I could use some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thought I was advancing up the latter in the tree business. Four months ago I was offer a position with a large tree company for this area. Good benifits and a retirement plan. I took the job even though I really enjoyed where I was working. Being in this business for a little over two years I didn't think about winter aroud here and layoff. The bossman took the whole crew to Rockingham, NC to the race. When we got back that night he told me I was layed off. No sign that this was going to happen. So it took me by total suprise. Now it's November and I'm looking for a job in tree work. This is going to be tough, because most crews around here wont hire till spring. I love tree work, but what can I do? The only option I know of is to do something else through the winter. Then check out the field in the spring. I'm not going to do that till I know there is no other choice. If some one might be able to help me out please let me know. Thanks, Billy

Boy, that sucks! Him, springing that on you like that! :angry: What a friggin arsehole!

Maybe its better you got away from him when you did.

Treework lots of time is dependent on the season. We're going into the slowest part right now, coming up on the holidays. You may have to do something else for awhile til things pick back up.

Good luck!

It is a b*tch when plans do not come off as you thought they would. There are a lot of jobs out there so good luck in finding one in the area you want to be in. In the interim, take something to A. keep the $$$$ flowing, and B. keep your brain motivated and active. Sort of the reason I am in Afghanistan right now. I have not enjoyed some the the stuff I was put through with the companies I worked for this year either vis a vis their expectations vs mine-which are probably too high (and I see #2 is still looking for someone to do their dirty and work SLJs for $10-12 per hour). I know the company I work now for is hiring untrained construction workers for $45K per year, and I am sure the US DoD has similar contractor programs in place here and elsewhere-why not consider that in the short term? I am not exagerating when I state I was hired, trained for a week in basic military skills (which I already knew) and on a plane for Kabul in less than one month. Bonne chance.

I'd like to stay off unemployment. That is the very last thing I'd do. Just seems in my head that there is an easer way of getting back to work. I'll ponder this for a while. Then I'll call all the Tree Services I know and ask for a job.

Unemployment Insurance is not welfare.

Buisness owners must pay into it, so there is a concideration there for how much payroll is.

The bossterd you worked for knows that people will do that, he figured it is cheaper then owrking you.

Sign up for UI, look for work and maybe look for side jobs. Just don't abuse it.

Ask the boss if you can get parttime work so that you can maintain your bennefits while on unemployment. That way he will know that he can count on you coming back when the season picks up.

Re: reply

Originally posted by Froggy
Then I'll call all the Tree Services I know and ask for a job.

Whatever you do, DON'T CALL!!! Start with the best company and show up at the office at 0645 with your lunch packed, ready to work! Thats a lot better than a phone call.

If don't mind moving for awhile you could come see whats it like in PA. We have a few mexicans who are going back for the winter and we could use the extra help untill spring. If your any good and like here maybe you could stay.

John B Ward
610 293 9430

Originally posted by SilverBlue
Time to start Froggy's tree service, you will most likely make more money on 1 tree that working for da bossman.
Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem on, running a biz is no picnic.:p
Unemployment is there for sudden layoffs; take it while you need it. mb's got the right idea about jsut showing up ready to go; that would impress me a lot more than phone calls or even resume's.

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem on, running a biz is no picnic.:p
Unemployment is there for sudden layoffs; take it while you need it. mb's got the right idea about jsut showing up ready to go; that would impress me a lot more than phone calls or even resume's.

Oh Pleeese! How many Arborists do side jobs? even if it's small time prunning it's a step forward instead of 'walking a treadmill' and going nowhere.

How many have become thier own boss and never looked back?
I never will work for someone else ever again that's for sure.

Who does the trimming for Duke Power, or is it N.C. EMC? I'm sure Pike Electric has crews up that way and I can tell you from experience they are the one of the better ROW companies. I think MB's advice on 'just showin' up' is great, I'll remember that if that day ever comes. Time to get motivated, up and at 'em Froggy. :blob2:

Originally posted by jblimbwalker
Who does the trimming for Duke Power
Contracts turn over, it was Wilson's when I did my stint 12 years ago, now Asplundh I think, in the Durham region anyway.. It's soul-sucking butchery; if you want to learn tree care best to stay away from them. If you're just starting out, it's useful experience and a secure job. If that's all you want go for it.

