I call B.S. on Stihl. My dyno doesn't lie. MS 461 is king over MS 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to do a wood test soon as this 660 is getting a mod soon then it's onto more testing. I have some 30-36" english walnut rounds I could cut some cookies out of. I have a 36" bar and a bunch of loops of new loops of RSC and A bunch of square ground chain. I'll place a tach in view of the video camera so you guys can see the rpm in the cut. Tomorrow I'll have a couple hours free to do some wood tests.
I'm interested to find out if you notice any reason to tune differently in the cut vs on the dyno. Logic - to me - says that if the weather, altitude and fuel are the same then the tune should be the same, but I'm curious nevertheless!
While I'm asking stuff - will you let us know how many bananas each saw produced? Just as a baseline for when a 372/385/390 et al come up against your dyno?

Chad, i have said the same thing about these two saws.......however, after the 660 was ported it was a different story.
according to Randy and the other builders, the 660s port timing is flawed from the factory.

461 is more impressive stock than a 660. I don't doubt the test results are wrong. A new 660 is a turd with muffler work and port work. The 661 is a step up. I need to get time to send a husky up that way and maybe a 460.

I myself was all for this dyno stuff....But then this joke pops up....
Well Im not saying the dyno is wrong but man in our hardwood and hands on use of said saw's this is so not true IMO.....
I kind of get now why the porters shy away from dyno's and say yeah good and all but ya can keep it!.........
Really?

How many of those 660's are totally stock? I think it's pretty clear that stihl has choked their 90cc saw hard - I assume it was the most difficult to make meet EPA standards. I've got a feeling that basic mods might make the numbers quite different. We'll all know soon..... :) :chainsaw:

I'm going to do some more break in. Remember I had a 660 of my own that tested very much the same as this one except that one pushed ahead in torque at like 8000 rpms rather than 7000 rpms like this one. That test the 660 had 20 tanks through it and the 461 was new at the time with maybe two tanks. Both saws are tuned by ear. I have a muffler test to do on this 660 also so stay tuned. Im sure the 660 will win after a muffler mod. Call bs on the dyno I really don't care. I live my life to preach the truth. You won't get bs from me.

I call BS, too. The MS461 has 85% as much brake horsepower as a MS660. The 395XP Husky equivalent to a MS660 has a 1/10 bhp more horsepower and weighs almost one pound more.

The MS660 has the best caps, too. It is the standard.

The 461 we run brand new never fueled at at a GTG was very impressive saw and could pull a 36" I think without a problem. They are very strong runners no doubt.

It has been on my short list for sometime to replace my 460 but I just can't justify the expense at this time

I myself was all for this dyno stuff....But then this joke pops up....
Well Im not saying the dyno is wrong but man in our hardwood and hands on use of said saw's this is so not true IMO.....
I kind of get now why the porters shy away from dyno's and say yeah good and all but ya can keep it!.......(oops edit) if it's a USA EPA 660 I get it? that thing is a dog......
Let's get the wood test done then you can bash me if I'm wrong.

T
And yes I agree Stihl has choked their 90cc saw hard in the USA with the EPA crap to the point an EPA ms660 is on-par power wise to an old 038 mag I guess :confused:.... And yeah the Aussie ms660 still cranks out the hp it was designed to as we don't have the full wrath of the EPA here yet.....Cheers just my 2c :):chainsaw:..........

We have the EPA and you have gun control let's hope we can be freed from each.

Time is not on our side and I can tell you now 100%......real world aussie hardwood....

....And yeah to us (at my work and my part of the world north east QLD)

Hard wood is HARD all over the world. It ain't some kind of franchise, Bud.

Queens Land is a rough soundin' pleece, I will give you that.

Aussie hardwood seems a different level of hard...

Gotta admit though my mastermind 660 loves chomping it up, we've got stock 660s, 460s and 461s at work, the 46s wear a 20" and the 660s a 25". They cut differently both with 3/8 .063 RS

Back