I cannot understand why people love loop handle trimmer/brushcutters.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catbuster, what I am really asking, is who would pick a loop and grip over a bike handle for area mowing?

There are a couple of answers as to who:

-Someone with just one machine, and it was a loop handled machine
-Someone who prefers the feel of a loop handle. I have landscaping subs who won't use bike handles for anytbing. They're used to them, and that's what they prefer to use.

I bought a back pack brush cutter in the U.S. It has a loop handle. Best set up for cutting on steep ground and less fatiguing for long jobs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, you are right. Maruyama offers a couple as split boom models. But as far as I know, they are the only company to offer such a thing new here in US. But Husqvarna, Stihl and Echo have them overseas, just not here.

Good answers. If I were johnny home owner in the suburbs, any kind of bike handle machine would be overkill. But I am not johnny home owner in the suburbs. :chainsaw:

Bro, you might need to reconsider your needs and view of yourself in regards to this stuff. Based on some of the stuff you've said on here you are way closer to "johnny home owner in the suburbs" than a professional of any sort.

I like a bike handle for low cutting jobs continuing for large lengths of time, however for vines and blackberries that are over your head, I found the best use for my fs 250r was with the U shaped shredder blade. The loop handle allowed me to swing it up over head height and throw it forward. I tried it with a harness and it only severely restricted my freedom of motion. I was able to clear a dense blackberry area 15 foot wide by 200 foot long in under 45 minutes and when done, it looked like the ground had been tilled. So YES loop handles have some excellent uses.

Man, I understand that! I lost the photos when my pc died last month but I had photos of the bank I am talking about before I started. The blackberry vines were well over my head and that was bowed over by gravity. I bet they were 7-8 foot layed out. I cleared it by hand with a machete. Anything beats that!

If I had to chose just one, it would be a loop handle. I prefer them for everything but flat ground clearing. Can't stand bike handles on a slope. Strongly prefer to attack a slope with a loop starting at the bottom working across then up. Of course, it that's only if it's too steep for a dual hydro walk behind. And that's pretty dang steep.

I've got the same problem and I love running and trimmer just as much as anyone but I sprayed the whole damn thing with Roundup last summer and it was so much easier than trying to cut it.
I agree, but eventually I've run into a problem. Thorny ground hugging burrs now cover a lot of the areas I've been spraying over the years. Why is that?

I love both for different uses if I just want to do some path edges and things it's the loop handle but if it's continuous strimmer I'll grab the bike handle I even prefere the bike handle for banks

If I had to chose just one, it would be a loop handle. I prefer them for everything but flat ground clearing. Can't stand bike handles on a slope. Strongly prefer to attack a slope with a loop starting at the bottom working across then up. Of course, it that's only if it's too steep for a dual hydro walk behind. And that's pretty dang steep.
I see no problems working slopes, embankments, with the bike handle. All one needs to do is adjust the handles to the correct position according to the slope.

I agree, but eventually I've run into a problem. Thorny ground hugging burrs now cover a lot of the areas I've been spraying over the years. Why is that?

Maybe because the chemical you using is only for leafy, soft stem vegitation? There is a different chemical for woody stemmed vegitation. I can't think of the name right off hand. Crossbow is a concentrated version. The chemical is 2,4 dimethyl-something or other

On a funny, non related note: I lost my 250 Airecut. I reorganized my storage, read: table, onto a shelving unit and lost the blade in the process. I think I had it in the box for safe storage.

I guess if you are a real high speed, low drag operator then the only way to go is loop and bike both.

The biggest issue with bike handles vs loop is the power head, bike handles usually have higher cc power head while loops are usually smaller cc. My ideal combo is the old Husqvarna 235r brush cutter on a 225r trimmer shaft because both power heads are interchangeable between setups. I prefer the loop handle on steep slopes because of the extra maneuverability but bike on flatter ground.

The biggest issue with bike handles vs loop is the power head, bike handles usually have higher cc power head while loops are usually smaller cc. My ideal combo is the old Husqvarna 235r brush cutter on a 225r trimmer shaft because both power heads are interchangeable between setups. I prefer the loop handle on steep slopes because of the extra maneuverability but bike on flatter ground.
Half LooP
chaps.jpg
BIKE HANDLES
setup.jpg

The thing that inspired this rant is a bank. It is way too steep to mow with any kind of mower. It has got to be at least 30 degrees maybe even slightly steeper. About 100 feet long and over six feet wide for most of its length. Very uneven in parts. It grows over with thick grass and vines quickly. I really don't like mowing it with a loop handle. It is very taxing to do a swath that wide in one pass. But two passes would take a long time. Maybe my technique is bad.

Hey a newsawyer ,,

What you describe here is my office.It is a horrible nasty place,,and usually stink hot here in Aus.Add a few rocks , slippery terrain, some tough growth that requires a blade and it can be your own private hell.Vines straight up tell me your gunna get some kickback.The difficult and steep terrain tells me your gunna need your balance and grip , in this situation it is ideal to be running a clearing saw in conjunction with a well balanced harness and some quality boots, maybe even an ipod to distract you from the pain,,, LOL. Really you just want to reduce your time in such hard and tiresome situation so power and technique is always your fastest way out.This is how I would approach your situation . I would be reaching for my fs 480 or something in the in the 45 cc plus range, you want some power to get the job done fast and some dependable nylon, I would be using 3.9mm desert extrusion with a bump feed head to stay efficient, less time on those banks the better.Usually the majority of your energy is being used trying to traverse the terrain more so than the burden of a slighty heavier brushcutter,, which a good harness should compensate for.Personally I would be doing 2 sweeps both working from left to right along the bank, starting from the bottom then going back to the start and doing the top(My back seems to like this better).Once this was done I would tidy up any woody growth that remained with a shredder blade to keep the job tidy.

Hope this helps a little ,,

Latest posts

Back