Hydraulic add on questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58hydraglide

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am upgrading my splitter and am looking to install an auxilary control valve for my log lift. I have a boom lift with a single acting cylnder that is current operated by a manual pump. I will be upgrading pump/engine/splitter cylinder and would like to operate my lift with the pump also. Does anyone know of a detent valve with power beyond capability or a closed center detent that can be converted to power beyond? if not, is there a 3 way valve with 20-25 gpm capability that can be converted to power beyond. I would like to mount the log lift valve in a different location than the splitter valve. I would go to a 2 spool valve if I had to , but i really like the detent option on my splitter valve and dont want to give it up. Thanks for any info

Just add an aux valve with power beyond were ever you like. The cylinder valve will be the last valve in the chain. All others you add will power to it.

I thought that valves not rated for 'power beyond' were not suggested for power beyond usage because of the possibility of the valve body failing under high pressure on their output port side.

If I'm wrong I'd like to know what the difference in design really is that makes one good for power beyond....and another not.

That is what I thought also. My understanding is that your exhaust oil passes through/by the relief valve and if return line PSI were to build up ( ie valve downstream) that it can force the relief valve closed and a higher PSI is required to overcome relief valve, possibly over what the valve, hoses etc are capable of, resulting in a failure.

Just add an aux valve with power beyond were ever you like. The cylinder valve will be the last valve in the chain. All others you add will power to it.

That is what I was thinking also. My issue is, can I get a 3-way valve(to run a single acting cylinder), with the power beyond feature? I have found them that are convertible to open center or closed center but not PB. I know it can be done, as all of the splitters that are built with auxilary features. But what is the proper setup. Like I said I also really like the detent feature for the cyl. and would like to maintain it.

Of course, it looks like it would be easier to run a 4-way w/ dual action cylinderfor the log lift, but you know how it is , I already have the single action cylinder, and it works.

I've read all about using/not using power beyond valves, I know adding valves in series isn't recommended with out the PB feature, but, the ones on the sawmill log turner/bunks have been running strong for 16 years now without any failure, the ones on the splitter have a few years too. Don't hook up the way I did if you feel it's wrong - I just wanted to pass on that it does work. You aren't supposed to use a motor valve that doesn't allow free flow in neutral either, but I've got a few of those running too.

Diverter valve option

Thanks, blazin. That might be my best option and just have to go with the DA cylinder on the lift.

58 Hyd, You could use a diverter valve, They are used to run two circuts with one control, Meaning you would bump a handle to switch from your crane to the log lift,..Their cheep valves,..Eric

58 Hyd, You could use a diverter valve, They are used to run two circuts with one control, Meaning you would bump a handle to switch from your crane to the log lift,..Their cheep valves,..Eric

Cabinman,
I thought about that also, probably would be the most economical route and the simplest. I would like to not have to switch a diverter valve between log lift/ split operations, but I think that would be a viable option and allow me to use my existing splitter valve, lift cylinder etc. with minimal cost. (also considering how often i actually USE the lift, I don't think it would be that big of a consequence) Thanks

I've read all about using/not using power beyond valves, I know adding valves in series isn't recommended with out the PB feature, but, the ones on the sawmill log turner/bunks have been running strong for 16 years now without any failure, the ones on the splitter have a few years too. Don't hook up the way I did if you feel it's wrong - I just wanted to pass on that it does work. You aren't supposed to use a motor valve that doesn't allow free flow in neutral either, but I've got a few of those running too.

Mike Van,
I probably won't try it because although I believe that if everything is working properly, there may never be a problem, but I'm also the type of guy that has to understand how something works and if i don't, I'm hesitant to go against the grain. I wish I could find an actual schematic/diagram of a power beyond setup in operation.Fro what I've read, in this type of splitter setup, I think the chances are slim that an actual problem would arise, but Murphy lives right next door and sometimes he pops in uninvited! Thanks for the info.

a 'power beyond', means that we have another valve in the circuit............
you can then operate the other valves at the same time........
the last valve body, in the circuit will have a PR valve, hosed to tank return............
on an open centre system, the power beyond funcion, is simply an internall plug in the valve body, that can be removed, or installed, to suit the function.....

i think *s*

the last valve body, in the circuit will have a PR valve, hosed to tank return............
on an open centre system, the power beyond funcion, is simply an internall plug in the valve body, that can be removed, or installed, to suit the function.....

i think *s*

plus 1

i think *s*

I understand the concept but from what I've read, if you have a valve downstream of the lead valve that builds pressure to say 500 psi it can apply pressure on the outlet side of the preceding(upstream) valve's PR causing that PR valve to require an additonal pressure to release it. (That PR's rating is 1500psi, plus the 500psi on the outlet side of it, .. requiring 2000psi to overcome that relief valve (the numbers are arbitrary). Not disagreeing with you at all, I would just like to understand it more before I put it into use. again I'm sure the chances are slim of all conditions being just right to cause this, but I'd rather not take the chance of someone getting injured. Thanks,
Mike

yes you are correct,,,,, one valve will lead to the other valve..etc... but, the last valve in the circuit will have PR, to tank............
set the PR on the last bank to the required hyd pressure
remember,,that when we use power beyond, in an open centre system, the last valve in the circuit will have the overall PR control.
john

Last edited:
actually, the PB is the FIRST valve in the circuit.

if you aren't using the first valve, it sends pressure on to the next valve.

I have a 2 spool valve I bought from surpluscenter.com I use with Power Beyond.
works great.

Latest posts

Back