. About half way through the 4th slabbing cut in a 10' oak log, I looked down and it was missing. The valve performed perfectly before and after it popped the button off, so I'll turn a custom aluminum replacement and lock it in place with an offset pin. When they pop they must get some good distance...never did find it. As long as the internal friction spring is holding the valve snug, I can't imagine how it could get into the cylinder...there's always positive or neutral pressure present. But I would not want to operate it long term without a button just in case the friction spring lets go.

I've posted this before but worth repeating.
520ee360889f9f4385ad079d33622c7e.jpg

I have much more confidence in the Stihl offering.
d35853d060162fc7ced1bff6f9e78be8.jpg

I did have a landscaper fellow come by with a MS441 that had swallowed its decomp stem (OEM). Fortunetaly it caused little damage.[emoji15]

They will suck down into the cylinder. First they normally slam open and closed as the piston goes up and down with loss in power. The oem is molded around the stem as AM is just pushed one like in the pics. I think the heat helps the AM

Yes Driver you're post was the one I was thinking of. couldn't remember where I saw it. Should have searched it.

Secondly the blow by holes seem huge. Worth the 14 bucks for oem. I'll get it going with this valve I'll place an order today on the way home from work

Shipping time was great for me. I got it in 8 days from payment to front door.

I used the one with the kit. I tried to pull the handle off to epoxy it and it wouldn't come so I used it as it was. I did lap the valve with valve lapping compound to get a better seal.

However when I ran the saw the first time I guess the heat and vibration made the button handle fall off! So, definitely epoxy it.

If the handle comes off it probably won't fall into the cylinder, The detent on it is pretty strong. But, it could... and that would be a real bummer!!

I ordered another 660 kit on 2/19 and it arrived today. I'm a little disappointed that the bar studs are not the new tapered style. I purchased a Vostore 56mm cylinder to go on it. The Vostore cylinder looks okay with a large base and minimal chamfering on the bottom of the bore.

Mine are not tapered either. I made pretty good progress tonight the only things wrong so far are the brake handle has a crack in it. Not all the way through but ... and I am missing the m6 bolts that hold the bottom of the muffler. And I'm sure I'm misssing the m5 nuts again when I attach the spikes.

My kit didn't come with tapered studs, but I did order some spare studs as well as some extra hardware. The ones they sent as spares were the tapered ones.

Its weird because the pic of the part on their sight is studs without the taper... Maybe worth the couple bucks to order some extras if you want the tapered ones.

My kit didn't come with tapered studs, but I did order some spare studs as well as some extra hardware. The ones they sent as spares were the tapered ones.

Its weird because the pic of the part on their sight is studs without the taper... Maybe worth the couple bucks to order some extras if you want the tapered ones.
I ordered two tapered studs off eBay for $.99 delivered. Hopefully they will be tapered like the photo in the listing.

Mine are not tapered either. I made pretty good progress tonight the only things wrong so far are the brake handle has a crack in it. Not all the way through but ... and I am missing the m6 bolts that hold the bottom of the muffler. And I'm sure I'm misssing the m5 nuts again when I attach the spikes.

Ace has m5 nuts. You could use 6mx20 with a different head until you get some T heads. I might be concerned to use the brake handle be sure you have some photos of the break in case it snaps

I ordered another 660 kit on 2/19 and it arrived today. I'm a little disappointed that the bar studs are not the new tapered style. I purchased a Vostore 56mm cylinder to go on it. The Vostore cylinder looks okay with a large base and minimal chamfering on the bottom of the bore.
The Vostore 56mm cylinders are not good. The squish with a base gasket is good at 33 mils. The issue is there is 95 mils of freeport under the piston in the exhaust port. Yuck! I will be taking it off and sending it back.

Attachments

• 20170401_121557.jpg
    20170401_121557.jpg
    660.6 KB · Views: 51
Ace has m5 nuts. You could use 6mx20 with a different head until you get some T heads. I might be concerned to use the brake handle be sure you have some photos of the break in case it snaps

Yup. I took a picture and made sure to spread the crack out a little more so the camera would show it better. I will send them the picture and ask for another one I have some extra M5 knots from the last build and yes that's what I was planning on doing getting different M6 bolts until I get the right ones.

Roger that

The Vostore 56mm cylinders are not good. The squish with a base gasket is good at 33 mils. The issue is there is 95 mils of freeport under the piston in the exhaust port. Yuck! I will be taking it off and sending it back.

I was wondering about that on this build I installed the Hartsell 56 mm and it has just a touch of Freeport didn't really measure it but it should be fine hopefully.

Did you have that much Freeport with the base gasket Tbohn?

Back