Hydraulic add on questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Farmerjon

Farmerjon

ArboristSite Lurker
Why tear into the hydraulic plumbing when cable and a couple of pulleys will do it for you? As the ram moves back into the cylinder the cable attached to the ram pulls the cable which lifts the log lift, when ram is all way back or far enough back to roll log on up, roll log into place, as the ram goes in and splits the wood, the log lifter is going back to the ground for you to reload.

nametrux

nametrux

ArboristSite Member
Cabel

Looks like a winner for someone not spilliting large amounts per year. I think your loader person would have to be aleart with the loader going up and down with every stroke.

58hydraglide

58hydraglide

ArboristSite Operative
Why tear into the hydraulic plumbing when cable and a couple of pulleys will do it for you? As the ram moves back into the cylinder the cable attached to the ram pulls the cable which lifts the log lift, when ram is all way back or far enough back to roll log on up, roll log into place, as the ram goes in and splits the wood, the log lifter is going back to the ground for you to reload.

Farmerjon,
Sounds like a good idea, but I have tables set up on either side of the splitter and when i split a big round, I have to roll the halves back onto the splitter to split again and it seems to me that the lift might be in the way every time the cylinder is retracted. How is yours set up?

Blazin

Blazin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Here is what $12.00 for cable and pulley can do with the right design.

I was referring to a horizontal splitter. That setup on a verticle seems reasonable. The only other problem I would forsee is having the lift being a slave to the splitting cycle, is I tend to lower mine down and load more wood on while splitting.(plus the above mentioned)

Last edited:
Zodiac45

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
I was toying with the add on log lifter option for my splitter but I'm just not sure I'd use it all that often?
I'm in the habit of using the splitter in verticle mode too quarter large rounds, then go horizontal for splitting. If anything, what I'll do is to refab a better "table" too replace the bolted on "cradle" that came with the unit. They're all bent up anyways. The ability to split a large piece and sit half off too the side while I'm splitting the other will provide the biggest time savings.