hydraulic Tank for wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM_Grimmy has it right. You actually only need 1 baffle and not 2. Baffle cutout on the bottom for oil to flow and do not have the baffle going to the top, you want both sides to be able to breath out the filler/breather. Either that or you really should have a breather on either side of the baffle.

Temp gauge you could really put anywhere. Put it where you can see it but it won't get damage from something bumping into it. Maybe where you can see if from where you are standing and pulling the levers to the valves. The fill port, I'd put right in the middle, but again, where ever it's convenient for you to fill it from. The drain, I'd probably put near the inlet or outlet side. I'm just thinking out loud, but you could drain it so far, and then if you wanted to get absolutely everything out, undo your 2 hoses, and unbolt the tank and tip it to one side or the other to get the rest out of it.

My temp gauge is also the level gauge. I have a read out on my temp controller and there's a little difference between the two, but the controller is in the cooler and it cools really quick so I'd expect a little difference.

My fill level/temp combined gauge was on my tank front, you can see the three bolts there now, one hit with a chunk of wood and it was toast, had to make an access hatch to put the bolts in, so dont forget a hatch!! Maybe handy later.
BBB

Something like this is what I plan to build for my 22gpm splitter build this winter. I have not decided on total gallons yet (x,y,z dims) but I have a general idea. Have the baffle height higher than your max operating level, or in my case the baffle cutouts on the top. That way oil isnt spilling over and forces it to go through the cutout under oil level. I am going with a bolt on top, well just because I can I guess. I am still missing things like fill, level/temp and stuff but you get the idea.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 28
Something like this is what I plan to build for my 22gpm splitter build this winter. I have not decided on total gallons yet (x,y,z dims) but I have a general idea. Have the baffle height higher than your max operating level, or in my case the baffle cutouts on the top. That way oil isnt spilling over and forces it to go through the cutout under oil level. I am going with a bolt on top, well just because I can I guess. I am still missing things like fill, level/temp and stuff but you get the idea.

that's a pretty good idea for the bolt on top, that way if you need in it you can unbolt it and do what you need too.

I think that looks good. Are you going to put in a diffuser of some sort? That would be my only concern. That way all the oil gets used and get circulated.

Here's a good read for some tips. http://www.ifhgroup.com/wp-content/...c-reservoirs-for-mobile-equipment-7-18-14.pdf

I think that looks good. Are you going to put in a diffuser of some sort? That would be my only concern. That way all the oil gets used and get circulated.

Here's a good read for some tips. http://www.ifhgroup.com/wp-content/...c-reservoirs-for-mobile-equipment-7-18-14.pdf

Thanks for the link, I will have to give it a read. I have not decided on a diffuser yet, I actually design oil reservoirs as part of my job, the main difference between work and splitters is a small reservoir for us is 80 gallons, splitters we are only talking 5 to 25 gallons depending on peoples pump. Oil retention time is something I deal with everyday as well but our oil systems are doing completely different things so having 3,5, or 8 minutes worth of oil for a 16/4 gpm pump that the OP is using is overkill and cost prohibitive. Info on total gallons for log splitters in reference to the GPM of the pump is a little "seat of the pants" from things I have read so that makes me lean closer to 3 minutes worth of oil at the high pressure side. OP's case that would be a 12 gallon reservoir, and that 12 gallons is actual max operating level and not when the res. is completely full. you need room for heat expansion and air. I think often times the oil reservoir does not get the attention it deserves during a splitter build so I am glad to see the OP asking questions and trying to get it right. Sure there are a million ways to skin a cat, but some are better than others. Plus why spend more money on steel for extra baffles if they are not needed, heck a lot of splitters on the market do not even have a baffle.

I would not spend much effort on a tank or storage for hydraulic oil. There are so many ways to get a usable amount of oil for your system without building a tank. A discarded propane tank or ?? I have two splitters . When I was in my 20's I borrowed rented a few units before I was sure exactly what I needed. More than 40 years latter not much has changed. I bought a cradle designed unit with a 22 cfm pump and for most part has done very well, but it looks much different than it did when I bought it. I added about 200 lbs of steel reinforcing a much larger motor with a electric starter and suspension allowing me to get where the wood is. My newer unit has a 24 hp v tech motor and a 28 cfm pump. Guess what no tank to speak of. I had several 6'' x .035'' round tubing left over from something. I used the tubing as the backbone of the cradle with a .075'' flat bar welded on top for the slide and then a shorter section to house the suspension. I plumbed both ends and occasionally reach down and touch the tubes to see if they are getting too hot to touch, but not yet. On a warm day I will often split a couple of cords in the morning and then one in the afternoon then it is time for a nap. The temp has reached 180F but by then I am worn out. Thanks

