I am new here and to chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As some of you know I had the Bradford Pear removed and stump grinded deep and around the attached roots. No chemicals. This was last fall. Now I see these little suckers growing.
Will they eventually stop coming out?
Yesterday I went ahead and cut them close to the root and I also cut and pulled out more root runners.

Attachments

• 20240312_182906.jpg
    20240312_182906.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
No. They will continue to attempt becoming a tree. At least for a while.

If you keep mowing the yard, they will most likely stop growing eventually. The roots beneath the ground are still alive, and so long as that condition doesn't change, the roots will keep sending up shoots.

Solutions:
1. A quick treatment of dandelion killer will probably do the job. Given that looks like your front yard, I would encourage the use of a common, inexpensive herbicide.
2. If you are opposed to the use of "chemicals", it will be sufficient for you to take a shovel or mattock and keep excavating the shoots and their roots until they die. This should be a small chore done weekly, then sprinkle a bit of seed on the areas you disturbed digging up the shoots. This will restore your lawn while minimizing your expenses.
3. You might see if the stump grinding service will return at no cost and grind out the roots they pretty obviously missed. If you probe at the base of each shoot, you will find a root near the surface.

As some of you know I had the Bradford Pear removed and stump grinded deep and around the attached roots. No chemicals. This was last fall. Now I see these little suckers growing.
Will they eventually stop coming out?
Yesterday I went ahead and cut them close to the root and I also cut and pulled out more root runners.
Glyphosate painted on will take care of them.
And thanks for coming back and updating the situation. So many ask a question and disappear.

Yeah, roundup might do the job, as would any number of other herbicide/chemicals. Roundup will also kill the grass beneath if the operator becomes even a little sloppy while "painting" on the target plants.

Roundup has recently acquired a bad reputation, and that member has made comments that suggest they aren't too keen on the use of chemicals. So I only suggested a common and widely accepted herbicide. Which, incidentally, doesn't have lawyers all over the country salivating with the hope that they can find another roundup user with non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

https://www.getgordon.com/faqs/who-qualifies-for-the-roundup-lawsuit/

Ideally, before grinding the stump you could have drilled it full of holes and poured Epson salt in them to kill the stump. Now that the stump is gone, you don't really have a centralized target to attack so you're stuck with their gorilla warfare attacks.

As others have said, you can just mow them off. Trees store energy in their roots and that energy is available to sprout new growth when the tree gets cut down. As soon as the root system has exhausted all of its energy trying to sprout new growth, the root system should die and the problem should go away. Try to keep it from growing leaves as they start storing more energy in the root system right away.

If you're going to use a herbicide, you might try something with triclopyr in it. If you get some that's ag strength, you can cut it 50% with diesel fuel and apply it to the cut stems. You might be able to thin it down further and spray it on the foliage. It's a broadleaf herbicide. When applied in the correct concentration, it will not kill your grass, but will kill dandelions, creeping charlie, and will knock the crap out of clover. In concentrated form, it can be painted on the sides of trees, vines, and ivies to kill them. Personally, I'd just use the lawnmower.

Latest posts

Back