I cut firewood because I ........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To avoid monster heating bills, and play with toys. A friend and I cut together for both of us and a day cutting wood is just plain good. I can't explain why, but there's something fun about burying your right foot in chips.

Married with two kids, makes for good therapy.
makes a person feel good on the inside considering my electric bill vs. my other friends on propane heat.

Well, I like a few saws including some muscle saws because....I would be jonesing for something like a hayabusa instead. It's an OK compromise for me and lots cheaper..and swinging the fiskars has replaced expensive target shooting for me. It's the same deal, aim small, hit small, and now I have a lot of stacked up somethings to show for it.

Had oil in the early 70's burnt wood then. Switched to gas when oil went up. We didn't burn wood then, didn't have time to cut wood, so gas was it. Has started to creep up, and stove wasn't doing much but taking up space started burning free wood! Found out how much I was saving on gas been burning since! Plus it gets all my anger and frustrations out from work and such!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because every warm blooded male should be able to have a fire in his house. Mine is in our main living room right where I want it. There is nothing like having a wood fire going when its cold outside. My friends sometimes ask why I work so hard doing it while in the same breath saying how nice and cozy it is in my house. If the power goes out, no worries here. I can heat, cook, and warm water if need be. There is a drive in my soul to heat with wood. As a side note, my wife wears less clothes when its 80 degrees in the living room ;)

I agree with all of the above, I grew up in northern wisconsin, never really thought about it, the question was more likely why ain't ya, ya lazy or just dumb. Now I live 20 miles out mlps, and people are astounded that someone heats with wood, I love telling them about my 15 dollar heating bill. I have no woodlot so finding free wood is part of my fun. That is the long answer however after this winter it could be someone dropped me on my head as a child. I jusr plain love all of it saws, trucks, logs, spiltters, chains, saws, sharpners, files, mauls, chaps, helmets, I could go on. I also love to tell people I am the beast that feeds the beast.

I cut firewood because: Actually I have no valid reason to cut firewood, I just like to see how much sawdust I can make with my 6+ Hp Dolmar.

I agree with all of the above, I grew up in northern wisconsin, never really thought about it, the question was more likely why ain't ya, ya lazy or just dumb. Now I live 20 miles out mlps, and people are astounded that someone heats with wood, I love telling them about my 15 dollar heating bill. I have no woodlot so finding free wood is part of my fun. That is the long answer however after this winter it could be someone dropped me on my head as a child. I jusr plain love all of it saws, trucks, logs, spiltters, chains, saws, sharpners, files, mauls, chaps, helmets, I could go on. I also love to tell people I am the beast that feeds the beast.

I am amazed at the people who are amazed at you! I couldn't see using anything but wood to heat way up there.

Well, maybe natgas, but only if you had your own well. Used to know this guy in Arkansas had his own natgas well, ran his whole house with it, including a genny for electric.

When we were young, we spent all summer cutting firewood. Because of that fact, I whipped every bully I ever had. Swinging a maul or sledge can make a man have a very hard right hook :laugh: so cutting firewood even to this day just keeps me I'm the shape I like! You can't go to the gym and get the results of toteing a big saw, and swinging a maul from sun up to sun down:D

I've been reading this thread all the way through, and never bothered to reply until now. Just got the e-mail invoice from my auto ins. minimum liability insurance on the 2 daughters cars, the family van, and full coverage on the camper. $2000 for the year, and I still need to add the dually on there so I am betting $2500 for a years worth of extortion payments. Add health extortion, and home extortion to that and I am coughing up 1/3 of my income for absolutely nothing but lawyer happy idiots protection.

In a nutshell, I burn wood cause I am a poor bastid. :(

because it pays for my toys i take the month of feb off and snowmoblie from firewood sales

Back