I would not spend much effort on a tank or storage for hydraulic oil. There are so many ways to get a usable amount of oil for your system without building a tank. A discarded propane tank or ?? I have two splitters . When I was in my 20's I borrowed rented a few units before I was sure exactly what I needed. More than 40 years latter not much has changed. I bought a cradle designed unit with a 22 cfm pump and for most part has done very well, but it looks much different than it did when I bought it. I added about 200 lbs of steel reinforcing a much larger motor with a electric starter and suspension allowing me to get where the wood is. My newer unit has a 24 hp v tech motor and a 28 cfm pump. Guess what no tank to speak of. I had several 6'' x .035'' round tubing left over from something. I used the tubing as the backbone of the cradle with a .075'' flat bar welded on top for the slide and then a shorter section to house the suspension. I plumbed both ends and occasionally reach down and touch the tubes to see if they are getting too hot to touch, but not yet. On a warm day I will often split a couple of cords in the morning and then one in the afternoon then it is time for a nap. The temp has reached 180F but by then I am worn out. Thanks

Do you have any pics of your wood splitter? I also like to hear what you like and dislike about your build to maybe incorporate into mine.

thanks for the Link there is a lot of good info in there.

Thanks for the link, I will have to give it a read. I have not decided on a diffuser yet, I actually design oil reservoirs as part of my job, the main difference between work and splitters is a small reservoir for us is 80 gallons, splitters we are only talking 5 to 25 gallons depending on peoples pump. Oil retention time is something I deal with everyday as well but our oil systems are doing completely different things so having 3,5, or 8 minutes worth of oil for a 16/4 gpm pump that the OP is using is overkill and cost prohibitive. Info on total gallons for log splitters in reference to the GPM of the pump is a little "seat of the pants" from things I have read so that makes me lean closer to 3 minutes worth of oil at the high pressure side. OP's case that would be a 12 gallon reservoir, and that 12 gallons is actual max operating level and not when the res. is completely full. you need room for heat expansion and air. I think often times the oil reservoir does not get the attention it deserves during a splitter build so I am glad to see the OP asking questions and trying to get it right. Sure there are a million ways to skin a cat, but some are better than others. Plus why spend more money on steel for extra baffles if they are not needed, heck a lot of splitters on the market do not even have a baffle.

Yeah i used a couple of buddies splittlers and the big thing i seen in theirs was the tank being too small / nothing in side of them to try and get the oil temps down. in the fall last year when we used a buddy of mine you could probably fry an egg on top of it, and we were in like 55, to 60°F weather. couldn't imagine trying to get stuff done in the summer. I like GM_Grimmy's desgin he came up with simple enough for me to make, and have welded up. i still do want to make it larger than i need though just because i can haha but don't want to regret not trying to get another 5 gallons in or something.

My splitter that incorporates the heavy duty tubing is not close by. My older splitter is sitting about 150' away from my office and could send pictures of that. My splitters weigh in about 1100 lbs so they can not sit easy into a pickup so they have to be towed anywhere they go. The only thing that has come up with splitters in 40 years is suspension. I tried guillotine designs and they nearly killed me or my back. I had about 200 cords of eucalyptus awhile back and found it does not split well. Splitting 36'' to 40'' rounds was no problem, but when they exceeded 36'' they had to be broke apart a little by hand. So the guillotine was of no value. Both of my units use 6'' rams so they produce about 50,000 lbs and are pretty fast. Log lifters did not prove to be of any value because they were more clumbsy and not necessary, but for those who live where terrain is flat then maybe a processor is in order. I usually set up some type of ramp on a hillside when I have many large rounds and roll them up to the splitter and brake them up. The simple cradle is fast and effective once they have some suspension so they do not fall apart once they arrive at the splitting site. If the tank is incororated in the design of the unit heat will not be an issue because the heat will be dissapated through out the entire metal work. Thanks

Either decent sized tank or a cooler.

A few books I've read talk about a gal in tank for every gpm of pump, but I've yet to see that on a bought splitter. Usually 5-8 gal tank and 12-20gpm pump.

Ideally temp of oil should be 140-180*

Latest posts

Back