I am wanting to build a outdoor wood furnace please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where in Indiana are you?

There is a place out west. called "Big Inch" They sell pipeline cut offs. I bought a piece of 36 inch diameter and a 30 inch diameter and built my own in 2007. I have 700$ dollars in it including the sheet metal covering. Here is the link to my photo gallery with some pictures that will give you a general Idea.
If you are interested in seeing it first hand.. There is a GTG here at my place on October 25th, you are more than welcome to attend.
http://www.pbase.com/ericjeeper/solar&page=all

I agree that it is the owners responsibility to continue to ensure they meet the original emission standards, but it is very unreasonable to expect they continuously upgrade to ensure they meet all future standards. CT test's for auto emissions and they do not hold a 1978 auto to the same standards as a 2008 auto. I can only assume this theory would spill over to OWB's but I could be completely wrong as it does make too much sense for the government to buy into.

For the OP, I've read about people using propane tanks to make an OWB.

If my sarcasm is lost in the text forgive me.

Is it ? We are talking about a small minority of people with OWBs AND politicians. I doubt any politicians are going to be handling enough wood in a year to keep an OWB fed properly. As such they rely on advisors to read up on such matters and how they should act. They are looking to stay popular and in office. If they lose your vote but gain 10 more that is what counts to them.

If more people have an OWB like most people have cars then it might be unreasonable to expect every one of them to stay in complete compliance.

As it is, the amount of money needed to bring all existing OWBs up to current emissions standards is a very small amount compared to all the older vehicles still on the highway to comply with current standards. Granted a $3,000 - $4,000 retrofit or $8,000 upgrade is no small amount of money but to them it is pocket change. It is costing the consumers not big business. We all know big business supports America not the consumer. :dizzy:

I hate discussing politics, I wouldn't make a good one because I seldom go with the popular opinion.

How much worse of one could he build from a set of plans than what has been on the market for the last 20 years?

The fire starting method doesn't affect the smoke output after the fire is going. I light my fire in the fall and it doesn't go out til spring. What causes smoke in the OWB is if the wood being burnt isn't seasoned or is wet it will smoke quite a bit as well. After bout 2 hours of burning my stove doesn't smoke much.

Kyle

It was a thought. I was thinking of the older OWBs or a homebuilt not the current generation of EPA certified boilers. I know in my exempt wood stove my burn times were at least doubled with the same amount wood by burning top down. The heat output during that time was more even throughout the entire burn time and kept the house just as warm in the middle of winter. In just a few minutes I have a virtually smoke free fire, not hours. But then you have a CB5036 and sound like you have tried this a few times to be certain.

Latest posts

Back