I am in need of help with ms660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like shrapnel got the top of the piston. The wrist pin probably locked up and caused the bluing before the plastic cage let go and then it all went to pieces.

A few months ago I bought a ms660 off of eBay. It was relatively cheap and was seller refurbished. I should have known better but I bought it..... well everything on it is aftermarket. Carb, covers, entire engine and cases. Very few things are original. I didn't know before buying. I knew the cylinder and piston were. Had a big bore kit on it. I've been using it for milling. I swapped out the "actual" stock oil pump for the bigger oil pump. Which I ordered from stihl. Which wasn't cheap. But anyway. My problem is the saw blew up. The needle bearing destroyed itself. I caught it quick enough that the crank and crank bearings are not messed up. My concern is that it turned the end of the connecting rod blue. There are no gouges or pits in it just a blue hue. Should I replace the rod. I'm replacing everything with the hyway big bore kit. But I'm using oem wrist pin, needle bearing, and c-clips. It had a new west coast setup. I know I should go back to oem. But it's crazy expensive.
this is the aftermarket world.

207f3b39637868663b5859f5a49f4d2a.jpg

I use to always mix my own. But now I use the premixed bottles. One bottle for 2.5gallons of gas. It's bought at the dealer. I think I will go back to mixing my own. I've always make it richer

I use to always mix my own. But now I use the premixed bottles. One bottle for 2.5gallons of gas. It's bought at the dealer. I think I will go back to mixing my own. I've always make it richer
i put a 2.5 gal mix to 2 gallons for over 20 years with out any problems.........they say 32-1 is best. yea, i would mix rich........your workin her pretty hard there.

That log took me a hour to cut up. All a 1"3/8 that way when It dries I can plane to 3/4 and take out any little twisting in the wood. The logs are only 6' long as the bobcat wouldn't pick up anything longer.

I would love to build a bandsaw to mill logs. But for now i have to use my saw. I Want to build a timber frame house. Which is what I did until prior to this spring for 17 years.

I would love to build a bandsaw to mill logs. But for now i have to use my saw. I Want to build a timber frame house. Which is what I did until prior to this spring for 17 years.
Thanks treeslayer my boss doesn't believe me about mixing richer. So I did what we do at work now, "a tree service company"
the boss always know better:D:D:D:D

If the saw was bought by the seller i think it was ,you may contact them ,i think there was a piston skirt issue with a few saws ,you may get some replacement parts or the saw repaired ,

On the oil 32 to 1 has been making my saw live milling ,dual port muffler cover helps get the heat out of the saw also ,my saw ran real hot with the flat front cover ,i tried it for a bit to quiet it down some ,went back to the dual port cover ,runs much cooler now

I sold a clean 084 to buy this 660. I sold it because I was afraid parts would be hard to find very soon for it. Wish I would have kept it now.

I sold a clean 084 to buy this 660. I sold it because I was afraid parts would be hard to find very soon for it. Wish I would have kept it now.
now you learn no saws from ebay exept if you know the seller

Latest posts

Back