Hydraulic question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought a firewood processor I'm doing some work to. It has electric controlled hydraulic valves. Can I take the eletronic part off and install a manual lever? The push button box isn't working but I can make the functions of the machine work by using a scratch all and tripping it from the side. I hope you can understand what I mean.

I would hate to price out a new valve for a 30 gpm pump.

Scott

Are we talking electromagnetic solenoids?? That's what it sounds like. If you can move them manually then the valves and solenoids ain't froze-up. It's hard to believe all of the solenoids have burnt-out coils... one or two maybe, but not all of them. I'm guessin' the issue is electrical... and likely something pretty simple (shrug) Maybe something as simple as a stuck, or bad limit switch.

Do you have power and ground to the push button box??
Got any pictures??

photos would be a big help, and I agree with whitespyder I doubt the solenoids are burned out. Do you have a multimeter?

I see your in the Lou, I'm in Poplar Bluff.

JT

Have not checked power and ground yet. My main reason on wantiCAM00787.jpg CAM00789.jpg CAM00788.jpg CAM00790.jpg CAM00791.jpg CAM00792.jpg CAM00793.jpg CAM00794.jpg CAM00795.jpg CAM00796.jpg ng to go manual is so I can work on it need be. I can't now. Here are some pics. Thanks Scott

CAM00794z (Small).jpg
Would it be possible to take some real clear closeup shots of the places (4) circled in red and back side of power/run switch ?
Solenoids can get stuck. But more likely power, bad ground, fuse or failed limit switch as others have said. PLC etc seems wired out clean.

I have another question. A lot of those wires are from this thing being able to run automated. It's missing some eyes and I will never run it like that. What if I scrapped all of the wiring there Nd wired it uo with nrw push buttons. Could I do this pretty easy.

Thanks Scott

Is it possible to 'wire' out each of the valve solenoids to a push button and manually operate that vave by pushing its button - sure. If all the 'wired' butons werwe pushed in sequence could the processor be made to produce split wood - sure. Some push might be one time, some might be push nad hold in until action is done. Is there a chance of an un-intended mis-sequence - sure.
Might find a lot of the solenoid wires all already in the cabinet.

These 'sure' answers aren't meant to be cocky or simple. quite the opposite. jmo

So nothing works right now?
I hafta agree with spidey, probably something relatively simple wrong, 1, maybe two things monkeying up the whole works. I'd try to troubleshoot it as is before modding things. Looks like it will be a pretty nice machine once ya get 'er goin.
Do you have a wiring diagram or schematic for it?

It looks like a Siemens LOGO PLC in there... damn one of the very few I can't talk to. Looks like it is $200 for the cable and software for the LOGO series. Does it light up when you power the machine up?

Where are you exactly? I'm 2.5 hrs from Lambert Field from the south.

JT

I'm in Hillsboro. About an hour and a half from you. I think wecbeat ypu guys in High School football this year lol. I don't have any books or diagrams on this. it does light up and the display inside the box does communicate. The switches just don't operate anything.

Google says 2 hours from Poplar Bluff to Hillsboro. Could be a safety interlock not made or something simple like that. If you need help troubleshooting it I'm available for hire. The first thing I'd check is the inputs on the PLC to see if they are getting the signal from the switches, then see if any of the outputs are firing when an input is made.

JT

You should look for a PLC tech that needs some firewood. They could probably get you going in short order.

Is the company that made it still in business? They might have a support site where you could at least get a manual.

Jerry

PLC's never seem to work well in woodworking equipment. I've installed a few at the owners request and a year or three later taken them back out and converted to relay logic simply because the guys that maintain the equipment only understand Nema style starters and Allen Bradley 800 series push buttons. The only exception is equipment I've built for woodworking factories that have a maintance staff.

JT

Latest posts

Back