Just got my first real saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfallscody

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here is story time, might want to get a cookie and some milk.. :)

So every spring I have to do the normal tree trimming and normally I borrow my dads Husky 350 for the work. However, last year I decided I was tired of borrowing my dad's saw so I decided to get my own. Funds were short as I went to the store and I spotted a Husky 137e with a 16" bar in my price range. I knew it would not be like my dad's 350 but figured it would be better than the crap homelite or poulan you find in the box stores these days. The guy at the store said "If you ever plan on getting any firewood, this is the minimum saw I would suggest". Well we do get firewood every year so I figured I was in good shape.

I get the saw home, fire it up and do a bunch of my tree trimming. I could tell right off that it did not have the power of my dad's 350 but was not horribly gutless. It certainly did the job I needed it to do. Towards the end of the day though, as I was getting tired, I let the bar/chain go in the dirt and as you can guess, it didn't cut right after that. No problem I think, I'll just take the file to it. This is where my experience with this saw started to go sour....

I grab my chain file but find it FAR to large for this chain. I had asked the guy at the shop if I needed a different file and he assured me I didn't.. grrrr. So I go back to the store, get helped by a different person, who says that I need a smaller file(duh) and that they do not have any of that size. Furthermore, they do not even have chains for this saw! He said they should get a shipment in the following week which should hopefully have the items I need. I leave my phone number with the guy and ask him to call me if they show up. After I leave I hit up a few stores to see if they have the file size I need and find nobody sells the "tiny" file.. grrr.

The next day I get up early before the heat to get my tree work done and find a nice puddle of bar oil under my saw. GREAT I think, just what I need. The bar oil tank was about half full when I put it away the previous night, it was maybe 1/3 full in the morning, maybe closer to 1/4. So I fill it up and get to work, just wanting to get this over with. Let me tell you, I was cursing that dull chain for the next few hours but it did it's job.

So the next day I take the saw back to the store for the leaking oil tank, it is under warranty after all. The guy in the sevice department says "Oh that is a bad oil tank, will have to replace it. It will take a week or so to get parts in from Husqvarna, I will call you when it's done." So now I am sawless but luckily I have most of my work done.

A week goes by and I get no call at all! So I decide to just drop by on the following weekend, only to find that they have the files just not the chains. I ask the guy why he didn't call me, he says somebody must have thrown the note away.. hmmmm... ok. I then go back to the service department, another guy is working there who can't seem to find my saw at all! He can find the record of me dropping it off and what was wrong, but no saw. He says he will call me when he figures out what is going on.

Another week goes by and still no call. So I drop in there again and this time they can find my saw at least! However, they say that the oil tank still has not arrived and was assured I would be called once the part was in and installed... okay yeah right I think.

Yet another week goes by(a month since I got the saw) and no call, so again I drop in only to find that my saw has been ready for 3 days!! I inquire as to why I was not called and I get a lot of hmmmm's and uuuhhh's but no answer. So I just sign the paper, grab my saw and go home. I get home, sharpen the chain and finish up my trees without issue.

I put the saw in the garage and there it sat for about a month. My GF needed a few little things done at her place so I go out to get saw and find another puddle under my saw.. and the oil tank is nearly empty! I literally yelled "not :censored: again!" So again, I put about half a tank of oil in there and go to my GF's and get all that done. I go home and inspect the saw. It looks like the oil is coming out of the oiler hole, not out of a cracked or broken tank. So I take it back to the repair shop and again, told I will get a call.

A week goes by and I get a call this time, saying the tank has been replaced again and all is fine. I go pick it up, take it home, fill with oil and let it sit for a few days. Again, another puddle of oil.. this is starting to get ridiculous! So I take it back to the store to just get my money back. I get told that all items past 30 days cannot get a refund. I told them that most of that time was spent with the saw in their repair shop but was again told, there was nothing they could do. Pissed off I take my boat anchor home, toss it in the garage and there it still sits.

So fast forward to this spring, trees need trimming again and I am not about to deal with that POS saw again. Luckily, during the past year, I have gotten the local stihl dealer as a client of mine. He tells me a few weeks back that he wants to replace his old slow computer with a newer better faster one.. :). I glance over the at MS310 and say that we can work something out. Well yesterday I delivered and setup his new computer, he gave me a ms310 w/ 20" bar(25" was a bit long for that saw I think) 2 spare chains, a gallon of bar oil, 6 pack of premix oil and a check for the remaining balance. :)

So this morning I did my spring trimming and wow, what a joy! This thing is like a dream compared to that POS husky which is still sitting in the corner of my garage! Starts fast, powers through my elm & russian olive trees almost like they are not even there! :) It is just a pure joy to use.. :)

So in the end, I learned what everybody already knows.. is cheaper to just get the right tool from the start! In fact I went back today and got a Stihl fs-55 string trimmer and can hardly wait for the grass to grow so i can slice it down.. :) I also understand why so many people are fans of stihl products, not sure I will ever give Husky a penny of my money ever again.

Last edited:
first saw

I dont want to cut down your fun from the start. But It is a very common thing to leak oil from the oiler hole. I have 4 stihl saws and some will leak out more then others. Sometimes they wont leak at all. It depends on the postion of the oil pump when the saw shuts down. I suggest when you get done cutting drain the oil and fuel and run the carb dry. Run the carb dry befor you drain the oil. Old gas is hard on a saw. It is a good habbit to get into. The sunday paper works good to set under a saw to soak up oil also. Good luck with the 310.

kfallscody

Welcome to AS! How long have you been reading before you joined and posted? Just wondering.

The husky can be your loaner and get out of a bind saw. I know, you're the kind of guy that never pinches the bar!:spam::spam:

It's nice to be able to trade services/items.