Working for someone else is a treadmill only if you can't gradually raise your skills and your pay and your independence. I've seen climbers turn to subs and make both themselves and "da bossman" more money than when they punched a clock. :)

I've seen climbers get greedy and start their own biz, then freak out when the overhead and hidden costs jump out at them. Then they cut corners and hack just to make the payments.
Self-employment ain't no gravy train.:rolleyes:

So what to do guy? Work for the man until retirement age? It’s worse to change careers mid stream or when the body can’t take it anymore. Even if one starts part time and gets experience you are way ahead in the game, and you can always hire someone to work for you down the road. Nobody ever said it was a piece of cake but what is? if you don’t think long term about your future you’re in trouble. How about getting laid off 5 – 10 years from now? Will it be easier to find a good job?

Find a Summer!

If work drops off during winter, why not go somewhere that its summer? A sort of busmans holiday, I know in Aus and NZ they are screaming for arborists. You wont make good US dollars but youll get to work in a different environment and see more of the world.
(oh and you know how much an accent is worth amongst the female population)

Originally posted by SilverBlue
Even if one starts part time and gets experience you are way ahead in the game, if you don’t think long term about your future you’re in trouble.
I totally agree; diversify, diversify. It's a sad day when someone who relies on their body for income finds out that body's limits have been reached.:(

Froggy, I feel for you. I really do.

I was in your shoes a year ago. November 1, last year, I was "let go" by my previous employer (another landscaping company). I was salaried, had insurance, was eligible for retirement benefits, and was in a "middle" management position. Big kick in the a$$ for me that day. At the time, I was 23, my wife was 3 months pregnant, we had only been making mortgage payments for 3-4 months, and had just put down a down payment on my wife's new truck the weekend before.

The way it was done to me was similiar, I had no idea it was coming. It was a Friday, that morning I was told to be back at the office for a meeting at 2:30. Knowing how the company worked, I couldn't figure out what the meeting was about, all I could figure out was that I was either going to get praised for something (I hadn't done anything exceptional in the recent past), get chewed out for something (couldn't figure that out either) or was getting laid off. Worried about it all day too.

Fortunately, after the meeting, I had to clean out my desk (I had brought all of my books and stuff in to my "office" area when we moved earlier in the summer) and while I was doing that I was able to contact some other companies I was familiar with. To make a long story short, I found a new job (literally on the way home), and have been working there ever since.

This time you are in now can and will be stressfull. Not knowing what you will do can be depressing, trust me. If you have to make calls, make calls. If you can show up at someone's office in the morning, do that. If it looks like you will be out of work more than a week, get the paperwork started for the UI. I was fortunate, I knew enough people that I knew before I left the office for the last time that I would have a job if I wanted one. If I hadn't been in that boat, I would have started the UI. It doesn't show up on your credit report (or so I've been told), and it will help until you find a new job. You (or your previous employers) have already paid for the UI, USE IT!!:)

Another suggestion, check with your local landscape companies and see if they need winter help. A lot of landscape companies rely on Hispanics, and many of them head home this time of year, leaving the landscape companies in a pinch for labor.

It all worked out for me, actually for the better. I've got the same pay, more time off, will have a better position than I had, and my wife has insurance. And, I'm 35 minutes closer to home too. I was lucky, I'll admit it. It seemed like everyone I talked to at the time had been laid off at some point in their life too.

It WILL all work out for you in the end. Keep your head up, keep looking, and DON'T give up. Branch out (no pun intended) into other fields if need be, even if it is temporarily.

Looks like I'll be climbing for the line clearance crew on Monday! It sounds interesting! Lots of new things to learn! Any advice would be apreciated! Thanks again for all the support! You guys here are great.! Feels like a group of close friends!!

What is your position/job?

Great news!
smiley309.gif

Re: Reply

Originally posted by Froggy
climbing for the line clearance crew on Monday! Any advice would be apreciated!
1. Line clearance is a necessary evil for the tree.:mad: Look up utility pruning standards and follow them. Or send me your address and I'll mail you a copy.
2. Utility work is a big part of the industry, take pride in it.. The president of ISA is a utility guy from AZ, Mike Neal. He's a :cool: guy.
3. Show up early every day. Being a warm body counts for a lot to your boss.
4. Don't work too fast and show the other guys up. follow the pace they set.
5. Have fun!
:blob2:

Latest posts

Back