I declare the official opening of my wooding season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That hurts man. Thought we were AS bros. It happened again today. Wasted 5 minutes

I lay the chain or chain mess flat on the ground and start moving sections around.

I can get a better big picture visualization of what every motion I do to the chain this way.

When I try doing it by holding the chain I always wind up with the proverbial "**** and Balls" look that has the cross over for one nut towards me and the other nut away from me.

By putting it on the ground it's easier to see what to pull over and what to pull under.

I lay the chain or chain mess flat on the ground and start moving sections around.

I can get a better big picture visualization of what every motion I do to the chain this way.

When I try doing it by holding the chain I always wind up with the proverbial "**** and Balls" look that has the cross over for one nut towards me and the other nut away from me.

By putting it on the ground it's easier to see what to pull over and what to pull under.

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has chain issues. I'll try lying it on the ground/flat surface. Should just strap them across my body like an ammo bandolier.

I gotta try that. I saw the dealer do it once and couldn't tell what he did. One move and it was done. My method has been to hold it verticle, examine the loops get them to be on the same side of the chain and then pass the chain down through. Basically two moves.

Harry K

I personally find it better to grab it and get the bleeding started immediately. Guarantee it will get me somewhere on the back of my hand no matter how careful I am. Once I'm already bleeding it goes much more quickly.

Unless someone has muscled it inside out, there's really only one loop, it's just in layers, which are on different levels. Easier to see laying flat.. Just look for the layers, they pull out opposite one to the next.

Of course that's easy for me to say, because something similar I am beyond tarded.... I'm having a heckuva time trying to learn a few basic knots that are useful in tree work, like a running bowlegged sheepdipped pulling traverse knot, them things... I look at the two dimensional pics online and can't see it well. I want to be able to get something up in a tree and then be able to undo it once the tree is on the ground. Or something...want to go higher for an attachment point over what I have been doing.

OK, I got one, see if anyone can top it...first time with a saw with a chainbrake, it clicks, locks, chain don't go, I am WT SERIOUS F IS THIS?!?
Well, I'm not sure if this is topping it or not, but I just bought a low hour Craftsman 18" for $20 for this very reason. Guy says "the chain locked up all of a sudden" I asked if he looked at it at all, he said "it probably has saw chips pluggin things up under the cover, I just don't feel like messing with it", at that point I no longer felt obliged to tell him the chain brake was on before I sto...err, I mean bought it from him. :innocent::happybanana:

Well, I'm not sure if this is topping it or not, but I just bought a low hour Craftsman 18" for $20 for this very reason. Guy says "the chain locked up all of a sudden" I asked if he looked at it at all, he said "it probably has saw chips pluggin things up under the cover, I just don't feel like messing with it", at that point I no longer felt obliged to tell him the chain brake was on before I sto...err, I mean bought it from him. :innocent::happybanana:

HAHAHAHAHA! man, that's pretty shifty there! more hahahaha! Hey, if they don't want to mess with it, fine!

I got something like that once from a pawn shop, crap compression, bought it for parts, turned out to be the sparkplug was only in like tenth of a thread.

When I was in high school I backed the tractor over our L65. Cracked the clutch cover (still using it) and bent the tip of the bar. The sprocket seized shortly afterward and bought the bar that I am just now wearing out.

I did similar 2 weeks ago. Ran over with the delimber (roughly 80,000lbs) my awesome running ported, dual port muffler, oversize dogs, 3/4 wrap Stihl 460.
Only thing not junk was the bar and chain. I came close to crying over that one.

I did similar 2 weeks ago. Ran over with the delimber (roughly 80,000lbs) my awesome running ported, dual port muffler, oversize dogs, 3/4 wrap Stihl 460.
Only thing not junk was the bar and chain. I came close to crying over that one.
Very sorry for your loss! That's a big one.

Latest posts

Back