Dan

I dont want to cut down your fun from the start. But It is a very common thing to leak oil from the oiler hole. I have 4 stihl saws and some will leak out more then others. Sometimes they wont leak at all. It depends on the postion of the oil pump when the saw shuts down. I suggest when you get done cutting drain the oil and fuel and run the carb dry. Run the carb dry befor you drain the oil. Old gas is hard on a saw. It is a good habbit to get into. The sunday paper works good to set under a saw to soak up oil also. Good luck with the 310.

First let me say, thanks for the reply! :)

Well I am FAR from an expert, I will admit that up front.. :). I just had never experienced the leaking bar oil before. Growing up my dad had this McCulloch, which is older than me and never leaked bar oil, same goes for his 350. I can understand some dripping from the oil saturated wood chips but to drain the oil tank? It was just a first for me I guess. :)

As far as the fuel goes, I always drain that out and run it dry if I am not going to use it again within a week or two. Is a habit my dad got me into when I was young. I do the same thing with my outboard as working on gummed up carbs are no fun at all!

kfallscody

Welcome to AS! How long have you been reading before you joined and posted? Just wondering.

The husky can be your loaner and get out of a bind saw. I know, you're the kind of guy that never pinches the bar!:spam::spam:

It's nice to be able to trade services/items.

Dan

Oh I have been reading this site since August, when I started trying to find a saw to replace that boat anchor. :)

As far as pinching bars, I would NEVER do that... uh huh.. yeah.. that's it.. NEVER.. :) :laugh:

Here is story time, might want to get a cookie and some milk.. :)

So in the end, I learned what everybody already knows.. is cheaper to just get the right tool from the start! In fact I went back today and got a Stihl fs-55 string trimmer and can hardly wait for the grass to grow so i can slice it down.. :) I also understand why so many people are fans of stihl products, not sure I will ever give Husky a penny of my money ever again.

Good show on the MS310 and on finding a good chainsaw dealer! You might want to think about an upgrade to a trimmer with a straight shaft. The flexible driveshafts in the curved shaft trimmers don't last very long. I purchased a Stihl FS-76 professional straight shaft brushcutter in 1993. Sixteen years of hard use and it still runs like a new one. Haven't seen any FS-55s lasting that long.

Good show on the MS310 and on finding a good chainsaw dealer! You might want to think about an upgrade to a trimmer with a straight shaft. The flexible driveshafts in the curved shaft trimmers don't last very long. I purchased a Stihl FS-76 professional straight shaft brushcutter in 1993. Sixteen years of hard use and it still runs like a new one. Haven't seen any FS-55s lasting that long.

Hmm, my trimmer is the FS-55r, is a straight shaft model. In fact here is a link to the exact model I got. I have to say I LOVE the head on it, talk about easy to load the line in! :)

Hmm, my trimmer is the FS-55r, is a straight shaft model. In fact here is a link to the exact model I got. I have to say I LOVE the head on it, talk about easy to load the line in! :)

My mistake. I thought all of the FS-55s were curved shaft. I just finished installing a carb kit in my FS-76 and it starts on the first pull.

Don't get mad when that 310 starts leaking oil. Many of them do, even new ones. That is part of a chainsaw.
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Husky. They make some fine products, as does Stihl and many others. Sounds like most of your problems were with the dealer, not the saw. Remember that summer is FULL THROTTLE for all power equipment shops, and things do tend to slip between the cracks when they're stupid busy.
Glad to hear that you found a good dealer. If he had just given you a Husky 359, I suspect you would be equally happy.

my 310 is 6yo and it is the only saw that does not leak a drop-zero, nil, nyet, nada.....all of my other modern saws sit on plastic. it seems to me that huskies are the worst, dolmars leak less and the three stihls (020, 026, 310) leak the least. my 357 and 359 lose a good bit of oil, and the 394 drools like a St. Bernard.

Hey Man welcome to the site. We have 3 Husky saws and like them all. No problems to report. But look at my sig. I'm the Stihl fan of the bunch. Like some of the other guys said, I think I have 1 maybe 3 that don't leak some but not like you said yours did. It's kind of normal. Keep that 361 clean and sharp and do a muffler mod on it and it will live a long time if you feed it good mix.

All of our saws are work saws except 3. They get used abused and treated like a good woman. They come home get a good cleaning and a sharpening and a check up refueled and oiled for the next trip out and they just keep on doing there job. I for one don't drain nothing, the gas or oil. There are about 20 saws in my shop that are ready to rock and roll at the drop of a hat or tree. We run my mix in them all. Three gallons of AV fuel 2gals. of high octane pump gas with sea foam at the right dose and 3 ounces of diesel fuel or kerosene for every gallon and Stihl or Husky oil. That's just my doings and I'll catch the devil from some of these guys probably but it works for me. My Grand Pa was a traveling saw miller and I got it from him. The saws that I tear down look like new inside and out. Just freshened up a 028 that's been in the family for 33 years and it looked like new inside.

I'm going to end this novel by telling you to run the hound out of that Stihl that's what they are made for. Run around the hood and cut other peoples stuff for them just use it. Have blast and sling chip and be careful.:chainsaw:

While it is normal for a saw to leak a little, it is NOT normal for a saw to drain its tank, reguardless of how long it sets, or how full the tank is.

I agree with Brad. I have eleven saws built over the last 50 years. They are sitting around with oil in the tank and none leak. In my experience, leakage is often due to installing the bar guard plates and bar without ensuring the mounting surfaces are totally free of any sawdust, foreign matterial or dents. Check valves in the oil passages prevent flow except under pressure from the oil pump - manual or automatic.

Don't condemn the saw because of a crappy dealer.

Latest posts

Back