Hydraulic disassembly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forestviller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I removed the one bolt but the cap is in the way of the snap ring. How do I get that cap out of the way?
The engine/tires end of splitter was burned in a wildfire. The piston was retracted and most seals are probably fine, but it's leaking at the "gland seal" during retraction.

Attachments

• 20211014_092938.jpg
    20211014_092938.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Got it figured out. Had to push in the cap with a bfh on an ABS pipe to access the big c-clip, then some work to extract the cap. New seals were $35.
It's an odd setup where the cap doesn't unscrew. I pushed the cap out using the hydraulics with the engine running. It made an oily mess and the cap shot out under pressure. I asked the old guy at the hydraulic shop when getting the new seals and he said that's how they often do it, use the motor power to pop it out.

You did it the messy but safe way. Using liquid power as soon as the pressure is relieved oil comes out and the cartridge stops moving. People that use compressed air once the cartridge starts to move it keeps on expanding and accelerates the cartridge like a rocket through the walls through the shop through the people

Kevin, you are correct.
I did it the semi-dangerous and very messy way. The cylinder was half air, half oil due to the partial rebuild post fire and leaky gland. That sucker shot out and could've killed someone. I got lucky.
If anyone attempts this, make sure the cylinder is full of oil to push the cap out, and not just air or you'll have a pumpkin launching air cannon firing a 5 pound steel slug.

Latest posts

Back