I call B.S. on Stihl. My dyno doesn't lie. MS 461 is king over MS 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scanned most of this thread and don't really know what to make of it. The opening post provided HP and torque data for two saws but I am somewhat lost with the importance of torque data other than how it applies to HP. I believe the important data is HP and remember, HP= (torque)*RPM/5252. Horsepower or just plain power is a measure of doing work and is calculated from measured torque along with RPMs and applying both to the above formula.

I only cut wood on a needs basis although as a young man I climbed trees for a living. So with that in mind if I had to select a preference between two saws with nearly identical performance I would be looking at other factors such as purchase cost, weight, fuel & oil capacity, ease along with cost of maintenance, reliability, local parts suppliers and so forth. So my saw of choice today is what I can afford, an old heavy 056. Just my thoughts--

Foggy

I don't fully grasp the HP/Torque relationship even though a buddy of mine that used to piddle in amateur drag cars tried his best to explain it. I just have to take for granted that high torque engines work best pulling heavy loads and high HP engines work best making speed without really understanding why. It doesn't make sense to me. Seems like a high HP engine geared correctly would do the same work as a high torque engine, but apparently it won't. :confused:

HP is directly related to torque and RPM. One cannot have torque without HP or visa versa. Turning my above formula around, torque = HP*5252/RPMs. And that is a fact of physics regardless of what others think.

Foggy

You were supprized to see 17 pages, with different porters saws goin head to head and maybe a few stock ones for reference. I'm thinking about 500 pages. :)
And lots of :laugh: And :cry:

So how do low hp engines with low rpm make lots of torque. 7.3 L ford diesel 285 hp 525 torque 3000 rpm.
Ford mustang 365 hp, 315 torque, @ 5500 rpm
Diesel numbers from ford
Mustang numbers from dyno on my brothers roush.

Deets-- you have to look at the HP/torque curves. Generally, a diesel develops most HP at low RPM while a gas engine develops its most HP at high RPMs.

What the heck are you building shown in you avatar?

Latest posts

Back