Hydraulic hose question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order a log splitter kit from Northern Hydraulic. The cylinder is a 24inch stroke and 4.5inch. What size lines do I need for this. I want to order them at the same time. My skid steer pushes 21-22gpm.

Thanks Scott

Hoses

I'm getting ready to order a log splitter kit from Northern Hydraulic. The cylinder is a 24inch stroke and 4.5inch. What size lines do I need for this. I want to order them at the same time. My skid steer pushes 21-22gpm.

Thanks Scott

Id go with the 3/4, They will last longer, and flow better, Also,.You might end up using your splitter on a High Flow skidsteer, down the road , and the 1/2 in hoses wood be a problem, I recently checked TSC hose prices against Baileys, TSC was about 20 % cheaper, Didnt think to check the oem tho, I wouldnt use a cheap hose, Unless its proven quality Stuff . T,C, E,J,

Definitely 3/4 from pump to valve to tank.
-10 could work valve to cylinder but its way high velocity and more pressure drop and heat. -10 5/8 is odd size also. I'd go 3/4 without doubt.

1/2 is too small.

22 gpm into the rod side in retract is probably 25-30 coming out of closed side because of the differnce in areas.

Unfortunately, the vendors often put undersized ½ inch NPT ports on the cylinders and valve. Even the ¾ NPT valve is often the same internal casting passages, just tapped bigger for the adaptors.

k

I was just going to order the hose from Northern so I get everything at the same time. I don't know about the control valve. It's what ever is standard on a John Deere 260. I'm just going to hook it up straight to the skid steer and use it's controls. It's going to be mounted upside down so I don;t have to wrestle the big boys.

Thanks Scott

If you are goin from the accessory QC to the cylinder, your control valve would be sized for the flow. Go with the biggest QC to match. I was thinking of the Prince detent valve used on the engine powered splitters. Are you making one of the upside down ones to be able to split from the chair? oh do I envy you.....

k

Yes I am making one so I can split from the chair. I'll just use it to 1/4 the big blocks. Then the go to the super splitter. I also have a tree company that lets me raid there lot for free. But some of the block are 40 plus inches. The let me use their skid steer so I don't have to haul mine. When I make this I can take it with me to use there. I'll be able to haul a lot more home.

Scott

Given Its a JD

Yes I am making one so I can split from the chair. I'll just use it to 1/4 the big blocks. Then the go to the super splitter. I also have a tree company that lets me raid there lot for free. But some of the block are 40 plus inches. The let me use their skid steer so I don't have to haul mine. When I make this I can take it with me to use there. I'll be able to haul a lot more home.

Scott

Iam a Case 1845,guy,..My buddy is a JD, fan,.. He says the JD has more GPM,..and thats why he buys em,...Do the home work before you buy,.. ANYTHING,..T,C, E,J,

Just match what ever your supply line on the skidsteer is, simple as that.

Hey STLfirewood make sure you get the right fitting for the cylinder ports. There an O ring metric I think. I just got the same kit and had to order the fittings from Northstar, that's who Northern gets the kits from. Good luck in your build.

Hey STLfirewood make sure you get the right fitting for the cylinder ports. There an O ring metric I think. I just got the same kit and had to order the fittings from Northstar, that's who Northern gets the kits from. Good luck in your build.

Do you have part numbers for those fittings? I would like to order them. I bought 3/4inch house for it. I bought 25ft. I need to have new hoses made for my breaker also. I should have got 50ft because I'm going to need some for the tree shear I'm going to make as soon as the splitter is done.

Thanks for the info not knowing that could really hold me up.

Scott

have to determine if you have o-ring SAE or o-ring metric.
SAE o-ring are -8 is 3/4-16 threads, -10 is 7/8-14, -12 is 1-1/16 - 12
I would bet you have these. o-ring is most common ports here. NPT in about only in the homewoner market because peopel are familiar with them.

Check the local JD or case or cat dealer, they will have o-ring fittings also..

threads ISO metric ports are common worldwide, but most of the china copy stuff uses NPT or SAE o-ring. I don't have the threads and diameters here.

kcj

Latest posts

Back